Perceived band hierarchy on SHF?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Crimson jon, Mar 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Good comparison. Both bands are for people who like some extra cheese topping on top of the over the top gestures. Not a fan no.

PhoenixWoman likes this.
  2. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

Batdorf and Rodney - if I see yet another thread about them, I’m going to puke! What’s your favorite third track on a Batdorf and Rodney album, favorite Batdorf and Rodney song beginning with the letter T, my twelve year old son just discovered Batdorf and Rodney—it’s gone past ridiculous.

3. Chance

Chance Forum Resident

Phi Zappa Yappa.

wayneklein likes this.
  4. The difference to me is that Queen (like 10cc) established their unique sound a bit earlier IMHO.
    Well what would one expect? I expected a litany off bands that others like that aren’t discussed much. The top 10 bands are also going to vary depending on what one pay’s attention to (Beatles and LZ or Stones aside). I do think that those who care also list why they think those bands shou
    That care will list bands they feel should be in the top 10.

5. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

Re. the Queen popularity etc. I some of you americans would be surprised to know that there is a 62 page a-ha album by album thread on the forum:

A-ha- Album by album thread

6. I tend to look at bands like these as trying to push the barrier by including music that might not, intrinsically, fit into the mold of rock music or pop much like ELO did with their later recordings, Queen continued to try new sounds whether or not one likes it, I respect their attempts to try different things rather than put out album after album with variations on their sound.

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  7. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Todd
    Elvis
    Joni
    Laura
    Peter

Macca
    Faces
    Beach boys
    Kinks

Welch era
    Taylor era
    Wetton era
    Clarke era

8. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

", say, I'm the only bee in your bonnet!
    Make a little birdhouse in your soul!"

9. aha!:)

Jarleboy and LarsO like this.
  10. Can we please spell perceived correctly in the thread title and elsewhere?

Joy-of-radio, Deek57 and notesfrom like this.
  11. I can't believe the love for Rush here.

12. What is the hero worship of McCartney all about? As some others have said, he is nowhere near as popular in the real world as this forum might suggest.

ARK, Vinny123, Joy-of-radio and 5 others like this.
  13. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

:cop: styx first album came out the year before Queens did....and they kind of had their sound at the start, of course not many heard them for a few years, i think styx was always a little more keyboardy with dennis going off on his synth excursions

14. Crimson jon

Crimson jon Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes i appreciate queen but I didnt know just how huge they still were until this site. Now with the movie they just keep getting bigger and bigger.

Good one....love that song!

15. tvstrategies

tvstrategies Turtles, all the way down.

Brian Eno is a bit of an icon here but pretty obscure in the broader culture - even though every Windows 95 user heard him every time they turned on the computer.

The level of Genesis geekdom (Gabriel / Hackett era) is also extremely high - people posting waveforms of different releases of their various albums. Helped me choose which CD versions to buy - Genesis - early CD versions thread (Ver. 2)

ARK likes this.
  16. Sean

Sean Senior Member

As I once learned here somewhere on these forums, the greatest songbooks were (in a 1, 2, 3 order) from The Beatles, The Rolling Stones and then The Monkees.

17. True but I think the changes as Styx progressed reflected other bands they admired and impacted their sound just as Queen were influenced by bands like 10cc who were influenced by The Beatles and others...

18. Why? They are progressive rock with a guitar hero, science fiction/mythological based themes to some of their music on a forum d9minated by white maLes in their 40’s-60’s. Rush was a mainstay of FM radio in the U.S.

19. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

The Monkees are very popular here.

of course Bob Dylan.

20. Well... I think he is admired by more musicians than his sales actually are and, keep in mind, all the love for The Beatles here. That translates to additional love for McCartney. He was, after all, a member of one of the most popular bands of the 20th century.

21. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

Is this supposed to be irony?

BluesOvertookMe and Zeroninety like this.
  22. rmath84

rmath84 Forum Resident

Somebody is buying those $1,500 concert tickets so there must be some interest in real life.

As somebody said up-thread one of the best things about this forum is that almost any artist can get a respectful discussion, and fans get to indulge.

23. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

"i" before "e" except after "c". Man did that one get drilled in my head in grade school. But it still works!

:tiphat:

SteveM likes this.
  24. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Not really surprised that this thread is pretty much a

[​IMG]

But in fact thankfully there’s lots of forum love for Joni, Bobbie Gentry, Kate Bush, Aretha, PJ Harvey, Taylor Swift, Dusty Springfield, etc. etc.

25. Celebrated Summer

Celebrated Summer Forum Resident

I was actually one of those tiny kids watching the Monkees. According to my folks, it was a big deal for me at age 4 when that show came on.

But that said, I forgot about them after that, but returned to their albums decades later. To my surprise, most of the music was really good if not excellent. Some of it was more adventurous than I realized ("Daily Nightly," "Star Collector"). And there was also scads of unreleased stuff, some of which was better than what they put out (Missing Links Vol. 2 is my favorite Monkees release of all time).

So, regardless of the band's pre-fab teenybopper roots, I think their music is the draw. And I don't really place them alongside the Beatles. I see them more as a classic American pop band of the '60s, like Paul Revere & the Raiders, the Five Americans, or even the Association in some respects.

Anyway, it's not a surprise to me people discuss them here. The Andrew Sandoval book and many reissues of their music make them a favorite for collectors if not audiophiles.

wayneklein and gja586 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.