Percy's song - Bob Dylan

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Leeston, Jun 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HenryFly

HenryFly Forum Resident

Ashley Hutchings' friendly contacts at the British music publishers given the job by Witmark of circulating Dylan's songs around.

2. chrisblower

chrisblower Norfolk n'good

Surely it was Andy Denny who sang it ?

3. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

I've heard a couple of cover versions and enjoyed them but personally nothing compares to Dylan's original.

4. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Oh, don't get me started.....! :(

Sordel likes this.
  5. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Always thought it was rather horribly prophetic (and maybe tempting fate) when FAIRPORT recorded this one.

Nick Dunning likes this.
  6. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

I've always wondered this, too. There doesn't seem to be a definitive explanation, but they recorded several songs that weren't in common currency at the time - Joni Mitchell's Eastern Rain is another. I think the band had access to publisher's demo, possibly through Joe Boyd's connections, plus the Basement Tapes were being circulated throughout the industry by the beginning of 1968, it would seem (hence, Manfred Mann's chart-topper of early that year with Mighty Quinn).

chrisblower likes this.
  7. Frittenköter

Frittenköter Forum Resident

i compiled one, complete with a front and back cover.

Lay Down Your Weary Tune (...And Other Songs) - Bob Dylan

Side 1:

Seven Curses
    He Was a Friend of Mine
    Walls of Red Wing
    House Carpenter
    Let Me Die In My Footsteps (unedited with the verse edited out of TBS1-3)

Side 2:

Lay Down Your Weary Tune
    Quit Your Low Down Ways
    Only a Hobo
    Percy's Song

I hope i'm allowed to share the cover i made using the Cutting Edge 2CD booklet (just pretend the album came out in late 1964 or early 1965, shortly after the pic was taken), otherwise just message me and i'll edit my post or redo it if you let me.
    [​IMG]

8. Richard--W

Spectacular cover-art, Frittenkoter! Great idea.

I would quibble with the omission of Death of Emmett Till, Worried Blues, and his crowd-pleaser Talkin' Bear Mountain.

Let's see some more album suggestions and cover art ideas.

Percy's Song was published in The Bob Dylan Collection, a song book, in 1964 together with Seven Curses, Lay Down Your Weary Tune, Quit Your Low Down Ways, Tomorrow Is a Long Time etc. It's probably in some of his other song books as well, I'd have to check. This song book was still in print in the early 1970s. Paul Williams wrote an intro for the later editions. Between 1963 and 1967 Dylan published several song collections which included songs he wrote and performed but did not release on album. Also, numerous songs were published in sheet-music leafs and sold in music stores. I don't know if Percy's Song appeared in leaf form but since it was in the song books people had no trouble finding it. I have all of Dylan's American song books from the 1960s including the album songbooks and the Dont Look Back movie tie-in songbook.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
    ted321 and Siegmund like this.
  9. Gasman1003

Gasman1003 Forum Diplomat.

That's a Mac, mine does it every time I try to type Fairport Convention :realmad:

10. Nick Dunning

Nick Dunning Forum Resident

Horribly.

The version done for the BBC in March 1969 is just staggering. Knocks the studio version into a cocked hat IMHO.

Siegmund and Richard--W like this.
  11. Richard--W

It would have made sense for Dylan to release an album presenting the unreleased songs that were appearing in his songbooks. Percy's Song would be number one.

ted321 likes this.
  12. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

I remember Arlo's solo piano version. It was on an episode of The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour. For some reason, this particular episode had no live audience in the studio (The only time that happened to my knowledge). Arlo started it with a rambling introductory monologue about the song being long and was interrupted by Tommy Smothers who urged him to just sing the song. After "Percy's Song", Arlo then went up to the stage with his band and started singing Merle Haggard's "Okie From Muskogee." Again, Tommy interrupted him and Arlo started talking about how high marijuana plants could grow. Tommy walked away saying, "Yeah, Arlo, it's not that important." It was all part of the act, of course. The same episode also included Rita Abrams' 3rd grade class singing their hit song "Mill Valley." I've been searching for it,too.

PonceDeLeroy and CCrider92 like this.
  13. JMGuerr

JMGuerr Forum Resident

14. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

Time's a-wastin'! Columbia should just release this right away with some snappy title and cool pics!

15. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

love that song...Fairport Convention does a killer cover of Percy's Song...

adriatikfan likes this.
  16. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

I always thought that all of Dylan's songs were available to the right people back in the day..... Can't touch Sandy singing this, truly beautiful.

adriatikfan, Dr Faustus and Siegmund like this.
  17. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

WOW! Thanks!!! Yes, the Smothers Brothers Show - what a great series they had! - much appreciation for your reply to my post! Cheers! CCrider

Folknik likes this.
  18. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

How could Bob have possibly left Seven Curses and Percy's Song off of an official release at the time?

Richard--W likes this.
  19. PonceDeLeroy

PonceDeLeroy Forum Resident

Great list.!

Only a Hobo
    Walls of Redwing
    Lay Down Your Weary Tune
    Who Killed Davy Moore

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
  20. Tedster

Tedster Forum Resident

Live at Carnegie Hall, 1963

The studio outtake version doesn't do much for me, the phrasing and/or tempo off, and he sounds like he's phoning it in. Meh.

The Carnegie version linked here though - is classic Bobness, when he's "on", he's really on. Nice harmonica break too. This one is fun to play, standard tuning w/capo on the 2nd fret. G harmonica iirc, and I may not. G, F, C, and D minor (shapes) with a fairly standard Travis pick (with Dylan's own style that seems impossible to copy, natch.)

Richard--W likes this.
  21. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

If I'm not mistaken, I think the whole series may be on DVD.

22. Richard--W

Thanks for posting the Carnegie Hall version from 26 October 1963. Most people seem to favor it over the studio take and the Witmark Demo. But I like them all.

Tedster likes this.
  23. Tedster

Tedster Forum Resident

Bob plays it wrong ha ha

24. JMGuerr

JMGuerr Forum Resident

Percy's Song made its first "official" appearance in 1967 in the Don't Look Back film, where it was sung by Joan Baez. (see post 38)

MicJames likes this.
  25. chrisblower

chrisblower Norfolk n'good

Joni did play some folk clubs in UK in 67 or 68 (sorry can't remember when) believe that's when Eastern Rain was played and heard by Fairport members

Siegmund likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.