Performance (1970) With Mick Jagger

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Scooterpiety, Sep 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Stereotyping is not misogyny.

2. ROFLnaked

ROFLnaked Forum Resident

If you enjoy "Under My Thumb," "Backstreet Girl," "Stray Cat Blues," "Brown Sugar," and all that 1970s braggadocio stuff, then more power to you.

I stand by my statement from a week or two ago that I'm not really a fan, but I do like "Memo From Turner." Ry Cooder or whoever it was did an amazing job on the slide parts.

3. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Great 4 songs that no doubt millions like.
    It's only rock n roll though....remember.

4. PaperbackBroadstreet

PaperbackBroadstreet Forum Resident

Great and unsettling film. Even by today’s standards. This proves Mick could have had a serious acting career as well.

All Down The Line likes this.
  5. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

6. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Direct link to the book mentioned in the Guardian article:

Performance | 50th Anniversary Limited Edition Book

Author Jay Glennie co-wrote the beautiful, limited edition book on Nicolas Roeg’s The Man Who Fell to Earth a couple of years ago.

So tempted to preorder this. Perhaps my girlfriend will buy it for my Xmas present.

johnnyyen likes this.
  7. stepeanut

Received Jay Glennie’s book morning, and it’s as huge and beautiful as expected. Early copies are signed by Glennie and film producer Sandy Lieberson. The package comes with two bonus books, featuring early treatments of the film.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chrome_Head and Wes Moynihan like this.
  8. Wes Moynihan

Wes Moynihan Red hot funkster

Thanks for posting Stepeanut.... Performance has been one of my favourite films since I first caught it in the early-90's courtesy of BBC2's fondly remembered Moviedrome. I had my eye on Jay Glennie's book since it was announced, but after Paul Buck's excellent 2013 book Performance: A Biography Of The Classic Sixties Film, I wasn't sure if I needed another Performance book.... Will you post your thoughts on the book here when you get around to reading it please ?

Frederick Mars likes this.
  9. stepeanut

It’s a key film for me, too. Think my first viewing was also via Moviedrome, maybe a ropey VHS in the 1980s.

Paul Buck’s book is decent, but this is pretty much the last word on the film. All the major players who are still alive have been interviewed, including Jagger. It’s also a huge step up in presentation over Buck’s work. This is a heavy, large format book, and no expense has been spared in terms of quality.

It’ll be a while before I get through reading it, but, if it’s anything like Jay Glennie’s book on The Man Who Fell to Earth, then it’ll be immaculately researched.

I’ll try to post a few more photos, to give you an idea of what it looks like inside.

Wes Moynihan and Frederick Mars like this.
  10. Moviedrome!!!!! I still have the BBC booklets that they published for the first couple of seasons. Loved Alex Cox's introductions.

Wes Moynihan and stepeanut like this.
  11. Big Audio Dynamite sample some of the Performance dialogue on the track E=MC2.

Wes Moynihan likes this.
  12. Wes Moynihan

Thanks so much ! I'm inching ever closer to buying this now !

13. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Didn't the film get a theatrical rerelease about 20 years ago in the UK?

14. I think there was a re-issue in the late 80's.

15. stepeanut

Just so you know, it appears that the early, signed copies are now sold out. It was supposed to be the first 200. Mine is number 220, so I must have just gotten in under the wire.

Not sure if non-signed copies still come with the two bonus treatments, so you might want to check on that. These are substantial, dare I say essential, supplements for those with a deep interest in the film.

Either way, I’d thoroughly recommend scoring a copy while you can. It’s a beautiful book, and worth the hefty price. My girlfriend did buy me this for Xmas in the end, so technically it’s cost me nowt.

Wes Moynihan likes this.
  16. Wes Moynihan

That girl is a keeper Stepeanut !

It is indeed expensive - even for the standard edition. I'm still smarting after paying almost €100 for FAB Press's recent limited edition chronicle of the Scala Cinema, so this requires some courage on my behalf !

stepeanut and Frederick Mars like this.
  17. alexpop

Scale screening ?

18. The Scala book is fantastic. I never went to the cinema itself but the book is fantastic for browsing through.

Wes Moynihan likes this.
  19. alexpop

Stephen Wooley did alright, selling tickets front door.

20. Maybe - not sure, but I remember seeing the reissue poster. Just had a look at Wikipedia and it states there was also a new BFI sponsored print put out in 2003.

alexpop likes this.
  21. Wish I had been able to go. Scala showed so many cool movies.

alexpop likes this.
  22. You went to that?

23. Wes Moynihan

I posted something about a Scala concert on this forum about a fortnight ago, if anyone is interested... Flashback to 1980: Industrial at the Scala

I seemed to have veered this thread off the original topic, apologies for that !

24. stepeanut

She’s been equitable.

25. Wes Moynihan

...or I'm a communist !

stepeanut likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.