Pet Sematary (2019)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Binni, Oct 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Karnak

Karnak "81, 82, 83, 84..."

Saw this today. I barely remember the 80s movie, but read the book a few years ago and found it thought provoking. The early parts held my interest but it came to the point where I was asking myself, 'it's getting ridiculous, do I really want to continue to watch this?' I finished but came out thinking, as I have before, maybe King's stuff is better left just in print.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
    Ghostworld and SandAndGlass like this.
  2. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I really agree with this. The best book to film adaptation was the original Carrie, I thought that it was adapted well from the book.

Even The Shining dragged a lot.

I think that Stand By Me worked, because it was not a creepfest.

Most creep stuff, as specially the low budget ones, come across as being low budget and are more dumb than they are creepy.

Generally speaking, "creepy" works better in books than in movies.

I liked The Stand, but it worked because it was made into a mini-series for TV. I don't think it would work as a two hour movie.

The problem with the new Pet Sematary is the opposite of the above examples.

It had a large budget, is very graphic and if you want creepy, this is it.

But, at the end of they day, I couldn't say that I somehow benefitted from seeing the movie. SO much of it is so completely unappealing.

Ghostworld and Karnak like this.
  3. Karnak

Karnak "81, 82, 83, 84..."

"Generally speaking, "creepy" works better in books than in movies."
    Absolutely.

4. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

CHECK I really agree with this. The best book to film adaptation was the original Carrie, I thought that it was adapted well from the book.

CHECK Even The Shining dragged a lot.

CHECK I think that Stand By Me worked, because it was not a creepfest.

CHECK I liked The Stand, but it worked because it was made into a mini-series for TV. I don't think it would work as a two hour movie.

Agree with all of the above.

And, hey, don't forget "IT." I liked BOTH productions of that. Even the cheesy one with John-boy walton.

Karnak and SandAndGlass like this.
  5. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I haven't seen the movie but I read spoilers for it and changes they made to the ending seem ridiculous.

6. SandAndGlass

I think that you could enjoy IT, mostly due to that fact that there was never any "suspension of disbelief" involved.

IT was a movie that you just kind of went along with.

How could there be, with "John Boy" in a horror film?

7. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

It’s going to be hard disassociating bill hader as a comic unless the beat the hell out of him! Lol. I bet they make him miserable in the new
    Movie just
    To tamp down his
    Comedy persona.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  8. SandAndGlass

It's funny, since we were on the subject of "creepy", check out this post in the Last Movie You Watched thread.

And, my quote, two threads down for it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.