Pet Shop Boys - New Album "Hotspot" Jan 24 2020

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mhvbear, Sep 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Interesting - I feel Price is to PSB what Hillier was to DM (overstayed his welcome in producer chair). But we all have different subjective views.

I also think PSB fans are split down the Pop and Art categories. :D

jamesc likes this.
  2. mr_spenalzo

mr_spenalzo Forum Resident

Yep from the website. Got a mail that it's been shipped but don't really expect it until next week.

3. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

Interesting, I pretty much stopped listening to DM because they seemed to stop writing good melodies. Whereas even though Price's production style really isn't quite to my taste, I can overlook that because in PSBs case the melodies are still great. I mean even more dance oriented stuff like Bolshy and Inside a Dream from Electric have great little earworm melodies in them. And on Super, I think Say It To Me, Into Thin Air, Undertow and Burn have wonderful tunes. I think having those 4 songs bunched at the end hurt them, because people may have given up on the album before then.

walrus likes this.
  4. fumi

fumi Forum Resident

Gave it two more full listenings. I find the running order would have been better with either 'Only The Dark' or 'Burning The Heather' (lovely lyrics)' as the last track. I don't like 'Wedding In Berlin' much at all. Really weak. It would have been a poor effort even for a b-side on one of the single releases. Definitely not an album closer. One of the best in recent years was 'Requiem in Denim and Leopardskin'.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    negative1 likes this.
  5. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

Yes 'Requiem and Leopardskin' was a great album closer. It kind of reminded me of a few songs on 'Behaviour'.

omikron, LivingForever and pantofis like this.
  6. fumi

fumi Forum Resident

and the last Parlophone album too. :(

Scottb likes this.
  7. Mr Olsen

Mr Olsen Granddanois

Listening to Hotspot via Spotify Premium and my big speaker set-up, sound quality is not impressive. First impression is flat and loud, I hope the 2CD edition will sound better. Not a fan of the previous Stuart Price albums but this is not bad, some pretty good songs here.

Neonbeam likes this.
  8. anorak2

anorak2 Forum Resident

The entire album can be listened to for free on youtube, it's on the official PSB account.

Hotspot - YouTube

I must say that I don't quite understand the naysayers. Hotspot is totally up there, and should please those who liked them from the start. I also like the Monkey Business single. My letdown was the "Release" phase, but that's long gone.

Lots of Berlin references in the lyrics, thank you Pet Shop Boys.

Groovy and Neonbeam like this.
  9. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Okay, on one spotify listen I take back what I said, this is an excellent album, even the songs that I heard in advance and wasn't too keen on sound better taken in context. The pacing is excellent and most of all the songwriting is up to PSB standards, and I like how Tennant mines the older gay man torn between the realities of his age and the desire to still party angle. Great comeback from the last two albums, I must say. All my opinion of course.

10. MoonPanda

MoonPanda Forum Resident

Its release day. Anybody else who ordered from the PSB store still waiting for theirs to ship?

11. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

I know that no one buys digital albums anymore, but Hotspot is currently number one in 21 countries on iTunes. Maybe in 5 or 10 years, PSB fans will discover Spotify (at which they are pretty much invisible). Probably sell a lot of CDs this week though.

12. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

The age demographic for PSB wants physical product, and especially for a group where design/style/packaging always meant something. Works of art!

I was going to pop into Newbury comics on my lunch hour, but I noticed that Hotspot wasn't listed in new release email. Hmm, I guess I better call ahead...

anorak2 and ChrisInKansas like this.
  13. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Since it looked good I bought the vinyl version today and have just played it!

Nice, lightly textured gatefold with download code. It was a nice surprise to see Tim Youngs "timtom" signature in the run-out. Hell, I can't remember the last time I noticed this. Definitely on UK originals from Nick Cave's "From Her To Eternity" but.... as you are probably aware this is not exactly "recent". :angel:

Next I dimmed the lights, turned up the volume and looked at the overcast sky, nicely illuminated by the city lights. While the music filled the room.

Keep in mind my PSB knowledge has an eight album, 27 year gap so I'm listening to this without being able to make any connections, come to any conclusions. Other than: I liked what I've heard. The sound is a great melange of recognisable PSB elements and a very elegant, contemporary production. The feeling is slightly autumnal/ wintry. Nothing here sounds forced or trying to be "cool". I guess it pays that Tennant and Lowe always were actively immersed in club culture and didn't need a hotshot producer to make them "current". Or update them concerning developments in electronic dance music.

The songs here are all very good, I also like the 70's induced "Monkey Business". And the nods to Berlin that are popping up all over "Hotspot". Love that they put that stream in Tiergarten on the inner and hearing the subway transmission for "Hallesches Tor" at home is bizarre and hilarious. Or as another artist put it: "Had to get the train from Potsdamer Platz. You never knew that I could do that!" But that is another line. And another.... station! :angel:

The vinyl itself sounds great, super silent (as in "no surface noise") with deep clear sonics.

As I said: I have no idea how this compares to its eight predecessors. But I can compare it to the first three albums. Or newer works from bands of their generation. And I have to say: Well done. Very nice album! :righton:

PS: I also like the old school running time of 42 minutes. Just perfect!

14. fumi

fumi Forum Resident

I'm in the UK and didn't get my pre-order double disc from the PSB store. What was the point of pre-ordering this months back when they couldn't even get it shipped to coincide with launch day?

jamesc likes this.
  15. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

the problem is the mastering, not the source. CD is gonna sound the same.

davers likes this.
  16. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

The German Musik Express magazine has a free blue vinyl 7" this month Dreamland (feat. Years & Years) b/w Always On My Mind (live) The Pop Kids (live)

omikron and Neonbeam like this.
  17. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

Here's a nice short interview with them about the album:

later

18. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

Mentioned back here:
    Pet Shop Boys - New Album "Hotspot" Jan 24 2020

later

19. Dave 81828384

Dave 81828384 Unremarkable Member

Just listened to the album. Started listening on Tidal and after the 2nd song decided to buy it from Qobuz.

I was pleasantly surprised. Easily my favourite album since Yes (not including the Agenda ep).

And, oh dear, I liked Monkey Business this time around. :hide: You were right @jeffmo789 :laugh:

portlandjulian, jamesc and JeffMo like this.
  20. MoonPanda

MoonPanda Forum Resident

I'm in the same boat here in the USA. Its release day and they still haven't shipped my vinyl. Has yours at least shipped yet?

21. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

It's not me you need to hide from, it is Mrs Bucki!! :laugh:

jamesc and Dave 81828384 like this.
  22. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

Listened to the instrumentals, many of which are better than the versions with vocals,
    at least to me.

later

Floyd Crazy and anorak2 like this.
  23. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

Same here, mine is not coming until next Tuesday.

24. ukozcd

ukozcd Jedi

Tried to give it more listens.

Monkey Business sounds more and more dreadful on each listen. I prefer the non single songs as I find the singles released all weak.

25. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Hmmm, I rather like Burning the Heather. Reminds me of some of the songs on Yes, the only PSB album I own.

I'm not so fond of Dreamland - sounds like Pet Shop Boys by numbers. Also I'm not sure why the Pet Shop Boys need to use a male guest vocalist. If I had not been told, I would not have known there was an additional vocalist on Dreamland.

mooseman and negative1 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.