Pet shop boys reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fozl1986, Feb 7, 2015.

1. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Same here on singles. Maybe some demos as before. Obscure mixes that made it to UK 12 inch only like a couple found on I Don't Know What You Want, etc. Problem is quite a few of these oddball mixes kinda suck. It was the start of 'Lets make it as far away as the original as possible' phase, Like the Brutal Bill mix of 'To Step Aside' :laugh:

portlandjulian likes this.
  2. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

With very few exceptions (a handful of single mixes by the likes of Beatmasters and Motiv8), the only remixes on the Further Listening sets are ones PSB or the album producers did themselves. No third party mixes, thank heavens. I hope that's the case this time, because let's face it, some of those late period DJ mixes from Nightlife, Yes, and so on are dreadful.

3. c-eling

Completely agree Morgan, I don't think they were meant for the casual at home listener, well unless you enjoyed hosting a rave :laugh:

4. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

Yes I can't stand those mixes but the worst one's have to be the one's for my number 1 PSB song 'Liberation'. I consider that song a pure pop masterpiece and even went to a special 45 minute Imax film in 3D ages ago when I heard the video of 'Liberation' would be in the Imax 3D film. Vinnie Vero did a few great remixes of 'To Step Aside' but they didn't make any of the CD releases. If you didn't know Vinnie Vero was the head of Dance at EMI in New York back in the 90's. Yes the Brutal Bill mix of 'To Step Aside' is really brutal!

jamesc, sunspot42 and c-eling like this.
  5. c-eling

Thanks I'll have to check out those Vinnie mixes, love that song! Funny I skipped Liberation. Great song. A few years ago when I started back into collecting their singles I sampled some on the tube and wasn't impressed, shame, as a presentation they look great!
    Edit:
    You know what sucks, as with other Euro bands, we mostly never end up with the US sanctioned remixes, rights issues I assume.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
    Scottb likes this.
  6. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

Yes and what exactly is that choir on 'To Step Aside'? I always wondered just exactly what that was as it sounds like a bunch of kids singing and then detuned. I would have loved a Piano and vocal only of 'Liberation' a demo and an instrumental version as well. Such a classy song and dumbed down with remixes that don't even have a single second of music that in any way sounds like the song!

c-eling likes this.
  7. Bruno Republic

Bruno Republic Forum Resident

He also did a great remix of "Beautiful People", but this never saw an official release.

8. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

Yes I heard that remix and it's great. I know he was bummed when his remixes of 'To Step Aside' weren't included on any of the CD singles from Bilingual.

c-eling likes this.
  9. c-eling

No clue Scott how that even came to being. Kind of a 'memory', 'flashback' effect of past school days.

Scottb likes this.
  10. portlandjulian

portlandjulian Forum Resident

I have to agree with you on this and its no surprise that folks on the Pet Shop Boys forum still bring up the subject of the E Smooth remix of Liberation today :D

tin ears, Scottb and sunspot42 like this.
  11. portlandjulian

This is quite a good read about To Step Aside from the Commentary website run by Wayne Studer. It explains at the end about the sample. Bilingual in my view is an underestimated album.

To Step Aside

It's not a subject that Pet Shop Boys fans want to think about, but it's inevitable: the day that the Pet Shop Boys cease to be. Neil and Chris must of course think about it, too. And that's what's going on in this song, in which Neil ponders what he would do "if I decide to step aside." What first sets him off in this reverie is a scene he witnesses from a hotel room in Santiago de Compostela, Spain, of religious pilgrims converging on a nearby cathedral. He can't help but think that these people experience a depth of meaning in life that he, though living in the lap of comparative luxury ("all the champagne that I drink"), cannot know. From another window (this time in Budapest, Hungary) he sees poor workers, who formerly toiled without reward under the communist system, now struggling just as hard as they wait (in vain?) for the "market forces" of capitalism to reward them.

Interestingly, Neil portrays himself as very much a figurative and literal "insider," kept apart from the more mundane yet conversely much more profound concerns of the masses. He can't help but think that there's much more to life than the pursuit of comfort and pleasure—and much more to his life than his career as musician and pop star. So his mind is filled with questions of what course his life would take if he were "to step aside" and walk away from it all. Despite the upbeat, even bouncy musical setting (including extremely effective use of acoustic guitar), this is one of the most serious, contemplative, and indeed personal songs in the Pet Shop Boys' entire body of work. By the way, the strange background vocals (you either love 'em or hate 'em) are sampled from a recording of Gypsy music.

It's also worth noting that "To Step Aside"—which was released as a "dance single" in the United States, with a plethora of remixes—earned the Pet Shop Boys a Grammy nomination in the category of "Best Dance Recording." Unfortunately, it lost out to Donna Summer and Giorgio Moroder's "Carry On."

• This track contains very noticeable and distinctive samples from a recording of Spanish Gypsy music, which the Boys chose because they felt it sounded like the chanting of religious pilgrims. But I've never read it stated anywhere—either by Neil, Chris, or anyone else—precisely which recording provided the samples. And, as far as I know, no one has succeeded in identifying it.

12. portlandjulian

I had a quick look at Amazon UK and its doesnt really give an indication of the type of case the CD is in does it. All I can say is that when I moved from the UK to the USA about a year ago, all the copies in the local record stores had Format in a jewel case, I think that I also have it in that type of case as well as the box, but cant check at the moment as they are all boxed up back in the UK. Moving onto Elysium I have previously seen it in a jewel case in an independent record store, from the EU ?

Happy to help.

13. portlandjulian

Included in the forthcoming boxset containing everything hopefully :pineapple:

14. MarkusGermany

MarkusGermany WINNING

"Very" was my last PS Album. Later I discovered "Yes" and "Fundamental".

15. Pim

Pim Forum Resident

I've got the 2001 reissues, but I'm afraid that I won't be able to resist buying the new reissues of those - just to have the complete set.... :-D

Let's hope they will put out a couple of single boxes in the future, with all the remixes and b-sides compiled on 1 disc per single.

Carlox and MarkusGermany like this.
  16. c-eling

Interesting, thanks for the incite Julian :)

17. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

Hmm that's interesting that you saw Elysium in a jewel case as well. Thanks for all the info as I appreciate it.

18. morgan1098

Agreed! I avoided it for years but now it's probably in my PSB top five. The opening segue between "Discoteca" and "Single" is classic. "Red Letter Day," "Up Against It," so many great tracks. The Further Listening version is essential, the bonus disc has a great flow and the liner notes are especially insightful.

19. portlandjulian

Yes is in my top 5 Pet Shop Boys albums at the moment. In my view its on a par with Very the other "up" Pet Shop Boys album. I am glad that they persuaded Brian Higgins / Xenomania to work with them. :D

Fundamental is often an overlooked album. It was great that they manged to make a complete album with Trevor Horn. The track I made My Excuses and Left always brings a tear to my eye.:cry:

20. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

i highly doubt that, there is too much to include in it.

a super deluxe for the albums would be nice... just for fun.. i've listed out what my versions would be like..
    here's one for 'please'.

1 disc for please

tracks from here:
    =================
    please
    -----------------------------------
    west end girls
    ---------------
    Mixes

Officially released

Mixer: Stephen Hague
    Album version (4:45) Available on Please
    7" Mix (3:59) Available on Discography
    10" Mix (7:02) Available on the promo release Pet Shop Boys Story - 25 Years of Hits
    Mixer: Shep Pettibone
    Disco Mix (9:03) Available on Disco
    Shep Pettibone Mastermix (8:12)
    Shep's Dub Mix (9:23)
    Dub Mix (aka West End Dub) (9:31)

Dance Mix (aka Extended Dance Version) (6:39)
    Available on the Further Listening bonus disc with the Please reissue and on Essential

West End Sunglasses (7:32)
    Combines "West End Girls" with the non-PSB track "Sunglasses at Night"
    Mixer:Manfred Alois Segieth (as Tess)

Remix '86 (5:07)
    Remix '86 Edit (3:26)

Mixer: Bobby Orlando
    Bobby O Original UK 7" Mix (4:12)
    Bobby O Original Extended 12" Mix (7:57)
    Bobby O Remix '86 Single Version (3:28)
    Bobby O Extended Mix (5:06)
    Bobby O Edited Version (3:23)
    Acid House Mix (7:03)
    "James Brown" Mix (6:15)
    Montreal 7" Mix (4:01)
    Montreal 12" Mix (8:24)
    Montreal Dub (6:45)
    Montreal Instrumental Mix (5:33)

Mixer: Mario Aldini

West End Megamix (aka ZYX Megamix, aka Part 1 Megamix) (8:04)
    Combines "West End Girls" with "One More Chance" and "West End Sunglasses"
    Ultimate Mix (5:40)
    Combines "West End Girls" with "One More Chance" and "West End Sunglasses"

opportunties
    ------------
    Mixes

Officially released

Album version (3:44) Available on Please
    Second 7" version (3:36) Available on Discography
    "Opportunities (reprise)" (0:32) A separate track on Please

Mixer: The Latin Rascals and Ron Dean Miller
    Version Latina (5:34) Available on Disco
    Dub for Money (4:49) Mixer: unknown
    Original 7" version (aka Short Version) (3:47) Available on Essential
    Matrix Mix (aka Different Mix) (3:21)
    Whistle Test Mix (3:34)
    Demo - 1984 (5:08)
    Now That's What I Call Music 7 (U.K.) edit (3:19)
    A unique edit with a different opening and ending, and missing the song's first verse, provided apparently in error by EMI to the compilers of the U.K. edition of the seventh Now That's What I Call Music collection in 1986

Mixer: J.J. Jecazlik and Nicholas Froome
    Full Length Original 7" Mix (4:36)
    Available on the Further Listening bonus disc with the Please reissue

Mixer: J.J. Jacazlik, Nicholas Froome, and Pet Shop Boys
    Original 12" Mix (7:00)

Dance Mix (aka Original Dance Mix, aka Double Your Money Mix) (6:48)
    Shep Pettibone Mastermix (7:21)
    Reprise (4:27) Available on certain "Opportunities" 12-inch singles
    Not to be confused with the brief "Opportunities (reprise)" track on Please

love comes quickly
    ------------------
    Mixes

Officially released

Album version (4:19)Available on Please

Mixer: Stephen Hague and Pet Shop Boys
    Dance Mix (6:50)
    Available on the Further Listening bonus disc with the Please reissue and on Essential

Shep Pettibone Mastermix (7:38)

Available on Disco
    Shep Pettibone Mastermix - Early Fade (6:08)
    Dub Mix (7:03)

suburbia
    --------
    Mixes

Officially released

Album version (5:07)Available on Please

Mixer: Julian Mendelsohn
    7" Edit Version (aka New Version) (4:04)Available on Discography
    Video Mix (5:11)
    Suburbia Part Two (2:25)Available on a U.K. "Suburbia EP"

Mixer: Julian Mendelsohn and Pet Shop Boys
    The Full Horror (8:58)
    Available on Disco and the Further Listening bonus disc with the Please reissue

Mixer: Arthur Baker
    The Full Horror Video Edit (5:07)

Arthur Baker Club Vocal Mix (7:20)
    Arthur Baker Dub Version (7:50)

other tracks
    ------------
    violence Mixes
    ---------------
    Officially released

Album Version (4:29)
    Available on Please
    Mixer: Bob Kraushaar and Pete Gleadall
    Haçienda Version (4:58)
    Available on Alternative and on the Further Listening bonus disc with the Very reissue
    Official but unreleased

Mixer: Bob Kraushaar and Pete Gleadall
    Extended Haçienda Version (aka "12-inch Master") (7:02)

why don't we live together Mixes
    ---------------------------------
    Officially released

Album version (4:49)
    Available on Please
    Mixer: Ron Dean Miller and the Latin Rascals
    Original New York Mix (5:14)

a man could get arrested
    ------------------------
    Mixes

Officially released

Mixer: Steven Spiro, Pet Shop Boys, and Frank Roszak*
    7" b-side mix (4:51)
    Mixer: Steven Spiro
    Extended Mix (5:37)
    Mixer: Frank Roszak
    12" Alternative Mix (aka Alternative Version) (4:19)
    Available on Alternative
    Mixer: Pet Shop Boys, Bobby Orlando, and Frank Roszak
    12" b-side mix (4:11)

thats my impression
    -------------------
    Mixes

Officially released

Mixer: Pet Shop Boys
    7" Version (4:45)
    Available on Essential
    Disco Mix (5:18)
    Available on Alternative and the Further Listening bonus disc with the Please reissue
    Demo (4:16)
    Promo only

was that what it was
    --------------------
    album

jack the lad
    ------------
    album

later

Carlox and portlandjulian like this.
  21. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

at this point i had stopped listening to the pet shop boys, very was the last album that i liked.

i bought this to complete the further listening series, i listen to a lot of the mixes and the b-sides, i listened to the album once, and that was more than enough.

nothing on there caught my attention, and sounded like they had run out of steam, and wanted to rehash their earlier tracks.

later

MarkusGermany likes this.
  22. portlandjulian

You are missing out on a lot of classic albums released after Bilingual. To me they do not sound like they have run out of steam and only wanting to rehash their earlier tracks

Scottb likes this.
  23. portlandjulian

Hopefully the box set will contain everything, they know that there is a market for it.

Please was due to have a special 30 years anniversary edition in 2016, but didnt happen. :tsk: Only they and the record company know what would have been on that.

24. morgan1098

I'm guessing since Please is getting re-released along with the other Further Listening titles, plus six new ones, that we won't be seeing a mega Please box anytime soon. The market is about to be flooded.

Speaking of post-Very albums, Fundamental must be heard to be believed. It's a behemoth. The Trevor Horn production is amazing. And the songwriting is terrific.

25. portlandjulian

Great minds think a like :D

morgan1098 likes this.