Pete Quaife; audible vocals in the Kinks?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ajsmith, Jun 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member Thread Starter

The backing vocals in The Kinks are usually dominated by Dave, Rasa (in the early days) and Ray overdubbing himself, but it's also known that Peter Quaife was a backing vocalist on studio recordings while he was in the band: I was wondering if anyone could identify his most prominent appearances as a backing vocalist?

I always wonder about 'David Watts'.. you can hear Dave on b/v pretty obviously at some bits, but the male vocalist singing 'Wish I could be' at around 0.55 really doesn't sound like Dave (or Ray).. I was wondering if this could be Pete on his own? Anyone else agree, and are there any other examples?

2. ajsmith

bumpo!

3. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

There's one album that credits the vocalists by song on the rear sleeve (forget which one, Face To Face maybe), and notes Pete on backing vocals with the word 'help!' or something next to it.

All Down The Line and ajsmith like this.
  4. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

Kink Kontroversy is what you're thinking of.

ajsmith likes this.
  5. ajsmith

Yeah it's Kink Kontroversy, the song in question being 'Till The End of the Day'. I can't really hear him too well in the mix for that one though.

[​IMG]

goodiesguy, Sean, Hep Alien and 2 others like this.
  6. extravaganza

extravaganza Senior Member

Just guessing ... maybe in the gang vocals during the break on Starstruck? (love this video by the way)

7. In this '98 interview Pete doesn't pull any punches. He owns up to BV on Waterloo Sunset.
    Pete Quaife interview
    "Not much is known about your vocal contributions to the band. Indeed a lot of the mixing on early Kinks songs blended the voices in an indiscernible manner. Which songs did you contribute vocals to in a significant way?'

"Waterloo Sunset was my most prominent contribution. As you say, most of the background singers that you can't identify include me."

doctor fuse, Aftermath, Shawn and 7 others like this.
  8. ajsmith

Should add another one - pretty sure Quaife can be heard solo doing one of the daft character vocals on their version of 'I'm A Hog For You Baby'.

Brettlowden, goodiesguy, Sean and 3 others like this.
  9. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

You can hear him very well in this performance (perhaps too much). Check out Mick's expression around the :32 mark. Priceless.

Michael D, FJFP, ooan and 14 others like this.
  10. qm1ceveb

qm1ceveb Forum fanatic

I understand he joins Dave prominently in the la-la-la's in Wonderboy, a great track.

11. ajsmith

Think he's kinda audible on 'I've Got That Feeling' too... the guy singing the 'sweetest girl' and 'kisses me' backing vox doesn't sound like Dave anyway.

Sean and Hep Alien like this.
  12. ajsmith

Dave Davies revealed on twitter today that it's Pete shouting 'Bingo' at the end of 'Harry Rag'!

Lexhibit, Brettlowden, FJFP and 10 others like this.
  13. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

Dave Davies' solo in this clip doesn't exactly quash the Jimmy Page rumors !

14. ajsmith

It might be a poor solo in that clip, but it's definitely Dave on the single. All eye witnesses and documentation agree on this, inc Page himself who has confirmed he wasn't on the the record. ( he's on rhythm guitar on a few tracks on the debut LP, that's it). The Page on lead on YRGM rumour is just that - a rumour dating back to the 60s when hard info was scarcer and D. Davies was considered an impudent upstart by the guitar hero establishment of London.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
    doctor fuse, ooan, goodiesguy and 6 others like this.
  15. Barrie Thurlow

Barrie Thurlow Active Member

I believe that is Pete who picks up the counter-melody "Mr Pleasant is good, Mr Pleasant is kind," towards the end of the track when Dave switches from that to a harmony line?

16. Barrie Thurlow

And, just replying to myself, something similar seems to happen towards the end of "Afternoon Tea", I think.

doctor fuse, Hep Alien and ajsmith like this.
  17. mjlynott

mjlynott Forum Resident

Pete is very audible on the BBC session. for Waterloo sunset

18. jethrowup

jethrowup Forum Resident

I think Pete's voice was kind of similar to Ray's.

I'm assuming he does the falsetto voice in "Last of the Steam Powered Train" (the third "steam!") and also something similar in "Plastic Man."

If I remember correctly, you can kind of hear his voice singing along with Dave's in "Cadillac" from the BBC Sessions. "C-A-D-I-LL-A-C!"

Aftermath, Hep Alien and ajsmith like this.
  19. mike's beard

mike's beard Forum Resident

Yes that's Pete, he then carries on with the 'Mr Pleasant's okaaaaaaay'.

goodiesguy, Sean, jethrowup and 2 others like this.
  20. Barrie Thurlow

That's it, great stuff!

Lexhibit likes this.
  21. OxFan1991

OxFan1991 Forum Resident

According to the 2019 booklet of Arthur (IIRC), Quaife sings the lower octave to Dave Davies's lead vocal in the song "There's No Life Without Love".

I guess that makes it the closest he ever got to singing lead on a Kinks record (kind of like Brian Jones on "I Wanna Be Your Man")

On a slightly unrelated topic, are there any Kinks songs where Ray Davies sings a higher harmony to any of Dave's lead vocals?

Also on a completely unrelated topic I gather that Dave is a high tenor, but what about Ray? Is he a high baritone or a low tenor? The man could wail some really high notes when he wanted to. And how about Pete Quaife for that matter? By what little vocal work of his that exists, it sounds like he had the same range as Ray.

22. OxFan1991

OxFan1991 Forum Resident

No I'm pretty sure that's Ray. Pete and Dave are doing the "fa-fa-fa-fa" bits throughout.

ajsmith likes this.
  23. ajsmith

I read that in the book but it’s full import didn’t hit home for me until you mentioned it there. Now I’m wishing they’d included a ‘Pete Quaife vocal only’ mix in the box!

ooan, Sean and jethrowup like this.
  24. ajsmith

Just relistened and I’m still not convinced it’s Ray. It doesn’t have the characteristic timbre of his voice to me. That said, he did often put on accents and characters (including on the outtake version of ‘David Watts’, where he sings the lead in a much camper style) so I’m not saying it couldn’t be him either, just that I still think the jury’s out unless you have more evidence. (Let’s make this thread the Kinks answer to ‘Who sang the Ahhhs in ‘A Day In The Life?’!!!!)

doctor fuse, Sean and Hep Alien like this.
  25. OxFan1991

OxFan1991 Forum Resident

I don't know if that would haven been possible if all the vocals were bounced to one track.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.