Pete, Roger...please... stop.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Johnny Action, May 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oh for God’s sake, they’re just having fun.

MarkO, jmczaja, Paper Wizard and 2 others like this.
  2. Mike Visco

Mike Visco Forum Resident

Moonie would have never made it into one day of the 80s. You could probably say the same thing about Keifer...but he is from the planet Krypton.

3. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

Well this is an interesting thread.

4. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Pete looked bored? It looked like he was getting a big kick out of it to me.

Oatsdad and Moshe like this.
  5. porieux

porieux plook me now you savage rascal

This is what can happen when you don’t die before you get old.

groundharp and Mike Visco like this.
  6. Johnny Action

Johnny Action Forum President Thread Starter

I can’t imagine Rush going on the Jimmy Fallon show and doing the same thing. I can’t imagine Neil Peart sitting there tapping his hands on a bongo or Geddy Lee lip syncing to a toy instrument version of The Trees. And how did Rush and their career? Gracefully.

7. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

Have you heard The Iron Man? Have you seen Roger as the Tin Man? This is a step up from where they've been.

8. Mike Visco

Mike Visco Forum Resident

I was going to say that but didn't feel like going through all of the pages to see if someone beat me to it.

9. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

Pete and Roger probably can’t believe they’re still alive, much less playing music. They’re playing with house money.

10. Johnny Action

One likes to believe in the freedom of music,
    But glittering prizes
    And endless compromises
    Shatter the illusion of integrity, yeah!

11. BrutandCharisma

BrutandCharisma Forum Resident

2 rock elder statesmen whose legacies are intact and irreducible take a classic song backed by a crack back up band and have some fun at their own expense.

Nothing worse than rock Gods taking themselves too seriously.

There's enough thunderous versions of WGFA on vinyl, CD, video and film to last through the next millennium. And they're awesome. Go watch them. They still hold up.

Pete and Roger are just having fun here.

They've earned it.

12. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

I could take this bit or leave it, but its hardly offensive. Is the OP worried this will tarnish The Who's legacy or something? Because it won't.

13. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

Oh. My. God. How DARE they have some fun! Only pathetic LOSERS have a laugh once in awhile.

Their legacy is ruined. I have to go burn all my records.

The pain. The pain.

:crazy:

14. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

Yeah, why can't they be dignified. Like Keith Moon.

[​IMG]

15. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

They really should have played "Mike Post Theme" since it was on NBC.

Orthogonian Blues likes this.
  16. Johnny Action

My wife says I have to stop now. Later, dudes, and don’t stay up too late watching jimmy fallon.

longdist01 likes this.
  17. FredV

FredV Senior Member

egebamyasi likes this.
  18. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

I'm not a fan of Fallon, but for mostly the reasons that Rog/Pete going on his show worked so well. His constant fanboy act really gets under my skin, but for a band like the Who, it played really well. I could imagine most Who fans on this forum, if given the chance to do exactly the same thing with them, would've jumped at the chance and wouldn't have cared less how ridiculous they might look. You could easily tell that he's a big fan, and that he was having as much fan, if not more, then R & P.

19. Johnny Action

Photoshopped!!!

20. FredV

FredV Senior Member

21. grapenut

grapenut Forum Resident

Here’s the thing about rock and roll....it’s only rock and roll. No one will get sick and die because of this.
    No need to thank me for stating the obvious....

22. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

YES! YES! YES!!!!
    I agree. This reminds me of when Nick Drake appeared on one of The Carpenters TV specials and sang
    'You Light Up My Life' with Debbie Boone. I couldn't believe he betrayed me so! Our ideals thrown out the window!
    Our promises evaporated like milk turned to powder in a can! The agony! The ecstasy! Michaelangelo!
    Barcelona!

In all seriousness, if 'The Kids Are Alright' documentary is any indication, I sadly surmise that Keith Moon was still around, he would barely be able to hold a drum stick today. His skills deteriorated fairly quickly by 1978.
    There would be no kicking and no whacking!
    :--)

23. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

IMO, yes, you should watch the whole thing. You'll see they were having fun and not taking themselves too seriously. Plus it obviously wasn't their idea - they're just playing along. I think it's just the idea of it that rubbed you the wrong way.

Moshe likes this.
  24. ostrichfarm

ostrichfarm Forum Resident

Townshend has also licensed his music to just about every commercial under the sun, not to mention several different TV shows. When it comes to selling out (insert The Who Sell Out joke here), this Fallon performance isn't even the same universe as that.

Personally, I thought it was good fun, just like the "Enter Sandman" performance with Metallica. Shows that a good song can often come across even with a radical (and radically silly) change in instrumentation, plus a backing band as proficient as The Roots.

And Fallon has the musical chops to hang, as evidenced by his dead-on impersonations of Jim Morrison, Neil Young, etc., so he hasn't inserted himself into a situation he can't handle.

Murph and Moshe like this.
  25. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Me watch the trainwreck that is late night "comedy"? Not bleedin' likely.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.