Peter Frampton "For 55 million streams of, ‘Baby I Love Your Way’, I got $1,700,"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tone, Aug 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Retro Hound

Retro Hound Forum Resident

The basics of copyright law: when you write a song you are entitled to royalties from that song as long as you live, plus 70 years, currently. I don't think it was that long when he published the song, but it was at least as long as he lives. So, with that understanding, I don't see that he's out of line in complaining. Songwriters expect to keep making money from a song if it is successful enough to have 55 million people listen to it 40 years after it was recorded.

Grant, Blank Frank, showtaper and 5 others like this.
  2. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

Musicians (not all) are ripping fans off with cost of deluxe box sets...

snowman872 likes this.
  3. snowman872

snowman872 Forum Resident

You mean like M.C. Hammer? He had a big fancy house and lots of cool cars ... until he went bankrupt a short time later. Easy come, easy go.

4. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

What is the time limit for being able to be compensated for something you've created? If I build a piece of furniture, can you come into my house and take it for free if it's over forty years old?

WMTC, 2trackmind, BDC and 2 others like this.
  5. Dr. Robert

Dr. Robert Forum Reconstructor

If you're gonna pay me 1,700 for it, feel free to take anything you want!
    He's still being paid, only less due to it being on digital media

6. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

No, not like M.C. Hammer in any way.

Hammer produced a product that people wanted to buy, and became rich as a result. Whether he managed his money well after that is intelligent.

The founders of Spotify have *not* produced a product that people are willing to pay a fair price for (or else they'd be showing a profit), yet they've become incredibly rich anyway.

Aussie Music Lover likes this.
  7. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

Cool. What kind of car do you drive?

WMTC, 2trackmind and tages like this.
  8. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

See I never understood the "they are ripping us off" with high ticket prices mentality. I have argued with fans who used it as an excuse to steal bands music with illegal downloads.

With all due respect they are not ripping anyone off as no one is holding a gun to your head to buy those VIP level deluxe box tickets. In any case they are not having problems selling those tickets so IMHO they are entitled to sell at what the market will bear.

I am huge Rolling Stones fan but would never pay the $2K plus price for the VIP pit ticket packages. Instead I bought the lottery style "Lucky Dip" Tickets and was lucky enough to pull lower bowl tickets for less than $100. If I had not gotten the "Lucky Dip" tickets I most likely would not have gone to the Stones concerts as paying several hundred dollars for nose bleeds did not appeal to me but that being said I do not begrudge the Stones selling those expensive VIP tickets as people are willing to pay those prices, just not me.

9. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

For most jobs, the time limit is the next paycheck.

10. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

All I can say is, this one of the consequences of having the convenience of streaming as the predominant force in delivering music today. Apparently this is what the people demanded. Oh well...

phillyal1 likes this.
  11. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

How many times has this been discussed here already? Each of these artists has to look at the wording of their recording contract, because that is what determines the payout from streaming audio. I guarantee U2 makes a decent income because their management was savvy enough to keep renegotiating as the music market changed.

12. JackS

JackS Then Play On

13. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

Did you read the article? According to Crosby, the record companies negotiated with the streaming companies and told the artists to take it or leave it. Given that most artists' income from music sales has evaporated, "leaving it" isn't really an option.

JoeRockhead likes this.
  14. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

So Krist doesn't deserve money from Nirvana after 1994? The 2 living Pantera members deserve nothing when fans listen to them today? Steve Perry gets no recording money because he can't tour with Journey due to a vocal injury?

It also gets into the issue of rising expense/visa hassles more artist experience playing certain major countries. Some " name" artist only make profit when they factor in t-shirt money on the road.

So world artists denied entry into US/UK through no fault of their own should be denied a living?

JoeRockhead and tages like this.
  15. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

I'm more stunned by the fact that 55 million people streamed this song. I wonder how many people were repeat listeners. That said, it is a small amount of money. He probably made more for his appearance on The Simpsons.

2trackmind likes this.
  16. JackS

JackS Then Play On

Hope he doesn't blow his " bonus" !

Shak Cohen likes this.
  17. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Well...Passenger got well over $60k from YouTube for his video of Let Her Go.

18. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

You do realize someone is making a lot of money from Peter's work. But it appears that because Peter produced the work 40 years ago, you think he should be penalized? So, you are okay with some executives and shareholders of a major music corporation and some executives at Spotify earning the lion's share of revenue generated from Peter's music?

BDC, Grant, JoeRockhead and 10 others like this.
  19. side3

side3 Younger Than Yesterday

He has stated many times on Twitter that he had to let his boat go. I assume he no longer has a plane either. He has said he had to tour to put food on the table. I am sure that when he was raking in the cash in CSN's heyday, he was blowing it just as quickly, which is a shame.

20. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

It is not in proportion with what the digital medium generates. It isn't as if the entire industry is making pennies on the dollar because of digital music. The corporations that create the distribution model are earning record numbers, while the artists are making less than ever before.

And if someone was earning hundreds of thousands of dollars or millions of dollars off of something you created, and you only earned $1,700 from it, one suspects you would not be so enthusiastic about it.

21. belushipower

belushipower Forum Resident

Maybe Peter needs to to talk to his record label. Looks like someone along the line is taking the lion's share.

I have Spotify account. After the aggregator takes their percentage, and before I give the artists their 80%, we get various amounts back per song, eg:

$0.001872
    $0.002196
    $0.001872
    $0.004019
    $0.003396
    $0.006460
    $0.003569

Multiply any of those by 55 million. Even the lowest amount is heaps more than $1,700

22. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

can we copy and paste our responses from the last time this topic was posted? (has to be 100 at this point, along with 'why do people hate new music/new music sucks' chestnut)

Grant likes this.
  23. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

The labels are to blame for this. If you are mad about it, be mad at them.

Grant, belushipower and uzn007 like this.
  24. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Actually I thing Frampton made loads of money in his glory-days. If the streaming services didn t exist I doubt those 50 million listening to his sing would have happened.
    I could argue that they could get more pays but I guess popularity was n the streaming sites is a help when it comes to gettin lucrative gigs.
    I don t really feel all that sorry for the artists because of this. With that said I believe there should be better deals for artists. But given that Framtin is a multi-millionaire I don t think it s fair to say he has not gettin paychecks for his work

Ricardo Perfecto and snowman872 like this.
  25. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

This may be the most ridiculous post I’ve ever read on this forum. You CANT be serious!

BDC, JoeRockhead, tages and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.