Peter Gabriel - Best Digital Masterings?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tlake6659, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Khaki F

Khaki F Forum Resident

Hi. I've just started getting back into Peter Gabriel this week, after a ten year hiatus. Going over the CD's I have, it looks like Car, Scratch, and Melt are the Virgin/Charismas. Plays Live is Geffen. I still need a copy of Security, and plan to get the Virgin/Charisma to match the previous three albums if possible. I'm wondering if anybody has opinions regarding the Geffen version of Plays Live though. Should I be looking to replace that? Any help appreciated.

2. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Clipping using 'Big Time' as an example
    These are all taken from the 100% level masterings
    DADC Austria True Peak Level-Left +1.05 Right +.68
    DADC US DIDX True Peak Level-Left +1.05 Right +.68
    Japan For US Daio Kosan True Peak Level-Left +1.05 Right +.68
    US JVC IFPI True Peak Level-Left +1.05 Right +.68
    US JVC True Peak Level-Left +1.05 Right +.68
    So @Yost I'm betting the Japan triangle with the same levels will match these
    I have a lower level JVC Japan for US en route, hoping that will end this clipping nonsense for me once and for all, thank God this album can be had for dirt cheap :laugh:

Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
    Yost likes this.
  3. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

So (pardon the pun), remind me: which pressing(s) don't have clipping?

4. c-eling

Looks like maybe
    UK Virgin SWINDON/Virgin Holland-75.8/75.8/75.8/75.8/75.8/68.6/75.8/75.8/75.8
    JVC Japan For US/Sanyo Japan For US-98.0/99.2/96.7/96.5/98.6/87.8/98.3/97.7/97.6

Paul H likes this.
  5. The_Windmill

The_Windmill Forum Resident

this one looks like peaks + level shift too

Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
    Ambassador and c-eling like this.
  6. c-eling

Thanks for the verification, I missed reading that one, I was afraid that may have been done

7. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

Yes, you're probably right. But I desperately need some rational proof to invest in the BT. :angel:
    I'm very interested in this mastering too. Great that you ordered one. I'm really looking forward to the figures and your listening notes of this one.
    :edthumbs:

c-eling likes this.
  8. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

IIRC, the Geffen double CD han't been remastered. The old cd sounds fine. I have a blue-faced Virgin Plays Live-Highlights and never listen to it.

Khaki F likes this.
  9. Ambassador

Ambassador Forum Resident

Yeah, that's the best bet given that the peak differences between songs don't quite match pattern wise with the other V/C-derived pressings.

The_Windmill and c-eling like this.
  10. Khaki F

Khaki F Forum Resident

Thank you for your help with this. I really appreciate it. I'll probably look into the remastered version eventually, if for no other reason than for the sake of comparison. I do think that Plays Live is one of the best live albums ever made, and so it's an important release for me. I just can't figure out why the songs from that album that have been posted on YouTube sound more open and punchier. Any ideas on that?

11. c-eling

I have a 2 disc Japan press that was remastered in 2008, I think there may be a Euro 2 edition also, it may be what they are using

Khaki F likes this.
  12. Khaki F

Khaki F Forum Resident

Thanks. I was reading up on that, and it seems like Japan got the remasters. I wonder why they didn't make it over here to us?

13. c-eling

I think we did, not sure if it's the same though mastering wise
    2002 Highlights, they should of kept this as a full album
    Peter Gabriel - Plays Live - Highlights »
    To my surprise it ended up being the only Gabriel remaster I've enjoyed

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
    Khaki F likes this.
  14. Khaki F

Khaki F Forum Resident

I think that's probably different. See, I grew up listening to the original vinyl release as I was pretty into PG at that time. So I'm most likely comparing the digital versions to it. The clips on YouTube sound like I remember the vinyl sounding. But Highlights doesn't have Rhythm Of The Heat, which is one of the reference songs I'm using. The other is I Go Swimming:

That one's on Highlights, but since Rhythm isn't, I'm assuming they're using different source material as both tracks certainly sound like they came from the same album. The bass on I Go Swimming YouTube version is perfect. Mine sounds a bit dull. Same for the percussion on Rhythm Of The Heat. The YouTube track really builds the anticipation the way it should. Again, it's not a matter of thinking that the YouTube tracks improve on the original vinyl. They just resemble it more accurately to my ears.

c-eling likes this.
  15. c-eling

When I get out of work today I'll post a sample from the 2008 and see what you think, I've only ever had this on cassette decades ago, so I really have nothing to compare it to :)

Khaki F likes this.
  16. Khaki F

Khaki F Forum Resident

Thanks, really. I'd appreciate that an awful lot if it wouldn't put you out too much. Looking forward to this!

17. The_Windmill

I bet the differences in sound , if noticeable, won't be that huge though.
    Could we have some samples, maybe? :angel:

18. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

I have a 2007 Japan 2CD paper sleeve release, the VJCP-68849~50. It sounds more or less like the YouTube video you posted. Matrix numbers are "TOCP-66081 2" and TOCP-66082 4". This looks like these are reprints from the 2002 releases (only the last digit differs). Yes, they sound rather punchy. As I don't know the original masterings, I can't comment if this release sounds more "open" (the DR numbers suggest it doesn't).

EAC peaks are:
    - Disc 1: 99.3 / 99.4 / 99.4 / 99.4 / 99.4 / 99.2 / 99.3 / 99.4
    - Disc 2: 99.3 / 99.3 / 99.4 / 99.4 / 99.4 / 99.4 / 99.4 / 99.4

DR listing, disc 1.
    Code:
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzed folder: /Peter Gabriel/Plays Live [Disc 1]
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DR        Peak         RMS           Filename

DR9       -0.05 dB     -12.88 dB     01-01-The Rhythm Of The Heat.wav
    DR10      -0.05 dB     -12.27 dB     01-02-I Have The Touch.wav
    DR10      -0.05 dB     -12.17 dB     01-03-Not One Of Us.wav
    DR12      -0.05 dB     -16.44 dB     01-04-Family Snapshot.wav
    DR10      -0.05 dB     -11.69 dB     01-05-D.I.Y..wav
    DR12      -0.07 dB     -15.93 dB     01-06-The Family And The Fishing Net.wav
    DR12      -0.06 dB     -13.53 dB     01-07-Intruder.wav
    DR8       -0.05 dB     -10.44 dB     01-08-I Go Swimming.wav

Number of files:    8
    Official DR value:    DR10

==============================================================================================

DR listing, disc 2:
    Code:
    Analyzed folder: /Peter Gabriel/Plays Live [Disc 2]
    DR        Peak         RMS           Filename

DR11      -0.06 dB     -15.51 dB     02-01-San Jacinto.wav
    DR11      -0.06 dB     -13.14 dB     02-02-Solsbury Hill.wav
    DR12      -0.05 dB     -15.77 dB     02-03-No Self Control.wav
    DR10      -0.05 dB     -11.81 dB     02-04-I Don't Remember.wav
    DR10      -0.05 dB     -11.65 dB     02-05-Shock The Monkey.wav
    DR10      -0.05 dB     -14.41 dB     02-06-Humdrum.wav
    DR8       -0.05 dB     -10.72 dB     02-07-On The Air.wav
    DR9       -0.05 dB     -11.63 dB     02-08-Biko.wav

Number of files:    8
    Official DR value:    DR10

==============================================================================================

Edit: included a link to the DR database for all Plays Live releases in it.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
    Khaki F, c-eling and The_Windmill like this.
  19. The_Windmill

Years ago when I had a my Plays Live moment I tried and find as much infos as I could about the remastered edition. I don't remember if I was already lurking this forum or not.
    Anyway, I eventually gave up on the remaster and went for an original Nimbus, which had the added benefit to carry the sound I remembered from my old cassette copy.
    As far as I could get, Highlights came out before Plays Live even originally, and that format was chosen for the mass market release because a double set was seen as two demanding, considered that the most recent Secret World was out.
    Anyway, a 2CD version was still made but for the Japanese market (the one mentioned above) and apparently the only other one was a UK release not sold in shops but exclusively on line on the official site. I've never seen or heard of one, though.
    Curiously enough, Discogs lists several issues hat came out in 2002 in US and Canada but none of them should include the remaster.

This are just foggy memories, of course.

Khaki F likes this.
  20. agn

agn Forum Resident

I sold my PG SACDs because nothing beats the original VC CDs.

kevin5brown and c-eling like this.
  21. TimB

TimB Pop, Rock and Blues for me!

I kept both, the cd's and the sacd's. I also have the Classic lp's a super disc of the first (car) LP also a couple of the original Quiex series from the 80's. I can not say I like one over another.
    I wonder what a version by Steve or MFSL would be like?

c-eling likes this.
  22. c-eling

Same here, a few years ago, for me they didn't sound quite right :shrug:

agn likes this.
  23. c-eling

Here you go, My Japan edition matches @Yost , Remastering credits give a 2002 Tony Cousins
    I Go Swimming Sample
    Dropbox - 01 I Go Swimming Samp.wav »

24. Khaki F

Khaki F Forum Resident

Thanks again for going to the trouble. It does sound like what I'm looking for, and has a LOT more presence than the version of the album that I have (Geffen GEFD2-25319). I'm going to have to order Security anyway, so I think I'm going to attempt to track down one of these as well. I'm not sure exactly what techniques were used in the mastering, but one thing was immediately apparent. The spoken intro is brought up in the mix, relative to the song starting. On my version, it almost sounds like he's mumbling. Very far away sounding.

Since I'll be keeping both versions, I'll probably be doing a bit of AB'ing to check the integrity of the overall production. It'll take about a month to get the remaster from Japan, but will keep you posted if there's an interest. Really, the copy I have now sounds dull as dishwater in comparison. I've had it for quite a while, but playing the odd track from it on YouTube is what rekindled my interest in the album. It sounds like I remember it.

Thanks again! :)

25. TimB

TimB Pop, Rock and Blues for me!

Is it me or is US like incredibly compressed?