Peter Gabriel - Best Digital Masterings?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tlake6659, Dec 22, 2008.

1. serj

serj Forum Resident

Yes, but personally I think that the sound of original US CD perfectly fits the nature of this album. And yes, compression on the remaster is very noticeable. I'm speaking about the 2002 CD remaster. I don't have an interest in any files.

Steve356 likes this.
  2. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

The original US CD is beyond dull - it seriously sounds like a poor cassette recording. The remaster may use compression, but at least it has a top end. As for suiting the music - poor excuse for a mastering that should have had more high end - I seriously thought something was badly wrong with my headphones when I first put it in the CD player.

LivingForever likes this.
  3. serj

serj Forum Resident

What do you think on the Birdy remaster? It has almost the same DR as the original CD.

4. Steve356

Steve356 Forum Resident

After extensive listening to the original CD, the 2002 remaster CD layer and SACD layer, trying to equalize volume levels where possible, I have to say that I prefer the original CD. Yes, it's lacking in high end compared to the 2002 version, but I slightly prefer the mix and think it's closer to the feel of the live blu ray of Secret World. To me, the 2002 version just sounds like a brighter sounding remix, I don't notice any compression that much. I like both mixes to be honest, so am happy to have the option of which to play.

BTW, the SACD and CD layers on the 2002 Hybrid SACD sound the same to me, so no preference there.

HiFi Guy 008, c-eling and serj like this.
  5. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Due to it being a digital recording, it doesn't surprise me about the SACD/Redbook sounding the same. :)

The_Windmill and Steve356 like this.
  6. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I haven't compared this one.

7. Steve356

Steve356 Forum Resident

After a bit more testing and focused on a single track (Steam), I have a slightly different impression of the two mixes. going back and forward between the the original CD and CD layer on the SACD. On Steam, I prefer the remastered version. I actually think that the remastered version sounds more dynamic with noticeably better soundstage than the original CD. I still like the original CD mix and will be keeping it as its more dense mix, for want of a better description, sounds OK to me.

Plan9 and c-eling like this.
  8. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

To be clear, the SACDs and 2015 Hi-Res downloads are not remixes. They're the same mix as the originals, just remastered.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
  9. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

AFAIK I don't think there's any PG studio albums with more than one mix. I think the only album with more than one mix is Secret World Live which was remixed for the video reissue a few years ago.

Steve356 and Plan9 like this.
  10. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Exactly.
    Only the DVD Play: The Videos contains pretty radical remixes of the hits in surround.

11. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

The two German language albums have different mixes/recordings.

patient_ot and Plan9 like this.
  12. walrus

I think they also qualify as different albums.

13. Steve356

Steve356 Forum Resident

I understand that they are not remixes. My point was that the remastered version almost sounded like a remix compared to the original CD to my ears. YMMV. :)

Plan9 and serj like this.
  14. serj

serj Forum Resident

Yes, US remaster is much brighter. One of the main reason I don't like it.

The_Windmill and Steve356 like this.
  15. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

They contain all the same songs. Gabriel has even sung the German lyrics at concerts in Germany.

The_Windmill likes this.
  16. walrus

Right, but completely different vocal tracks. I'm talking about different mixes of the same album/set of multitracks. I mean, if someone was looking for the best sounding version of Security and you sent them Deutsches Album I don't think they'd be like "oh, cool, it's the album I wanted."

17. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

One thing that has surprised me with vinyl - in general - is that more remastered detail doesn’t always equal a better listening experience.

For me, even if a cd or hi-res remaster is not harsh or loud, and smooth, those exaggerated details are eclipsed by the original’s musical engagement.

18. walrus

I’ll never be mad about more detail or clarity. I want to hear all the intricacies of a recording and arrangement as much as possible.

Steve356 and DarkSideOfTheMoo like this.
  19. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

This! I reviewed other PG Vinyl Threads here and most everyone who owns them concur the the Classics(or the more expensive Classics Clarity) are the Best Option for PG on Vinyl. I did spend a a lot of money to obtain most of the PG Titles in NM Condition on Classic, and love 3(Melt) so much that when had the chance, even though I already owned the Classics, I bought the Clarity Version in Like New Condition from another SHF Member in the Classifieds here. It is a beauty in that Deluxe Box.

No wonder, I still have not completed my System, as keep buying Music, but plan to buy the more recent lower price Technics Turntable that cost around $1,200-$1,300, as was originally going to try and save for the $1,700 Model when it was the lowest price available when Technics started making TTS again a few years ago.

I need to get another Low Back Surgery(Fusion this time) in 3 weeks to hopefully finally provide pain relief from my Damaged L4 & L5 Nerves. Then hopefully will have the money a year from now to complete my System, although might first need to consider a move back to California.

NorthNY Mark likes this.
  20. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Forum Resident

For me, it has to be on a case-by-case basis. I could agree with what you write in theory, but the question comes from what produces the sense of "more detail or clarity." If it's produced by jacking up the treble so that everything sounds kind of edgy and metallic, I don't want that. And if it comes from compressing the dynamic range so that the quiet little details (that were meant to be quiet and little in relation to other sounds) become more noticeable, that's even worse. On the other hand, when it's due to a lower-generation tape or the removal of unnecessary congestion in the lower or lower mid frequencies, then it's usually a good thing.

duneman, Paul H and The_Windmill like this.
  21. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Forum Resident

Wishing you all the best with your spinal surgery! Having had a ruptured cervical disk a few years ago, I know how excruciating and debilitating nerve pain can be.

TheSeldomSeenKid likes this.
  22. walrus

No, of course not. It has to be natural, and still pleasant on the ears. In my personal listening experience, this really only happens when they go back to the multis and do a fresh remix.

Plan9 and NorthNY Mark like this.
  23. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Firstly, sorry to hear you need surgery, hope it all goes smoothly and that you are quickly on the mend.

As regards Technics turntables, I presume you mean the SL-1500C, which looks like the classic SL-1200 but without strobe and pitch control (and no 45 rpm single adapter in the back left corner):

[​IMG]

24. TheSeldomSeenKid

Thanks. I just had a video appointment today with a Neurosurgeon(considered one of the Best in the US), at Jefferson Hospital in Philly, who my Neurosurgeon has worked with in the past, and I am now going to hold off on the Fusion Surgery most likely, as he wants me to first get a Nerve Blocker to see if the Nerve can be suppressed. He also wants me to try a certain change to my implanted Spinal Cord Stimulator. He also is suggesting trying a Pain Pump as another option.

I will be discussing this 2nd Opinion with my Neurosurgeon this week, and go from there, if the Nerve is damaged to the point that Fusion Surgery will not help, but his initial take was that he could get a better view of the Nerve Root from the back side by doing a Fusion Surgery. It has been a frustrating and painful 8 years. I feel like I aged from 40 to 70. Still will be out capturing Soccer Video this weekend, and just hope it will not be too hot and humid.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
  25. TheSeldomSeenKid

Yes, that is the Technics Model. I did not realize it will not play 45RPM, as I own a few of The Doors AP 45 RPM Titles, the Rumours 45RPM remastered by SH/KG, and probably a few other Vinyl Titles in 45RPM, so looks like I will need to hold out to get the 1200 Model that is closer to $1,700, but will recheck the Specs. I replied to NorthNY Mark on now a potential change on the Fusion Surgery based on a Video Appointment today with one of the Top Neurosurgeons in the US and his advice, but appreciate your well wishes.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021