Peter Gabriel - Best Digital Masterings?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tlake6659, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Sorry for the confusion, the turntable plays 33, 45 and 78, but it does not have the adapter for US 45 rpm singles that the SL-1200 has (see back left corner):

[​IMG]

TheSeldomSeenKid likes this.
  2. Justin Case

Justin Case Forum Resident

It looks like it will play at 45, it just doesn’t have the adaptor to put over the spindle to play old US 45s (the ones with the big hole in the middle).

3. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I have several friends who had spinal/neck surgery, and one relative. It's never turned out especially well, which makes me hesitant regarding surgery as a solution.

I keep waiting for some kind of genetic / cell implant magic to become available. Until then, I don't really know what alternatives there are, besides maybe physical therapy / exercise.

Good luck!!

TheSeldomSeenKid likes this.
  4. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

I did ask both Neurosurgeons, who are well respected among their colleagues, if there are any Stem Cell Therapies yet available, as I read after dealing with severe pain in my Right Leg following my Original Herniated Disc Surgery that trials were successful with mice, but apparently we are still near this option for people. It is amazing with technology advances that I can now talk combined with Video with a Doctor from another City on my Cell Phone, yet we still have no Stem Cell Therapy option developed for Damaged Nerves.

I wanted to fix the Root Cause of the Severe Pain in my Thigh, but for now, my only hope will be other adjustments/settings made to my already implanted Spinal Cord Stimulator, try a Pain Pump implanted or have recently seen a Doctor to obtain a Medicinal Marijuana Access Card, which might be my last hope if can find the best combination of CBD & THC, which can work for my special nerve pain(might require some trial and error to find a CBD Product that works if any will).

I know all the Exercises, Stabilization and Stretching Exercises, as have an MS in Exercise Physiology and used to train mainly Soccer Players before needing to stop with all of the Low Back Surgeries. When I went to Physical Therapy after my Original Herniated Disc Surgery, I knew so much how to implement the Program they gave me, that I did my Exercises on my own when there, but also went for the Electric Stim and Ultrasound.

Thanks for your ideas and concern.

I see you live in NorCal. am hoping to get back to the California Coast(preferably back to SLO County and Pismo or Morro Bay as think my body only tolerates Upper 60s as Average High for Summer Temps), at least for Summers, if not a permanent move, to provide my Sports Skills Video Analysis Programs for some Club Teams, and was hoping Fusion Surgery might be the best option for a full recovery to allow me to work full days and travel, but for now will see how the other options suggested by the 2nd Take I got from the other Neurosurgeon might help before considering any more Low Back Surgeries(or until hopefully we do get a Stem Cell Therapy or Gene Therapy that might be a future option, as has been helping people with some types of Cancer, Heart Disease and a few other Medical Conditions).

Anyways, back to Peter Gabriel. I own a few of the Black Triangle CDs, and a few other Early Releases on CD. I own all the 2002 CD Releases and the HiRes Downloads that came with the 2015(and Later) Real World Vinyl Reissues. I also own most of the Titles on SACD(either Hybrid or Single Layer). Only ‘UP’ includes a 5.1 option for the PG SACDs. Too bad all of the Titles were not made available on 5.1(Hello Steven Wilson, please visit Peter Gabriel and also offer to do an Atmos Surround Mix, along with 5.1 for his Albums).

I should eventually buy the SO Deluxe Box Set, as think I read that they will still provide a DL Code for the Album, if you show proof of purchase, that Josh concluded in his TBVO Article, is the Best Digital Version for SO.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
    Plan9 and sunspot42 like this.
  5. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

I think it is in this very thread that recent purchasers were not given access to the 24/48 version that Josh identified as the best, but they were given access after writing to Real World about it. So, keep that in mind if you go that route.

tmtomh and TheSeldomSeenKid like this.
  6. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Yep, that is what I meant when I wrote that you might need to show a Proof of Purchase, as to have Real World provide a Download Code. I have been following this Thread for awhile, and probably was the place where I read about if someone was to buy the Deluxe Box Set, that RW would provide a DL Code, but might have been at least a year ago(time flew by the past year living out the Covid Pandemic), so hope that is still the case, and maybe someone here has contacted RW recently to verify if they still are providing the Correct DL Code.

I am already behind about 4-5 Deluxe Box Sets released in the past year on my ‘Want to Buy’ List, and there will be around 4-5 Deluxe Box Sets released later this year that I will want to buy(assuming ones for The Doors ‘LA Woman’, Bowie ‘90s Box Set that would follow ‘Loving the Alien’, another Prince Deluxe Box Set-beyond the ‘Welcome 2 America’ Box Set I have on Preorder from Amazon, and possibly a Who’s Next 50th Anniversary Deluxe Box Set, among a few others that might come as an unexpected surprise).

tmtomh likes this.
  7. exoendria

exoendria Forum Resident

Hello everyone :)

So, I finally roll the dices :)

I took these CDs :
    PG Car (P) 1987 Virgin (made in Austria)
    PG Melt (P) 1987 Virgin (made in Holland)
    PG So (P) 1986 Geffen (made in USA)

I don't take the NIMBUS made ones no more. I have 2 made by Nimbus CDs, they both has rot symptoms. They play fine, but I don't know how many years they will last.

Thanks for advices, especially Plan9 ;)

8. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

I’m sorry to hear that

Nimbus with cd rot? Tell us more. Usually it’s PDO pressings with rot. Can you provide pictures?

c-eling likes this.
  9. The_Windmill

The_Windmill Forum Resident

Never heard of Nimbus rotting.
    Some of them peel off, but it's just the label layer and mostly if one tries to wash them.
    The actual CD layers are and will remain intact.

Ere, c-eling and Yost like this.
  10. exoendria

exoendria Forum Resident

[​IMG] Ok, I made a mistake. It's not really a rotting case ^^

It's like a problem with the label and maybe the chemical formulation to stick/print the label.

When I received it, it was sticky, dirty. I try isopropyl alcohol, not enough effective.
    So I wash it with just dish soap and my fingers.

2 solutions : bad formulation / CD cooked in the sun or stock in very moisture room.

Viewers discretion is advised, it's the most damaged CD of my collection :D
    (You cannot see it, but besides the centre ring damages, they is strange shapes, like glue issues)
    imgur.com
    imgur.com

(sorry, I didn't manage to embed the pictures)

tmtomh likes this.
  11. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Yes, "sticky Nimbus" CDs are a well-documented phenomenon. Something to do with the lacquer formula they used for a certain time period as the coating on the top/label side of the disc.

12. exoendria

exoendria Forum Resident

Meanwhile,
    Polydors from West Germany are toughs like 80's BMWs :o

I'll received them next week I think, I can't wait.

13. exoendria

exoendria Forum Resident

Hello everyone,

I received two of my CD purchases.

First I received PG Melt (P) 1987 Virgin (made in Holland)
    And, I was disappointed ... First, I received a wrong edition (wasn't a real problem) and the jewel box was dirty, melted (I believed it was intended as it's the Melt album, but no)
    About the sound, really disappointed ... First, there is no cymbals on the entire album, and don't like it. I don't like the mastering, they is a lack of stereo soundstage. So I returned it :laugh:
    To be honest I love Game Without Frontiers, and I think it's better live with without Phil Collins drum's sound.

Then, I received today PG So (P) 1986 Geffen (made in USA)
    Totally different. Not any problem with the order.
    Manu Katché and Steward Copeland are there.
    Fantastically opened, great stereo soundstage. Maybe because it's mixed by Daniel Lanois and mastered by Ian Cooper ... I love and know few albums with Lanois involved in (Robbie Robertson, Brian Eno - Apollo)
    It's the Peter sound I like.

I'll receive Car soon ...

Thank you for your help :)

14. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

You may want to try Melt again, it will grow on you and it's an excellent album by any standard. The production is obviously not as slick as So but it was a trail-blazer album. :)

15. exoendria

exoendria Forum Resident

Hello @Plan9 :)

Maybe yes ^^ I should give it a second chance.

Since I got an HiFi system, my listening habit completely changed. Today I listened 4 albums in a row, without any skip.
    I enjoyed even Outlandos d'Amour in the whole album, and it's not my preferred one. So why not :)

Plan9 likes this.
  16. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

You do realize that that was PG's intent? PG3 and PG4 are all about rhythm, being inspired by African music PG had on a suitcase full of cassettes! He didn't want those albums to sound like every other rock record!

Squad 701, poe_man, Yost and 3 others like this.
  17. exoendria

exoendria Forum Resident

I supposed Gabriel intended this change from his first album, as this one sound very different. I didn't know it was inspired by his discoveries in the African music.
    But, I was very enthusiast and at the end after listening it, I was missing something. Maybe it's the mastering, I don't know ...

I can really like an album and being disappointed by mixing and mastering. As an exemple, I think Reggatta de Blanc is not the top notches in terms of mixing and mastering. I think, because of The Police's budget at beginning and lack of succes in UK, their art didn't get enough justice in recording. And I love it a lot. But there is a big difference with Ghost in the machine. But maybe, some people will prefer this way.

The sound of "So" is what I like. I'm waiting for Car :)

18. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

If you can do hi res I would try an album, maybe Melt for comparison, as I think the 2015 hi res downloads work on a technical level better than the original CDs. By technical I mean just master tape converted well with the advantages of latter day technology; less early digital sounding. They are not perfect and by comparison some times a little in your face without being loud, but put it this way Melt is going to sound more like So by comparison to the early CD if you catch my drift. I never had huge problems with the original CDs, mostly the forum consensus favorites, but I go to the hi res now for everything. All great albums in my mind and sure maybe some take a little more time to grow on the average person, but they stick with you if you stick with them.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
    Plan9, JeffMo and exoendria like this.
  19. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

I think the original Melt CD sounds fine. But Peter’s arrangement choices (no cymbals), his experiments with production, and the use of early sampling technology (Fairlight), result in a “typical” sound. It gets more extreme on 4/Security, imho. But on that album the “tribal” influences compensate nicely for it. On So, the balance between “being Peter Gabriel” and “sounding commercial and mainstream” is finally achieved. And resulted in his biggest hit(s).

20. exoendria

exoendria Forum Resident

I'm feeling like I disappointed some of you, I'm sorry ^^

I will listen to Car with a lot of care. And I'll try the Melt Hi-Res from bandcamp to give it another try.

Maybe the fact the CD's seller ****** me, put me in a bad listening condition/spirit. And context is important, I discovered it in wine blind testing ...

Yost and c-eling like this.
  21. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

I love all the gadgetry on "melt'
    Had this album on cassette in the 80's -quite blown away first time hearing it.
    Gabriel's earlier music is not for everyone, and it's completely OK if none of it hits home.
    Apart from a couple tunes from Car/Scratch (Humdrum being the favorite) I prefer III ---> out of his catalog
    From a SQ perspective, you're not going to find any audiophile miracles from the first two. They are what they are.

JeffMo and The_Windmill like this.
  22. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

No, not disappointed, no worries. We all hear things differently, and like different music. I just tried to explain that Peter’s albums can sound “off” by design (or due to the technology from the era they were created in).

Personally I think So is Peter’s greatest album, and it was an absolute awesome sounding album when it was released. But If I listen to it nowadays, and I still love the songs, I do also keep hearing the (then leading edge) digital reverb he used. Which gives a slight bathroom-y ambiance, that’s just not that nice sounding. No remastering will improve this. :sigh:

23. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Exactly - there are many who love So but not anything else in PG catalog!

c-eling likes this.
  24. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

You might seek out Us, an album that some refer to as So-lite (not completely fair but the Steam single is culprit!).

c-eling likes this.
  25. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Quite true, outside the forum I see this as well.
    Not too many people appreciate his ability of how one can make a simple observation of wedding and turn it into something that sounds directly from the netherworld :laugh:

JeffMo likes this.