Peter Gabriel Digging Up Old Clips for DVD

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Bobo U2, Sep 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobo U2

Bobo U2 Active Member Thread Starter

Entertainment - Reuters

Peter Gabriel Digging Up Old Clips for DVD

Wed Sep 1, 8:39 PM ET Add Entertainment - Reuters to My Yahoo!

By Emmanuel Legrand

LONDON (Billboard) - Peter Gabriel (news) is re-mixing tracks for an as-yet-untitled DVD compilation of his videos, due for worldwide release Oct. 21 via Warner Vision.

Gabriel, working at his Wiltshire, U.K.-based Real World Studios with producer Daniel Lanois (news), said the project will allow viewers to experience such clips as "Sledgehammer" and "Red Rain" in 5.1 surround sound.

"The project has been on the cards for some time, and now seems to be the perfect timing," he told Billboard.com. "Daniel is doing mixes that will sometimes sound better than the originals. For a musician, it is fantastic to have access to 5.1 technology. It is a much wider sound -- there's more clarity."

Lanois previously worked with Gabriel on 1986's "So" and 1992's "Us."

Some videos will also be re-edited, and in some cases, new images will be added. "We won't touch the better ones, but on some others we will have new material," Gabriel said.

The DVD will comprise 18-20 tracks, including "Biko," "Digging in the Dirt," "Shock the Monkey," "Games Without Frontiers" and "Don't Give Up." Gabriel said his personal favorites are "Sledgehammer," "Mercy Street" and "Digging in the Dirt," while Lanois chose the lesser known "Zaara" and "Lovetown."

"We haven't completed the sequencing yet," said Gabriel. "I guess we'll go for a recommended order and then people will be free to re-arrange it."

Reuters/Billboard

2. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Cool. I take it none of the Gabriel SACD's had surround mixes? Except maybe UP?

3. fyrfytrhoges

fyrfytrhoges New Member

it would be so cool, although im sure it will never happen, if he could get permission to release some of the more obscure and old video stuff of the early genesis concerts. the ones where he wore all kinds of off the wall costumes, i sometimes see videos, obviously bootlegged on ebay and they go for quite a bit of money. there must be some serious diehard genesis fans out there.

4. StyxCollector

StyxCollector Man of Miracles

Genesis will put it out if they want ... it's in their archives. They say not much of it exists. They toyed with the idea of doing an archives series like King Crimson, but it never materialized. Some of that stuff is going to be released in time.

Gabriel really hates to revisit the Genesis era if at all possible, so he'd never do it.

5. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

No maybe's about it: UP is surround, the others stereo only.

I'd love for this to finally happen in multi-channel. Gabriel's work should transfer well....

:ed:

6. Ere

Ere Senior Member

In the news posting on the official Genesis site that announces the November release of the Lamb on SACD, they mention a compilation CD also due that month "and last, but not least, comes the Anthology DVD of the band's promo films." No other details though....

7. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.