Peter Gabriel - new album - I/O

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by abzach, Oct 10, 2021.

1. indigovic

indigovic (Taylor’s Version)

Maybe he’ll bring two different mixing engineers on tour and play all the songs twice!

2. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Forum Resident

While it may be that live tour arrangements may emphasize elements that are more prominent (or only exist) in one mix or the other, I think live arrangements are their own, separate thing. For example, when Genesis recently went on tour, did anyone ever ask whether they were playing the original mixes or the remixes? No, because I think most people assumed that the live versions would sound very little like either set of studio album mixes. Mixing involves the exact levels of each instrument in relation to the other, the precise panning of different instruments in the stereo field, the use of different textural effects (like reverb) on different instruments, etc. Few of those things can be replicated in a live setting (and we probably wouldn't want them to be if they could): artists and the live mixing engineers have to cope with things like the acoustics of the venue, simplified arrangement arrangements without overdubbing, etc. The subtleties of a studio mix are probably the last thing they're thinking of in a live setting.

3. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Sorry, I cannot answer your question, and as mentioned in my Post, I still have not yet listened to the First 4 Released Songs in either Mix. I do look forward to hearing what the differences are between the Bright Side and Dark Side Mixes, but first just want to judge the Songs themselves, and hopefully will like them, but based on a few comments I have read here, these New Songs are good(although the most recent released Song seems to have received the least enthusiastic response among all 4 of the Songs.

I think @NorthNY Mark has provided the best explanation on how these Songs will be played on Tour. Also, I give extra consideration on any take from a Talk Talk Fan:righton:.

bluedemon25 and NorthNY Mark like this.
  4. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

I don't listen to albums on a track-by-track basis. If PG has something to say he should come out and say it, not drip it out with no other aim than to get more cumulative plays on Spotify. My personal engagement with this album so far is remembering that this thing is coming out every few weeks and then being disagreeably surprised that it isn't out yet. In fact I/O may as well stand for Isn't/Out as far as I'm concerned.

5. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

I’m enjoying playing the tracks month by month. Like all four so far. My current preferences are 1 Playing for Time, 2 Panopticom, 3 I/O, and 4 Court.

Ere, JeffMo, WhatDoIKnow and 2 others like this.
  6. MrCJF

MrCJF Best served with coffee and cake.

I need to playlist these, as I'm just listening to each song once or twice around the time of release. I quite like the classic pop sound of i/o, but with PG ghe more immeadiate hits don't have a long lasting appeal, whereas the more dense or experimental numbers take time to appreciate and enjoy.

7. Sconcho

Sconcho Forum Resident

I’m not even keen enough to listen to these individual song releases anymore. I just wish he’d release the album. What a way to gradually remove any excitement about it. To me this is like watching a film by someone emailing a scene every five weeks.

Moshe, Kiss73, Sordel and 1 other person like this.
  8. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

Have I got this right? The tour starts 18th May, but the album won’t be released by then.

9. MicSmith

MicSmith Forum Resident

It does appear so, although it has taken me a while to accept that he would start his first major tour (in Europe) for nearly nine years without the new album available in the shops.

I don’t mind the song a month approach and actually his Bandcamp subscription is a great deal for the die hard fans that want everything, but I did want the album available for say a month before seeing him in June. I guess I’ll just have to wait until he’s happy with the final mixes to have it in my hands.

10. Pim

Pim Forum Resident

I really doubt we'll have any physical copy in our hands before the end of the US tour (October 21st).

sound chaser and MicSmith like this.
  11. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Correct. PG has given no timetable save that it will come out before the end of the year AFAIK. Tracks every full moon. Hints that track releases will continue even after album release.

fRa, WhatDoIKnow and sound chaser like this.
  12. Slipperbisk

Slipperbisk Forum Resident

To be honest, I’m quite looking forward to hearing new material live before the record is released. Takes me back to February 1980 when he played most of his third album - and other new stuff that wasn’t on it - on his UK tour three months before it came out.

13. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Well another new song comes out and another round of folks whinging about the release strategy.

14. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

But that's not really the same, is it? These songs have been released and available to hear, just not released all together on an album.

15. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Played I/O last evening and it was okay, but perhaps my least favorite of the four. I have tended to prefer the dark side mixes though.

16. Ere

Ere Senior Member

I can imagine that PG may slow the tempo of the verses down, giving this already thoughtful meditation on connectedness and aging even more emotion. Then when the chorus hits, watch out. Tears and joy will flow.

WhatDoIKnow likes this.
  17. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

I have to say that I really like the sound he's employing on these tracks. It's a lot more organic and actually sounds like these songs have been played. The problem I'm having is that I'm just not enjoying the songs very much. He seems to have lost the ability to make truly engaging and emotional melodies.

Trag, MikeVielhaber and Willow Farmer like this.
  18. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Hmmm…Genesis were known for reproducing their recordings pretty accurately live. At least they certainly weren’t a jam band. Where you got some improvisation was drum solos in the shows. Which isn’t to say they never altered arrangements a little as time went on.

kt66brooklyn and tug_of_war like this.
  19. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Forum Resident

I understand. I wasn't talking about radical rearrangements or improvisation, but just merely that any live performance will differ enough from the nuances of a studio album mix that it isn't really possible in most cases to say whether the band is performing one mix or another. After all, the performance is being mixed anew, and in real time, at the venue (and will almost certainly not even include all the same parts that were available on the studio multitracks to be mixed).

JulesRules and Paul H like this.
  20. dubious title

dubious title Forum Resident

In the promo video for I/O, Peter mentioned the moon bing pink, that it was "something for Nick Drake fans". At the time it seemed like a throwaway comment, but then realized that Peter shared a few shows with Nick.

I like the new song ok. Like it less when people compare it to Coldplay or U2.

21. audiotom

audiotom I can not hear a single sound as you scream

There is a total solar eclipse April 20th off the nw tip of Australia

There is an annular solar eclipse October 14th in America from Oregon through 4 corners to texas

Can those two count? I / O tour is over the next weekend in Houston

JulesRules and tug_of_war like this.
  22. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

Solar eclipses are for EPs :D
    As for October 14th, that's the release date of the vinyl record in 14 different colors.

JulesRules, WhatDoIKnow and audiotom like this.
  23. apb

apb Game on!

I can think of one: Chinese Democracy, which was released on a Sunday and only through Best Buy.

ARK likes this.
  24. VinchVolt123

VinchVolt123 I took a look at those hands.

For those curious, here are the remaining full moons for 2023:
    • May 5 - Friday
    • June 3 - Saturday
    • July 3 - Monday
    • August 1 - Tuesday
    • August 30 - Wednesday
    • September 29 - Friday
    • October 28 - Saturday
    • November 27 - Monday
    • December 26 - Tuesday
    The first full moon of 2024 on a Friday is June 21, and I seriously doubt it'll take that long for the album to drop. Since September 29, 2023 is a full harvest moon, that seems like the most likely release date for i/o assuming that the lunar release schedule applies to that too. If not and the schedule is indeed covering the full lunar calendar, maybe it'll be the first Friday after December 26 (which would be the 29th).

Either way, it's all just speculation; we'll know when the time arrives.

25. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

The assumption is that PG will play i/o songs on the tour that have not been released yet.