Peter Gabriel - new album - I/O

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by abzach, Oct 10, 2021.

1. johnsiddique

johnsiddique Forum Resident

Only listened on Spotify on headphones as am on a train but enjoyed this one. First of the I/O material that has caught me properly that musical place inside. Will be listening again

NorthNY Mark likes this.
  2. GoodVibrations47

GoodVibrations47 Every living being is a dancer

I am looking forward to buying this on CD, another great track!

WhatDoIKnow and abzach like this.
  3. rlj1010

rlj1010 Forum Resident

Another stunner.

4. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

The trickling out of this album, which I will probably love, has caused me to lose interest. Kind of, wake me up when it is actually fully released!

Tim

5. rlj1010

rlj1010 Forum Resident

Exactly the opposite for me. It's kept my interest up for months, and I look forward to every new song and every new mix.

6. jacden

jacden Senior Member

Same here. I actually happened to look out the window last night and noticed the moon looked kinda full and thought it must be about time for a new song. Really perked up my evening.

7. MechanicalAnimal6

MechanicalAnimal6 Forum Resident

i'll check out the new track whenever i FINALLY get it in album format on a cd from him....
    this piece meal, releasing 1 track at a snails pace sure has been tiresome....just put out the dang album already

8. dalecooper

dalecooper Forum Resident

Sort of describes me too, but rather than losing interest in the album completely, I just switched off from paying any attention to the promotion. I heard the first two singles. Now I'm waiting for a release date, and until it gets one, I am mostly pretending that I don't know it's coming. Once every few weeks, I click on this thread to see if there's any news on that front.

9. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Over/under on complaints about the release strategy for this month's new track?

10. Bfunkthe1

Bfunkthe1 Forum Resident

I tend or at least try to be a "glass half full" person. That said, my glass is overflowing! lol.
    I love that, as of today, we now have five brand-new PG tracks! With different mixes and some Atmos as well. It's great because I listen to these every weekend and I get to know them a bit more each time. And the songs are great IMO. It's truly shaping up to be a terrific album. Everyone has the option to listen to the new songs or not. I get that some don't like this rollout and prefer a full album and that's how they want to experience the new music. That's fine too. To each his own.
    My glass continues to be filled. :cool:

11. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

I feel like these songs are the type that should go together and be listened to as an album. As individual songs, I'm not driven to listen to them over and over again. I feel like there's something there, but it'll take some listening to really get into them.

12. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Wow, good call by those saying this last track is great. Very brooding, reminiscent of early 80s PG.

13. All Shook Down

All Shook Down @Lost Mixtapes on You Tube

This album is shaping up to be something really special. Yes, I wish he would just release it. But I never overplay advance singles from albums. I just listen to them once or twice to get an idea so the album still sounds fresh to me when it comes out.

Another great song!

Sgt. Abbey Road likes this.
  14. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

Best track so far. But come on, just release the album already.

CDFanatic and sound chaser like this.
  15. dubious title

dubious title Forum Resident

Things disappear fast these days. Someone who spent two or three dacades making a record understandably wants it to have some sort of longevity. I can't imagine how dispiriting is it for an artist (especially one who is starting out) to pour their soul into making a record and release it to little, or no fanfare, and have its long awaited debut last for a week or two, forgotten in an avalanche of new music and noise. It's not how I would like him to finally release his new record, but I sure don't blame him for trying out a strategy that could hopefully better engage people over a longer period of time.

I'll be the first to give a..... meh to the new song. Nice mood, good lyrics and decent enough song/melodies, but I'm sooooo done with this kind of Gabriel track. Little dynamics, more drum programming, that tempo and beat again and it's all just... so dull. No interesting sounds, no weird David Rhodes guitar parts, no interesting percussion or production... absolutely bereft of any of the qualities that made his early and best records great. Wall of overworked digital blandness. For people who use similar tools to make music and are competent at it, I can assure you it's very easy to concoct much of what is heard behind Gabriel's vocal.

Last edited: May 5, 2023
  16. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I can't reply now, I need to go yell at some youngsters to get off my lawn.....
    :D

17. Ere

Ere Senior Member

Let’s hear your track then. Since it’s “very easy” how about by this afternoon?

18. dubious title

dubious title Forum Resident

How about I don't question your ability at what you do professionally, and you don't comment on mine? I knew my comment would provoke a response like this. I didn't say it to boast.

Writing a song, especially a good one is difficult and takes time. I will again suggest that for someone who's worked with digital tools, synthesizers, plug ins, computers, sequencers and DAWs, has a decent aesthetic sense and musicality, a good number could make a backing track as good as Four Horses in a day.

19. mcvoss

mcvoss Forum Resident

A few songs written in under 1 hour off the top of my head:
    Yesterday
    Losing my Religion
    (I Can't get no) Satisfaction
    My Sharona
    40 - U2

cartolp, Geordiepete and tug_of_war like this.
  20. MrCJF

MrCJF Best served with coffee and cake.

It's an immeadiate hit with me, but that's hot really a good sign, as over time I tend to prefer his more challenging music. But I'm starting to view this as a good body of work. I was thinking at one point I would not be buying the album, but that's changed.
    I'm also trying not to "over listen" to the music too much. Once or twice for each new mix is enough.

Ere and tug_of_war like this.
  21. rlj1010

rlj1010 Forum Resident

If i/o was Ok Computer, then "Four Kinds Of Horses" would be its "Climbing Up The Walls".

(I mean that as a compliment.)

VinchVolt123, MrCJF and tug_of_war like this.
  22. Ere

Ere Senior Member

Newsflash this is a forum - don’t post, especially facile comments, if you don’t want a response.

23. Colin Allstations

Colin Allstations Forum Resident

Guys I don't think we've expressed enough that releasing one song at a time is not a good idea!

LivingForever and tug_of_war like this.
  24. MrCJF

MrCJF Best served with coffee and cake.

Maybe we need to say it with caps lock or much bigger fonts? Im sure Pete is following this thread, we just need to make him understand.

25. Ere

Ere Senior Member

‘Four Horses’ first impression - need to hear this on the main system - it may be a sleeper.

MrCJF likes this.