Peter Gabriel - new album - I/O

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by abzach, Oct 10, 2021.

1. Ere

Ere Senior Member

Same here, the darkside mix on ‘Playing for Time’ is epic.

JulesRules likes this.
  2. rlj1010

rlj1010 Forum Resident

Not sure how one can "vastly" prefer one mix to the other, when the differences between them are very very subtle (to my ears, anyway).

:shrug:

3. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Maybe he will release three albums and call them all I/O..... :whistle:

4. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

I/O, I/O, it's off to work we go...

5. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

So ignore the releases he's doing for now, put the project out of your mind and pretend you know nothing about this album.

Then when it comes out you get a new PG album on your terms.

6. MicSmith

MicSmith Forum Resident

In one of the videos, at least, he refers to the "i/o Project" as being the album and tour. You can extend that to anything i/o related I suppose - marketing, interviews and so on. He may go into physical release overdrive eventually but I get the impression that he is not going to a McCartney and release umpteenth versions of the physical album. I'd be happy with a standalone 2CD, 1 version on vinyl and 1 BluRay release to be honest and a separate BluRay for the tour a year on from now, once the album has done its job in the market. I'd also like to see Flotsam and Jetsam appear physically too at some point.

7. Future Nostalgia

Future Nostalgia Host of Sending Signals podcast

From the press release that was sent out today:

“Further details on the release plans for the full album will follow”.

8. MicSmith

MicSmith Forum Resident

I found out about the vinyl edition of the promo version of Up about 6 years ago and got a copy off discogs the same day. You got yours at a great price.

Ere likes this.
  9. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Right! I didn't even notice it was the promo version until later.

MicSmith likes this.
  10. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I think the songs actually play fine in the order in which they've been released. But at least at the start, his comments didn't suggest he has a complete tracklist in mind that he's just going down one at a time.

11. MicSmith

MicSmith Forum Resident

As a record collector of 45 years and counting those days live on in the memory forever - I remember stumbling on the Super Disk edition of Gabriel 1 in 1983 when I move to a largish City in the UK and although it was £9 about double what you'd pay for an LP I bought it and had no idea until I played it that it contained the long version of Slowburn. That was a good day!

12. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

Oh, it's not always that subtle. "I/O" sounds way too much "in your face" (i.e. compressed) in the "Bright Side" version - ready for radio play, but not something I enjoy listening to. The Dark Side mix made that one a lot more palatable for me. And likewise, I had trouble getting into "Four Kinds of Horses" with the Bright Side mix - so much so that I didn't even bother listening to the Dark Side mix for a while, but when I did, it clearly convinced me more.

With the other tracks, it's indeed a bit more subtle. But those Dark Side mixes consistently sound earthier, more like a band playing together and more in the PG tradition (to me).

13. rlj1010

rlj1010 Forum Resident

I fully respect your opinion, but for me, the differences between the Bright and Dark mixes are not nearly as drastic as they are for you.

But it's all good! :righton:

MicSmith likes this.
  14. MrCJF

MrCJF Best served with coffee and cake.

So not a Full Moon Club email then?
    It will be good to settle the full album physical release debate, then we can get back to the music appreciation (or monthly whinging).

JackOfAllTrades likes this.
  15. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

We don't know.
    I see two options:

-He put out a double-cd version of the album, Disc 1 is all Bright side mixes, Disc 2 is all Dark side mixes.
    or
    -After all the full moon releases he asks the fans to choose which mix should be on the album. (or use the fan comments so far to decide)

or both :)

sound chaser and Tom34772 like this.
  16. JackOfAllTrades

JackOfAllTrades It's only my opinion

Or maybe the album will contain totally different 'album' mixes.

ARK, JulesRules, Max Florian and 2 others like this.
  17. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

Too logical for this thread. You're simply going too far in a noble effort to quell all of the whining. How else are the overly-entitled expected to complain?

Aggie87, Progatron and rlj1010 like this.
  18. Paul H

I think people have a right express their feelings about the release strategy. That would be true if he were issuing the album in a limited edition gold plated boxed set or run of 7" singles. My frustration is around people repeating their views over and over. But I haven't actually checked to see if that's the case or if the commenters are different each time.

Max Florian likes this.
  19. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

Not much of a plan if you are going to one of his gigs.

Randy Williams and NunoBento like this.
  20. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

Oh, don't get me wrong, please. Feel free to express as one will, of course, but, all the same, make no mistake, these bombastic, melodramatic "I'll never buy....unless" posts are pure, petulant nonsense, IMO. The level of entitlement is appalling.

How about some perspective? Be grateful the man is still with us in order to make a collection of songs for his fans to discuss.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2023
  21. rlj1010

rlj1010 Forum Resident

Well said!

Randy Williams, mcvoss and oneway23 like this.
  22. Paul H

Oh, agreed. That's just the nature of online discourse, I think. I wasn't aiming my comments at you specifically though; it was just a general observation.

oneway23 likes this.
  23. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

No problem. Sorry to build a soapbox off the back of your post lol

Paul H likes this.
  24. Paul H

Personally, my biggest issue with i/o is that I'm not enjoying the songs. At least, with a traditional release, I'd have played the album a few times and then either grown to like it or walked away. As it is, I keep being pulled back in in the hope of liking the next song and then finding that I don't much. It's becoming a bit of a roller coaster of hope/disappointment/hope/disappointment/hope...

keiron99, oneway23 and MikeVielhaber like this.
  25. petercw2

petercw2 Forum Resident

as excited as I am for the concert - the drip campaign of the new releases has very much dampened my interest in the album.

Part of what I love about his work is discovering it as a whole, not in parts and I feel like this methodology has killed it. I just keep thinking about when I last went to the store, picked up (insert PG album here) and began listening to it from front to back and figuring it out. Now, I see a new song has been posted, listen to it a couple of times and forget about it.

Maybe there's some twist or surprise coming at the end of this journey but I can't imagine what that is. I'm glad others on here have found it to be a postitive way of releasing a new album.

it's pointless to ask why he's doing it this way, but after 5-6 months of it, I'm definitely positive my initial reaction to the idea was correct.