Peter Gabriel SACD's at Best Buy already

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew, Apr 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drew

Drew Senior Member Thread Starter

I don't know if this is news but I was stumbling thru Best Buy about 2 hours ago and was surprised to see the Peter Gabriel SACD's already on the shelf. I thought these were supposed to be out Tuesday.

If anyone is heading out tonite, you now have something to spend your hand earned cash on.

I bought "So" (yeah I copped out commercially) but haven't listened to it yet.

2. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Well, get cracking mate ;) - we await the word.

Regards,
    Geoff

3. lsupro

lsupro King of Ignorers

was there yesterday and didn't see them. I did notice that our Best Buy took the SACD's our of the electronics section and put them in their own section within the cd department, right next to s similar, but larger (size) DVD-A section.

Just hought I'd pass it along since we were talking aobut Best Buy.

4. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

They did the same here. I should go and check if PG's stuff trickled in....

5. Drew

Drew Senior Member Thread Starter

How does it sound? Well, no obvious deficiencies. Doesn't sound maximized. Doesn't sound goosed in the bass or treble to me. It does have the same modified track order the remastered CD that came out last year had.

But its not a sonic revelation either over previous releases. I own far better SACD's. Heck, I own far better sounding CD's. It's a little more detailed than the remaster but it doesn't sound harsh. The vocals by Kate Bush on "That Voice Again" grabbed me a little more. But its not as though the soundstage is opened up on any of these tracks. I also have the original CD which I don't think is really a bad sounding CD.

If you don't have the remasters and you need to feed your SACD machine you might want to pick it up. Better yet pick up one of the other PG SACD's and submit a review. ;)

I bought most of the remastered CD's when they came out and over time I might buy more of these PG SACD's, especially if I see a 25% off sale at Tower's site or something like that. But based on this disc I'm not really in a rush.

6. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

No PG SACDS at BB yet. Not suprised that the SACDs don't sound sonically special. Seems like the UNi SACDs are not sonic dynamite in comparision to the CD counterparts.... Like the Police.... Although I bought 4 of them already :)

7. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

I put on PG's "Shaking The Tree/Greatest Hits" SACD today and it didn't really sound that much better than the new remastered cd that came out recently to my ears.

When I switched between the 2 I actually prefered the cd version. Again it was my first crack at it and I may need to spend more time with the SACD.

Some SACD's sound much better right off the bat to me but this one felt a bit disappointing to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.