Peter Tosh "Legalize It" SACD; any good?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GoldenBoy, Feb 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater Thread Starter

Hey folks,

I was thinking of making the Peter Tosh "Legalize It" multichannel SACD one of my next purchases, but I was wondering if it's any good? If it sounds good in just stereo, that's fine with me because that's my main focus anyhow, but I'd also like to know how the 5.1 mix is. Thanks in advance everyone.

2. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

The Peter Tosh release on SACD is the best I have ever heard this album on any digital format. You have to be cognizant of the fact that a majority of this album was recorded in Jamaica in the late 1970's - and I would almost bet that the analog equipment used was not of the same quality that one would find in the US or Europe.

There is a lot of variability in sound quality from cut to cut, but the SACD bests the re-mastered 1999 CD to a good extent.

The surround mix really makes this disc shine. Even though all speakers are used aggressively, there is a extreme cohesiveness about the surround mix that really envelopes you and doesn't let go. It isn't a gimmicky mix at all, but the experience is so great, for me at least, that the 40+ minutes that this disc was playing in surround I forgot I was even sitting in my living room listening to recorded music. It took me to that special place that only really good music, in a good atmosphere can do. It doesn't hurt that I am a big reggae music fan and would jump at the chance to have any reggae artist release his/her music on SACD.

Bring on "Equal Rights" on SACD.

3. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater Thread Starter

Thanks

Mike,

Thanls for the response. It sounds good. I think I will invest in that SACD. I know what you're saying about the recording quality, it I don't think I would expect it to be of stellar quality either, but if, as you say, the SACD 'bests the re-mastered 1999 CD to a good extent. ' , then it must definitely be worth it, especially if the 5.1 mix is as good as you say. I consider 5.1 to be an added bonus, as I have stated before, my main focus is good old stereo. My surround set up is not up to the same standards as my stereo system, but it is still pretty decent, and I have enjoyed listening to some 5.1 mixes on the occasion as a different musical listening experience. Thanks again for your thoughts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.