Petition Drive for Neil's "Time Fades Away" CD!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by David P. Hill, Feb 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident Thread Starter

Let's pad the numbers on this petition forum members!
    Might give it a sign. What do we have to lose! Let's vote for Steve to make this "Gold".I know this was recorded direct-to-disk, but would it require that "master disk" or copy of the mixes to remaster it to gold cd? This petition came off the website of CSNY Sweet Lorraine(http://www.suitelorraine.com/bbs/messages/9164.

ThePetition Site htmlhttp://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/release-time-fades-away
    or Thrasher's site:http://thrasherswheat.org/tnfy/tfa-petition.php

Also click on HDCD in Thrasher's "Time Fades Away" article and see some rare pictures of the cd.

Please sign up because "Time Is Fading Away"
    :cool:

Attached Files:

2. floyd

floyd Senior Member

did it

3. That is sweet! Love to get a hold of one of those.

Attached Files:

4. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

5. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

6. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

I've been known to enjoy a Neil Young record from time to time, and as much as I love TFA, Neil clearly doesn't. If he had wanted to issue a high rez version of the album it would have come out with ON THE BEACH and the others in the recent batch of DVD-A's. That he didn't speaks volumes about the chances of a petition moving him to action (or licensing it for SH to work on). I do think it's unfair to those who have heard the album and adore it (and to those who haven't and would) but ce la vie. :shake:

7. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

Signed.

8. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

David said: I know this was recorded direct-to-disk, but would it require that "master disk" or copy of the mixes to remaster it to gold cd?

Jeff replies: It was mixed direct to disc, not recorded. So that process did skip one generation of tape hiss for the original LPs.

I did a good needle drop of a mint copy of the LP. Its a good album, not a lost masterpiece, or anything the world can't live without.

9. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Some of us must be from a different world than you! :D

10. ksmitty

ksmitty Senior Member

I signed the petition , Thanks for the thread regarding this masterpiece NY album.

11. Toby

Toby Well-Known Member

Thanks for this thread. Unfortunately, I really doubt Neil will ever release this (too many bad memories from the tour), but it's worth a shot--stranger things have happened. In an interview one time Neil said, "Whenever someone tells me Time Fades Away is their favorite album, I just stare at them blankly without saying a word. Mind you, it doesn't happen very often.."

I still remember a year or two ago when browsing a used record store in Phoenix I picked up a vinyl copy of Time Fades Away. Driving home I had that mixture of apprehension and excitement of about to listen to a completely unknown album. When I got home, I was amazed at how intense an album it was...the passion and urgency in these songs reminded me of the performances in Dylan's 1966 electric tour. That weekend, I must have played Time Fades Away two dozen times, nearly wearing out the vinyl in the process.

I looked on line to see why I had never heard of the amazing album before, and to my surprise found out that it had never been released on CD. In a way, that gives this album a special aura--one can't just go down to the local Best Buy to hear it, one has to rally make an effort to get it. But it mainly just peeves me that I can't recommend this album to friends without resorting to CDR copying--I would much rather the money go to Neil.

12. Leppo

Leppo Forum Librarian

Me too. What do these go for?

13. Danny

Danny Senior Member

I signed it too. I miss this one.

14. Bolero

Bolero Senior Member

done!!

hope it does see the light of day on CD, I'm a huge Neil Young fan.

:goodie:

15. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

I signed the petition. It's not my favorite Neil, but it is one of my favorites. I have the lp and a cd-r of the HDCD that was to have been released around '95.

16. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

Yeah, actual CD pressings of that scrapped 1995 issue can be found for $$$ but it's so easy to get a copy from trading circles. It sounds so much better than any needle-drop I've ever heard.

17. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

Agreed. It sounds fabulous.

18. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Signed the petition. I was number 672 out of the 5000 they are looking for.

Comeon everyone, sign!

19. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Signed it.

Not holding my breath.

20. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

I'm not sure this album can sound much better than the HDCD that's doing the rounds. I really don't think there is THAT much room for improvement but I may be wrong.

It's such a shame that one can't walk into a store and buy a CD that has The Bridge, Love in Mind or Don't Be Denied on CD. It's really an amazing album. A total 5 star classic IMO and an incredibly ballsy follow up to Harvest...

21. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Can someone explain the "direct to disk" thing a bit better? Does this mean there are no multi-tracks or master tape?

22. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

It means that while the concert tapes were recorded on multi-track tapes, the mix-down went straight to disc cutting lathe (that eventually made disc stampers) rather than master tape.

Usually, the multi track tapes are mixed to a 2 track stereo tape, and then cut to disc.

So Neil was able to achieve a better audiophile type record with this one step skipped (the mix-down to 2 track tape).

This method could also present problems later when a CD was being considered for release. If you have no 2 track master, you would need to remix again. Or if you do have a good 2 track master mixed when the original album was cut, it could sound slightly less transparent than an original LP does. This may have been why the album did not get a CD issue at this point in time. The sound of that unissued HDCD mastered copy may not represent the word well enough.

Perhaps Neil's people did not have the time to do a new digital mix just yet. And decided to work on Harvest 5.1, and the other albums that do not require a new mix effort.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.