Petition EMI/Capitol For A JAN & DEAN Box Set!!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dgsinner, Jun 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark319

mark319 New Member

Right . . . Jan & Dean sold millions of records . . . but the Trashmen get a box set. Someone find out how many copies that thing sold.

M.

2. rod

rod Senior Member

I think the question is "How much did that material cost to license?"
    and "How much will it cost to license the Jan & Dean material?..

3. mark319

mark319 New Member

Good question . . . Jan Berry / Jan & Dean have masters all over the place . . . EMI/Capitol . . . Warner Bros . . . Ace recently aquired the Dore material . . . A&M / Ode Records (Lou Adler would allow the use of that material, I'm sure), etc.

M.

4. Todd E

Todd E Forum Resident

What I call the Dave Clark 5 theory:

Guy runs into the weekly a&r conference at Hollywood Records, waving a copy of Goldmine.

Look! he shouts. Ten letters this issue of Goldmine, demanding a Dave Clark 5 album! We've got to get on it!

Spending lots of parent company Disney's money, Hollywood meets Clark's outrageously inflated price to lease the masters, and issues an album guaranteed to sell to every Dave Clark fan -- his first-ever Greatest Hits collection to be issued on compact disc.

It sells nine copies. One of the guys who wrote to Goldmine changed his mind.

Now:

Guy runs into the weekly a&r conference at EMI Records, waving a computer printout.

Look! he shouts. Seventeen pages of posts on Steve Hoffman's forum, demanding a Jan & Dean box set. We've got to get on it!

Spending lots of, EMI puts together a eight-CD set of Jan & Dean material, starting with some Jan & Arnie demos and covering their entire career, including all their hits in mono and stereo versions, lots of previously unissued material, and a lavish Bear Family-style book, with hundreds of photos and extensive liner noted by a Civil War historian.

It sells 75 copies. Of those seventeen pages, well over 80% were written by the same four or five people. And of the others, 17 decided not to buy the album because there wasn't enough tape hiss on the alternate take of The Anaheim, Azusa & Cucamonga Sewing Circle, Book Review and Timing Association..

5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Hey! that's a thought! did anyone try contacting Bear Family records?

Can you imagine a quality BF J& D box! WOW!!!!

6. dgsinner

dgsinner New Member Thread Starter

There are a lot of people here who can assess sales potential better than I can. Still, I don't buy your analysis.

I see all kinds of specialty releases here in Japan that I'd never have thought would sell more than a handful of copies--both in digital and analog formats. Somehow, it's profitable enough for someone to find the material and bring it out. And I'm talking the most obscure of the obscure.

I and great many people here are the exception, but how many people bought the Monster Records 180-gram vinyl issue of The Sonics 1967 studio outtakes? I did...but I don't imagine many people did. Still, it's regularly stocked at my nearest record store.

I believe a Jan & Dean box has so much more potential than that.

Dale

7. dyno guy

dyno guy Forum Resident

:righton: :righton: :righton:

Doubletracked vocal overdub, background harmony vocal, Take 7a!

The next thing we'll read, Jan & Dean fans, is that Jan and Dean never existed.... they were an artificial creation of Brian Wilson.... NOT!

8. rod

rod Senior Member

No - Lou Adler...:wave:

9. dgsinner

Ever notice how the "Dean" on Jan & Dean's Golden Hits doesn't really look like the "Dean" on the cover of Drag City a year or so later? I have.

Dale

10. mark319

mark319 New Member

By a Civil War historian? . . . Right . . . But the same Civil War historian who also transcribed and adapted the original music scores . . . brass, woodwinds, guitars, bass, drums, auxilliary percussion, etc. . . . from Jan Berry's original music scores (the ones used by Hollywood studio musicians to record the original tracks).

So those kinds of labels only serve detractors. There are two facets here . . . (1) the music itself . . . and (2) the history behind it.

I don't have all the answers (and no one ever will) . . . but if someone can match what I've amassed when it comes to Jan & Dean (in terms of the music and historical documentation) . . . I'd like to know who it is.

'Cause that person will be someone I need to know . . . (seriously).

M.

11. rod

rod Senior Member

That sounds more like Rhino - where the person writing the liner notes doesn't know what tracks are included on the cd (at least that's the way it used to be)..

12. dyno guy

dyno guy Forum Resident

There's no doubt in my mind, Mark, that you have the goods on Jan & Dean- the archival documents, interviews, musical analysis/charts- the whole enchilada. You have added priceless insights and info to this thread that I'm sure 99.9% of Jan & Dean fans/forum members appreciate in spades.

Unfortunately, there will always be that one rock-thrower, the 'one in every crowd' type who'll spew cynicism and negativity like it's the truth, and who'll pour doubt onto chart #'s, just about anything, to twist it to their own view.

As we all know, this thread is about getting enough names signed to a legitimate petition so that the powers that be will release a long-overdue, properly researched, mastered, and compiled Jan & Dean Box Set- a totally justified endeavor/tribute to a classic group that really deserves it. With your background and connections, Mark, you've given us all hope that such a Jan & Dean Box Set becomes a reality. I for one sincerely hope that you play a vital role in its' creation- you certainly deserve to.

For the rock-thrower: this isn't about how many Jan & Dean Box Sets will be sold. It's about creating the Box Set, and doing it right- making it happen. The rest will take care of itself. Classic, timeless music will resonate in today's marketplace, and defy the 'rock-thrower's of the world... . Go pour your sarcastic negativity somewhere else: this thread doesn't need or want it!

13. Rubber Soul

Rubber Soul Well-Known Member

Well considering how many box sets have been done over the years why not Jan & Dean? I'm sure that many releases that have been issued from the love of the music haven't sold big numbers. However if a company keeps a set in print for years to come sales continue..I mean the Dave Clark Five Two Cd Set that was deleted after(IMHO) a short time continues to be quite a seller on EBay at quite an inflated price!! Heck One Way thought enough of J&D to re-release their Lps. Sure it wasn't the best job but they were trying to fill a gap.

14. dgsinner

Mark has already shown that beyond reproach with his website, writings and posts here on this forum.

Am I the only one that recognizes that a Civil War historian, or any historian for that matter, will have the background to do the research right? Again, Mark has already shown a huge research effort (just look at his website), but, just saying...He's clearly a huge fan, has the intelligence AND the materials in hand it seems to provide the research end of the project with no problem at all. It's just getting the music "powers-that-be" behind it...

By the way, what's the deal with trolls who have little to no interest in the music being discussed chiming in with their buckets of cold water? Nothing else to do or what?:confused:

Dale

15. dyno guy

dyno guy Forum Resident

****Chartbustin' with Jan & Dean: "THE LITTLE OLD LADY (FROM PASADENA)"

--"THE LITTLE OLD LADY (FROM PASADENA)" ( Jan Berry-Don Altfeld-Roger Christian)

--Release Date: June 8, 1964. Liberty single 55704.

Once again, for the sixth consecutive Jan & Dean hit single since "Surf City", Jan Berry was heavily involved in the writing of "The Little Old Lady (From Pasadena)". He apparently got the original idea from a local Dodge commercial that featured ' a little old lady from Pasadena.' The same phrase had also been used as a long-time joke on The Jack Benny Show. While Jan developed the song's melody and theme,friends Don Altfeld and Roger Christian (a DJ at KFWB in LA) contributed to the lyrics.

In typical fashion, Jan was heavily involved ( the leading force) with the arrangements, production ( with a little help from Lou Adler), and studio recording and mixing with expert help from engineers Bones Howe and Lanky Linstrot. Appearing for the first time on a Jan & Dean single were The Fantastic Baggys (Phil (P.F.) Sloan and Steve Barri), who handled the background harmony vocals (with help from The Honeys). That was Phil Sloan on the classic falsetto vocal. The Wrecking Crew did their usual first-rate job on the backing band tracks. The final song was very tight, and superbly produced by Jan Berry (as they all were).

Unlike its' predecessor ("Dead Man's Curve"/"The New Girl In School"), "The Little Old Lady (From Pasadena) broke quickly out of the gate in LA and Detroit. The national chart action on Cashbox virtually mirrorred that of the local stations- especially KFWB- through mid-August. Another difference was that "The Little Old Lady (From Pasadena)" enjoyed moderate success in New York City, unlike DMC/NGIS.

Someone at Liberty must have been working overtime, as WKNR in Detroit featured "The Little Old Lady (From Pasadena)" as its' 'Key Song of The Week' on June 4th- four days before its' official release! Within three weeks, by June 25th, TLOLFP had rocketed up to #11 on WKNR's charts- the fastest and highest chart action of any station I was able to survey (up to that date,of course). On rival CKLW, it reached the same spot by the end of June.

It didn't take "The Little Old Lady (From Pasadena)" very long to catch up in LA. On KRLA, it made its' debut at #47 on June 13th; KFWB initially charted it a week later (6/20/64) at #37. While the Beach Boys' "I Get Around" was entrenched at the top of the charts, Granny wasn't fazed at all, quickly accelerating in the LA market, hitting #2 for three weeks in a row, starting on July 11th, on KFWB. On crosstown rival KRLA, "The Little Old Lady" put pedal to the metal and peaked at #4 a week later.

This swift chart action was effectively matched on the national Cashbox Top 100 singles charts, where "The Little Old Lady (from Pasadena)" made a stunning debut at #60 on June 20, 1964 (the 'Top Debut of The Week'). Within three weeks, Granny had charged her way inside the Cashbox Top 10, at #7 (7/11/64).

This time around, Jan & Dean enjoyed some solid success in New York City. Amazingly, WABC had made TLOLFP a 'Pick Hit' on June 9th- one day after its' release! (the Liberty promo guys were smokin'). Starting on July 21, "The Little Old Lady" spent two weeks inside WABC's Top 10 (#9,#8). Even on rival WMCA- the ultimate 'tough nut to crack'- TLOLFP charted in their Top 30 for eight weeks, hitting #9 even earlier (7/8/64).

"The Little Old Lady (from Pasadena)" did even better on Pittsburgh's KQV charts: ten weeks in their Top 40, starting on June 23rd at #36, with seven weeks inside the Top 20, three weeks inside the Top 10-pretty respectable (peak position of #6 on 7/29/64).

Predictably, TLOLFP took a little longer to break in the Midwest, but when it did, the results were excellent. On KDWB in the Twin Cities, "The Little Old Lady (From Pasadena)" made its' debut on June 27th at #26. Three weeks later, Jan & Dean had cracked the Top 10 with "The Little Old Lady" at #10 (7/18/64), spending five weeks in KDWB's Top 10, three in their Top 5 (a two-week peak at #3, starting on 8/1/64).

In its' third week of airplay, TLOLFP entered Chicago's WLS Top 40 at #30 on July 3rd. Once again, its' rise was spectacular: three weeks later it was at #5 (7/24/64), where it hung in strongly for three weeks in a row! Once again, Jan & Dean continued to 'own' the Windy City chart-wise: officially, nine weeks charted, with eight (!) of them in the WLS Top 20, six (!) weeks in their Top 10.

"The Little Old Lady" achieved all this chart success amidst Beatlemania, wave #2: on LA's KRLA, "A Hard Day's Night" had come out of nowhere to hit #1 on July 11th; the next week, The Beatles climbed to #1 on the Cashbox charts.

With the local LA market back leading the way, Jan & Dean could be proud of the smash hit that "The Little Old Lady (From Pasadena)" had become. It spent nine weeks in KFWB's Top 40, seven weeks in their Top 20, five in their Top 10, with that three week peak at #2. TLOLFP did almost as well on KRLA: ten weeks of Top 50 chart action, eight weeks in the Top 20, five weeks in their Top 10, one week inside the Top 5 (#4 peak).

Nationally, on the Cashbox charts, "The Little Old Lady" spent twelve weeks inside the Top 100; ten weeks inside the Top 30, and five weeks inside the Top 10, peaking for two weeks at #5, starting on July 18, 1964 (overall Top 100 timeline was 6/20/64-9/5/64). On Billboard, it peaked even higher, at #3.

Three cheers for "The Little Old Lady (From Pasadena)" !!!

Remember folks: please sign the Jan & Dean Petition for a new Box set.

(P.S.- Steve: where were you when you first heard TLOLFP in the summer of '64? I'm gonna guess summer camp. Anyone else for memories/recollections?
    Even your take on the song, when you first heard it, no matter when it was.).

(P.S.S.- I highly recommend the Jan Berry Official Website, at jananddean-janberry.com, with a wealth of information, insight, and superb writing by Mark A. Moore: awesome! Kudos and thanks....)

16. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

You three guys who keep posting on this thread are going to have to pre-order 200 copies each in order to get this thing going.:agree:

17. dyno guy

dyno guy Forum Resident

Roger on that, Steve. Was it summer camp when you first heard it? Recollections please....:wave: :righton: :wave:

18. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

I signed the petition, have the "Legendary Masters" and "All The Hits" and would like to know (prospectively, of course) how many discs there would be and what the track listing would look like?

Wonder who would tape research and master too?

19. Steve Hoffman

Summer camp, yeah. There was a Dodge commercial on TV and the old lady said "How about a Dodge, hunnnnnny?" and then she fishtailed outta there in the car. She is the lady on the cover with Jan & Dean! It was a famous commercial and until this moment I had no idea that it was only in the LA area. Are you sure?

Pasadena is where little old ladies lived by the way.. They drove really slowly and badly, hence the visual play on words in the commercial (and later the song)..

At any rate, we knew all the words to the song after about 2 plays, heh. Used to sing the "Go granny, go granny, go granny GO!" part whenever it came on a transistor radio at camp (camp usually meant Zuma or Santa Monica beach). Geez, that was a helluva long time ago. Weird what we still remember from childhood. Can't remember what I had for lunch yesterday..

Don Altfeld hung around DCC (Dunhill Compact Classics) a lot in the late 1980's working on some deal or other. He was quite a character..

I got to hang with Roger Christian in the 1970's when he worked at KIQQ (K-100) and I was a high school kid trying to get a paying job in FM radio. He was a very nice guy. We talked about KFWB a lot..

20. dgsinner

Sure looks that way. I don't get it though. With as many people as there are on this forum who love 60s pop and rock, I sure thought we'd get a lot more signatures for Mark here. At last look, this thread has 4,491 views and I guess maybe a handful or two of signatures out of all that. That's a disappointment.

Jan & Dean's recorded output, especially their Liberty years, is so full of great music it's really a shame not to have it out in audiophile quality, let alone have it readily available at all in any format...

Jan & Dean were clearly a solid fixture in the early- to mid-sixties music scene as these chart analyses and yours and everyone's recollections attest.

Over the past couple of months I've needledropped Jan & Dean's "Dead Man's Curve", "Ride The Wild Surf" and "The Little Old Lady From Pasadena" LPs and I have to say I just never tire of this great, upbeat, harmony laden pop/rock. They were just classic. Repeated listenings always reveal something interesting, from the background vocals to the inventive backing tracks to the great Hal Blaine/Earl Palmer drumming. The mono mixes are so great...and the music so catchy, so upbeat. Like I said before, it's a tonic. How can you be down with a Jan & Dean record on the turntable?

I don't intend to give up the effort and I'll keep posting and uploading samples...but, I've got most all of their output on vinyl. Because I do, I can tell those of you who don't, you don't know what you're missing...If you did, that petition would be making some huge strides.

At the very least, every Beach Boys fan on this forum should sign for Jan & Dean...doncha think?

Dale

21. mark319

mark319 New Member

Altfeld is a character alright . . . I've swapped information with him extensively.

Just as a follow-up to the "Little Old Lady" summary above . . . As of 2002, Jan Berry's name has been officially restored to "Little Old Lady" as one of the song's writers. It got left off because of a big legal entanglement with Screen Gems in '64.

Jan wrote the music and arrangement . . . while Altfeld and Christian only wrote the lyrics.

In this same deal . . . Jan's name was also restored to some of his best album cuts from the "Dead Man's Curve" LP (also '64). (Sloan and Barri were the backing vocalists on the DMC album. That's Sloan's falsetto on "Hey Little Freshman").

Any time you go back and look at the writing credits on the original Liberty LPs and singles, and you see "Christian-Altfeld" as the writers . . . it's bogus. Those two were only the lyricists. Jan Berry was always the music writer when working with those two.

The instrumental on DMC credited to Altfeld was really Jan Berry . . . and the restored credit now reads "Berry-Altfeld."

Kudos to Don for helping to right some old wrongs. I served as intermediary between the Berrys and Altfeld to make that happen . . . But it wouldn't have happened if Don hadn't taken the first step to heal some old wounds . . . and it happened before Jan died, which was a big deal.

M.

22. Steve Hoffman

Interesting info, Mark. Thanks.

Oh, it was Christmas 1986 and I was doing some shopping at that big mall in Santa Monica with singer Clair Marlo when we bumped in to Jan Berry. His "man" was with him of course and he was doing some last minute shopping. Since I always get slightly nervous in these situations I just yelled out, "What'cha buying, Jan"?

He was so delighted that we knew who he was (I had whispered into Clair's ear "It's Jan of Jan And Dean!") that he became quite friendly and we chatted for a few minutes. I can't remember a thing we talked about but I was more nervous meeting Jan than I had been meeting a lot of my favorite music legends.

23. You would think so, but I'm amazed at how many Beach Boys fans will search out other related crap like The Many Moods Of Murry Wilson, and The Sunrays - Andrea, but have no interest in great music by their collaborators, Jan & Dean. :confused:

24. dgsinner

Is that the only place? Or is he all over that album?

There are two on that LP: the great "B" Gas Rickshaw and Barons, West L.A. "B" Gas Rickshaw is a fantastic instro and I'm surprised it isn't better known among surf music fans. It's only been covered once to my knowledge: in 1981 on The Raybeats "Guitar Beat" LP, but nothing beats the playing and production on the original.

Barons, West L.A. is a pleasant, sort of "Peter Gunn" knock off with a nice horn arrangement and the guitar playing with the "Peter Gunn" backbeat gives it a tough feel, which I'm sure was the intent seeing that it was probably meant as a nostalgic "theme" to their high school group.

Dale

25. dgsinner

There ya go: didn't The Sunrays get a two-fer reissue at some point? Don't get be wrong, those guys had great voices and harmonies, but gawd the material...besides "Andrea" and "I Live For The Sun", whattaya got? "A Boy And His Dog"?! Gimme a break Jan & Dean gotta rank better than that! Many Moods of Murray Wilson sheesh gimme a beer before I blow a fuse...

Dale

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.