Petition launched to reintroduce Technics turntables (Update: The SL-1200 is Back!)*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by englishbob, May 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023 Thread Starter

http://www.change.org/en-AU/petitio...introduction-of-legendary-technics-turntables

http://www.factmag.com/2014/04/10/petition-launched-to-reintroduce-technics-turntables/

A petition has been launched online to reintroduce the Technics SL-1200 turntable, which has been out of circulation since manufacturer Panasonic retired the iconic model in October 2010 after almost forty years as the world’s DJ turntable of choice.

Launched in January of this year through online petition platform Change.org, the campaign has picked up pace after a slow start, gathering over 5,000 signatures in the last five days, and currently stands at close to 7,000 overall. Tabled by one Moni Daniel, the campaign states:

For turntable-fanatics we’ve seen technology advance expeditiously and that’s not to say there are no benefits to the digitalisation of music… However we feel that there’s a place for vinyl and the traditional DJ’ing and turntablism is too – and this is where we feel the Technics SL 1200s are vital.

More in hope perhaps than expectation, the petition will be presented to Panasonic Company and its parent company Matsushita Corporate, and simply demands the “re-introduction of legendary Technics Turntables”. Of course, there’s also a Facebook group doing the rounds which has also drummed up over 6,000 likes.

You can sign the petition here. That said, with 3.5 million thought to have been sold in the last 35 years, you might be better off nabbing yourself one on the frankly saturated second hand market.

In related news, Pioneer recently unveiled a new turntable heavily influenced by the Technics model, which you can see here. You should also check our list of the 8 best budget turntables for home listening, for more alternatives.

This is also not the first time disgruntled record collectors have mobilized via social media. Last month close to 30,000 people joined a group to save IKEA’s 12″-friendly storage shelf, the Expedit, which has now been pulled from circulation. Although the writing was already on the wall for Expedit, the outcry did draw an official response from IKEA.

ShallowMemory and Grant like this.
  2. SixtiesGuy

SixtiesGuy Ministry of Love

On 5/15, on the Both Sides Now Stereo Chat Board, someone posted a message stating that Panasonic is responding to the many petitions they have received by restarting production of the Technics SL1200. I haven't seen anything confirming this anywhere else.

MikeJedi, Grant and englishbob like this.
  3. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Is that really the only direct drive table capable of enduring the punishment that amateur DJ's put them through?

Daniel Thomas likes this.
  4. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

It was the best built and longer lasting. Also, many audiophiles geeked them out with KAB modifications.

theron d likes this.
  5. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

No, not pulled yet here in Seattle. Ikea in Kent/Renton has the 6'x6' unit on sale for $99. And still has the individual 'blocks' for $9.99 each. Their just not advertised on the web site.
    the beave

6. skriefal

skriefal Senior Member

Sounds like seriously-wishful thinking. But I'd love to be proven wrong.

7. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

My Gosh, Why? There are more turntables available NOW than there were in Hi Fi's heyday!!

Anyone who would buy a new 1200 should just buy a Rega RP1 and get audiophile sound for the same money.

Baby Driver and gingerly like this.
  8. Grant

But, they want the stability of a direct drive and the durability of a Technics 1200mk. Many people are not so interested in the audiophile sound, although a Technics can seriously approach that performance if they are modded a bit. You see how many people are taking out the preamp of the Audio Technica tables. There's even a whole thread about + YoooToob it somewhere around here.

Hail Vinyl! likes this.
  9. In addition, the June 2013 issue of Hi-Fi Choice Magazine showcased a shootout test among six budget turntables. In case you want to check it out, you can download it from this link.

10. Wngnt90

Wngnt90 Forum Resident

Hey, a petition and write in campaign worked getting Klipsch to reintroduce Cornwall speakers, albeit on a custom order basis from their heritage lineup.

11. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

Cornwall has just got EU status, perhaps it will have a county LS now
    Not sure Sir Nigel Farrage will approve.

12. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

I don't think so.

13. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

I don't think so. Project Debut Carbon.

14. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Some of us need the SL-1200 or an SP line. I am one of those. And I can hear pitch wavering to some small degree in the Regas and Pro-Jects in that price range but I am hearing improvements in them lately. Wall shelf not an option in my old house with wood floors. These Regas and Pro-Jects are not the best for gimpy feet and wheelchair users in houses with wood floors. So, I and many others needs are better served by Technics. And it's effortless uncolored playback and speed constancy is beloved by many, enough that people hot rod them. I am among the latter. And for me, they don't skip easily for me.

15. SixtiesGuy

SixtiesGuy Ministry of Love

Agreed. Thus far I haven't been able to find anything to verify this, but I hope it's correct.

16. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Just make sure you get to audition the actual Pro-Ject table you'll be bringing home before buying it. Not a demo but the table itself. Many folks are having issues with resonant motor noise vibrating through the plinth to the tonearm. I've had two Pro-Jects and even changed the motor on the second with a new Pro-Ject motor. Even withg this I had to hack the turntable with gel pads, and run the output through digital noise reduction to get rid of the noise.

Grant likes this.
  17. To me, the perfect turntable is the KAB Custom SL-1200. I'd really love to own one of them.

Grant likes this.
  18. Grant

Yes. As much as I like My Music Hall, I will be getting a different one one day. Maybe it will be a direct drive if I can't afford a $2,000 model of something.

19. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

I had the same thoughts.

20. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023 Thread Starter

21. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

--------------------------
    I would sure bet that KAB would love for them to come back. I have not seen Pioneer presenting their NEW TT yet on their sight. If that is going to happen they should really promote it.

22. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

-----------------
    It's a CONCEPT turntable.

23. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

I believe Matsushita said it was not economically viable to produce an updated SL-1200. Perhaps the goal would be better served as a Kickstarter initiative.

24. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Can't even guarantee Pioneer will still be in the audio/video business same time next year....

25. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Here's my question to SL1200 lovers, if it was reintroduced and priced at $1500 would you have the same love for it?

Octavian and Erocka2000 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.