Petition launched to reintroduce Technics turntables (Update: The SL-1200 is Back!)*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by englishbob, May 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AArchie

AArchie Forum Resident

I use a Mitchell clamp which is very low profile. I like it a lot. I had a threaded spindle from KAB on my Mk2 that I liked but the Mitchell trumps it for speed and ease.

wgb113 and luckybaer like this.
  2. tzh21y

tzh21y Forum Resident

i may have to try that Michell clamp

AArchie likes this.
  3. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

IMO it's the best option for the purpose of flattening out records for the 1200. It weighs very little, can have significant enough force applied to actually work, and is reasonably priced.

While it may not have the bling factor of some of the weighted clamps it performs much better.

Drewan77, ashiya and AArchie like this.
  4. ashiya

ashiya Forum Resident

Which version of the clamp works with a 1200? On ebay there are ones for rega or Michell turntables, or are they all actually the same?

5. AArchie

AArchie Forum Resident

I use the Rega clamp which is designed for shorter spindles. While I've read posts by some who use the regular clamp with their Mk2s I opted to follow Michell's suggestions regarding spindle length and clamp model. The Rega clamp doesn't use the washer at the spindle. I applied a narrow strip of 1 mm thick cork to the outer rim of my platter to basically accomplish the same thing as the spindle washer but from the outside in. Seems to work well.

ashiya likes this.
  6. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

The one designed for Rega.

I use a plastic 45 adapter (the flat plastic type) so accomplish the same thing as the washer. In order for it to work correctly on flattening warped records it's critical to have something under there. Bottom to top you end up with:

• Platter
    • Mat
    • Washer (or in the case of the Rega version something DIY)
    • Record
    • Clamp

ashiya likes this.
  7. ashiya

ashiya Forum Resident

Thanks for the replies, I'll get the Rega then and try out your sugestions for a washer substitute.

8. tzh21y

tzh21y Forum Resident

the magic combination: YMMV

I have tried many combinations but find this is the magic combination.

Technics 1200G:

Boston Audio - The Mat

Lyra Delos - 1.75 loading 100 ohm or 160 ohms (on Pass Labs XONO)

Acoustical Systems Arche Headshell - with smaller Lyra screws and Nylon washer/without good too. Technics stock arm sounds killer with this headshell and Delos. need to use heavier weight for tonearm supplied with G model.

Clearaudio Headshell cable set AC008 Pure Silver

VTA set at zero Antiskate around 1 gram.

MintLP Technics 1200 Stevenson alignment tool.

I am using no clamp or weight.

No need for outboard power supply

Very natural presentation. Wonderful. sound is sublime.

displayname, recstar24 and FashionBoy like this.
  9. tzh21y

tzh21y Forum Resident

Back to Ortofon LH 6000 Headshell. The Arche is too heavy on this table for the Delos. Such is the life of a crazy audiophile like me. lol

10. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

I have received a Yamamoto HS-3 headshell. It's only a little heavier than the stock headshell. Hopefully I can install an Audio Technica 740ML in it.

11. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Been living with it for a few days now, loving it!
    [​IMG]

56GoldTop, 5-String, OldSoul and 10 others like this.
  12. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

I mounted a 2M Black on a Ortofon LH2000, had to use the xtra weight. Then I found out that the factory G shell has adjustable azimuth and more robust connectors/wiring.
    I may order another factory shell.

bluemooze likes this.
  13. tzh21y

tzh21y Forum Resident

I am using the factory g shell with my Pickering esv-3000

bluemooze and Slick Willie like this.
  14. ashiya

ashiya Forum Resident

Out of interest, did you ever have your Lyra Delos on an old standard 1200 before you got your 1200G? As it's a far more expensive cart than what most people would recommend trying on a regular 1200, I was wondering whether a serious cartridge upgrade might be more worthwhile for me than upgrading the turntable. The best I've had on my old 1200 is a denon dl-301 ii.

15. tzh21y

tzh21y Forum Resident

Revision- Ortofon LH-6000 headshell, Funk Firm Mat, Lyra Delos tracking force 1.74 Ortofon Gauge. VTA as low as will go with Technics arm. LOL I'm never satisfied.

displayname likes this.
  16. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

The only difference between the clamps used to be a felt washer which is removable. Puzzled why they just don't sell the one model as clamp is identical.

17. AArchie

AArchie Forum Resident

I think the recess under the clamp is deeper with the regular version but I can't directly compare the two.

18. tzh21y

tzh21y Forum Resident

I did not use it on the original 1200.

ashiya likes this.
  19. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Random bump - would love to hear your thoughts on how the poly metal mat is working for you, as I’m considering it.

20. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

I like it a lot. I bought it mainly to add thickness so VTA could be addressed, and it is perfect for what I wanted (I needed about 2mm more in order to get the tonearm horizontal and not tail high). I don't think it changes the sound in any material way - at least my tin ears can't detect any changes.

The quality is excellent - edges are nicely rounded and smoothed. No burrs or sharp edges or poly material flaking off, etc. Recommended!

recstar24 likes this.
  21. Drewan77

Drewan77 Forum Resident

On this very thread, I had earlier vowed to avoid any more tweaks to my system, least of all a turntable (…."my SL1200G perfect as it is, blah blah"….) but here I am extolling the virtues of something I really thought would be totally unnecessary.

Auditioning potential new turntables for our California house, several weeks ago I visited a friend who was encouraged by my enthusiasm for the Technics & bought one himself - but was adding a KAB TD1000 fluid damper which he asked me to help install during a visit.

I must say I was quite sceptical as I saw absolutely no need for this thing but nevertheless we decided to play a few LPs, fit it & then revisit some of the same music. His system uses an Audio Note Oto Integrated & AN-E speakers so this was a good setup for evaluation, including various cartridges, both MM & MC.

It was slightly annoying that the damper trough covers the height markings for the adjustment ring but we solved that by using an indelible pen, with a small black dot below each 1-2-3-4 etc line so these can still be viewed from the side. We then filled the trough about 1/3 with the silicon fluid, fitted the paddle as instructed, readjusted VTF & VTA & left it at that. All in all - less than ten minutes after playing the previous LP so the sound was still fresh in our minds.

It almost grieves me to say this given my general cynicism for such things but the addition of the damper had a surprising and wholly positive impact on the sound.

Images noticeably developed a more refined 3D quality and even more lifelike imaging than without the damper. This wasn’t ‘slight, perhaps, maybe' etc, it was very clear on his system.

I suppose it is down to removal of some smearing of inner detail as the damper steadies the stylus during its travels. Slight rumble that we both assumed was part of the surface noise between tracks & in the dead wax all but vanished so this too must be having an impact - the stylus now only picking up actual groove modulations.

The other clincher for me was the effect on treble - it had a new sweetness and lack of glare which wasn’t there without the damper - music through this already excellent turntable really did become more enjoyable, mature & sophisticated sounding but without losing any of the drive & impact I really like.

So needless to say I ordered one myself which Kevin despatched promptly and I now have in the luggage ready for my imminent return to my UK system.

I am somewhat embarrassed for being so negative about this in the past but glad that I'm open minded enough to at least accept that I was wrong once I had actually listened. I just hope the effects on my own turntable are as positive as this was.... & that I can be objective!

22. luckybaer

Just yesterday, my KAB TD1000 fluid damper arrived, so I halted my listening and ignored my chores to install it. I'm not good at describing what I hear, but everything definitely sounded "cleaner." I did pay attention to surface noise before and after installation, and I noticed a lower sound floor - this made the purchase and installation worth it.

Perhaps it is my imagination, but playback seems quieter - I don't mean lack of superfluous and annoying noise. Rather, I mean I have to turn the volume up on my amp just a little to seemingly get the music as loud as it used to be prior to use of the fluid damper. Is that even possible? Perhaps I'm going crazy. I needed to adjust my subwoofer's volume up a little, as the bass produced after installation, although cleaner and tighter to my tin ears, seemed to be "quieter" overall. There is also A LOT better separation between instruments/sounds and more definition (the only way I can describe this is a lack of "fuzziness").

Physically, the damper makes movement of the tonearm much smoother when lifting the 'arm off a record, returning it to the start position, etc. I really like what I'm seeing and hearing from this "mod." It was very easy to install, and the audible and physical benefits were not subtle.

Apologies for a rambling post.

punkmusick likes this.
  23. hockman

hockman Forum Resident

Although I have no experience with this mod, what you describe makes sense. It appears that things are reproduced more accurately so the superfluous 'noise' is now reduced. As you say, the bass is now clearer and tighter and I suspect that any slight boom or overhang has been removed. It is entirely expected that now you can turn things up to higher level before fatigue sets in.

24. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    For 15mm tall carts, like Shure, the Klassic 2mm Spacer, which you can get off eBay, will level the cartridge using the stock 3mm mat when VTA is adjusted to Zero position.

luckybaer likes this.
  25. luckybaer

Yep. I installed a 2mm spacer recently. Works well!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.