Petition launched to reintroduce Technics turntables (Update: The SL-1200 is Back!)*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by englishbob, May 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Awesome. Do you mind taking a quick pic of where you put the shim?

2. AArchie

AArchie Forum Resident

I'd have to pull the DC which isn't easy where I have things but if you take yours off and look at the hinge spring, you'll see that the spring pushes against something to create the tension. The spring can be compressed and a shim inserted. It doesn't take much, maybe 1mm? If you look at yours and can't figure it out, let me know and I'll do the deed.

If you have help then one can compress the spring while the other stick in the shim. As I recall, the hinge couldn't be taken apart (or even off of the DC, otherwise I would have swapped hinges with my Mk2).

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  3. MikeK

MikeK Forum Resident

I’m patiently waiting for HifiHeaven to get more 1200 GRs in stock. I’m on the waiting list with a deposit down. They are still waiting to hear back from Technics as to when they can expect delivery.

In the meantime, I’m thinking about what cartridge I would like to use when I do get the new table. I’m currently using a 2M blue, but don’t think that cart will do the table justice. Any opinions on carts in the $400-$500 range that would work well with the 1200GR and my Lounge pre?

4. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

I started off with a 2m blue when I first received my gr in August and thought it was a great match. I upgraded to a KAB concorde pro s with 40 stylus and found it to be a very nice improvement. I’ve also been eyeing the AT vm740ml which by all accounts appears to also be a great match for the GR.

5. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Musician's Friend has a 17% off deal going now but a) they aren't available for delivery until early January, and b) they only seem to sell the 1210GR. For $1411, I'm happy with the black. Mine will be shipped by the end of December. I'll be using an AT VM540ML.

displayname likes this.
  6. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

Nagaoka MP-200/300 would be what I'd consider. Hana EH might be an option, but I'm not sure how well that would work with the Lounge. Grado would be another good pick if you like the Grado sound.

nosliw likes this.
  7. MikeK

MikeK Forum Resident

I was looking at the Hana. They have a high output version that I assume would work with my Lounge.

8. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

Under $1,000 moving magnet cartridge shootout ,11 cartridges reviewed! – Sound Advice Vinyl

recstar24, MikeK and displayname like this.
  9. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

I don't know the Lounge well enough to know for sure. The EH does load at 47K like a MM, but the output is only 2mV. That's well above the low output version, but it's still well below a lot of MM options.

10. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

displayname likes this.
  11. Davey

I haven't seen anyone else rate the LP Gear The Vessel R3SM at that level, so you have to take the listener and system into account, but it does cover a few of the MM cartridges tossed about around here a lot.

12. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Agreed. I was pondering the AT vm740ml and I’m almost sold...

13. Davey

Yea, it is a lot cheaper at under $300, I have a preference for the boron cantilevers so tend to gravitate toward those, which are getting more scarce every year now, one of the reasons I stay with Benz Micro, but some nice choices out there now. That boron cantilever with nude shibata stylus on the Vessel B3SS looks like a good combo, but that's a lot to drop on a relatively unknown MM cartridge.

recstar24 likes this.
  14. MikeK

MikeK Forum Resident

I’ll be honest I’m not very familiar with Nagaoka but the MP300 is very intriguing for a MM cart.

displayname likes this.
  15. oregonalex

oregonalex Forum Resident

The initial batch of GAE covers had apparently weak dust cover hinge springs. The first one I got did not stay up at all and would fall back down on the plinth. I got a replacement from the factory and while it sort of stayed up, it was still droopy and after about a year it was back to falling down. I got another replacement cover then that had stiffer springs and has been working fine ever since. On the 1200GR and 1200G that I got a year later the covers have worked fine from the start.

I suggest you contact you dealer for dust cover replacement.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  16. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Ahhh interesting! Yes, I emailed my dealer, hopefully will get a response soon.

17. oregonalex

Here is a short video of the problem cover in comparison with later properly functioning cover.
    http://khain.org/priv/lids.mp4

SamS, snorker and Slick Willie like this.
  18. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Whoa, that's my exact issue. I'll share that will my dealer, thanks!

19. AArchie

AArchie Forum Resident

They must have got the spring tension too light. I'm not sure it would be worth it for me to go through a dealer for a new cover since the shims I put in work perfectly and it's been over a year. Just know that if the dealer option doesn't work out, there is a simple fix.

oregonalex and SamS like this.
  20. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

My dealer responded that he’s checking with the Technics rep, so I’m crossing my fingers for a good solution :)

Slick Willie likes this.
  21. oregonalex

Can you snap a picture of what you did? Just in case the hinges wear out again at some point, it would be good to have a plan B.

22. AArchie

AArchie Forum Resident

I explained in an earlier post that taking my DC off where my TT sits isn't easy. It's pretty obvious where the shims go if you can take a look at yours. The shims go where there is no movement so they shouldn't wear. I doubt the factory spring tension will change with time either.

23. oregonalex

Thanks. I hope I will not need it, it has been holding now for over a year. The first replacement, however, did get progressively worse with time.

24. AArchie

AArchie Forum Resident

Darn.

My G's DC will stay up in almost any position. I like it this way since there is a shelf above it that keeps it from opening 100%.

25. AArchie

AArchie Forum Resident

While I didn't take off my DC, looking at the hinges, I remember that the shim goes at the bottom of the spring as it sits when installed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.