Petition launched to reintroduce Technics turntables (Update: The SL-1200 is Back!)*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by englishbob, May 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AArchie

AArchie Forum Resident

I just looked up a Sumiko HS and their azimuth adjustment sure looks nice. And it's accessible with the HS installed, unlike the Technics. Do you know how their weight compares to the Ortofon SH4? I use a couple of those but they are fairly heavy. I drilled holes in the top to lighten some. I might add that I use fairly heavy carts, 10.5 gms.

rebellovw likes this.
  2. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

I'm not sure the weight - but I do know the HS is on the heavy side - to run a DL103 which needs arm mass - it is recommended to use the HS along with the counter weight from what I recall. I have a Precept cart installed in it currently - that needs a heavy head shell in order to be able to set the VTF.

I just saw it on turntable needles for 65.00 - that is great compared with the 95.00 Technics.

This one is a Jelco though I always thought the Sumiko was a Jelco to begin with:

HS-12 Type AudioPhile Black Headshell

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  3. AArchie

AArchie Forum Resident

I might try one sometime. I still have my original G HS in its wrapper. I use one original Technics HS and 2 Ortofon SH-4s. I've got the 10gm aux weight installed on my arm for either.

rebellovw likes this.
  4. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

He has TPBGA003, so the GR style.

SamS likes this.
  5. oregonalex

oregonalex Forum Resident

Bummer. The G style looks better IMO. Thanks for investigating this. Has anyone tried to order from the encompass site posted above by @SamS ?

snorker likes this.
  6. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I did. I'll report back when (if!) it ships.

oregonalex and snorker like this.
  7. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

You ordered RFA3670? It looks like it’s backordered now until March...did you order when they were still showing availability, or are you just taking your chances?

8. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Yeah, shows backordered until March, so I guess I just need patience.

snorker likes this.
  9. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

How do they differ? I was under the impression they are the same.

10. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Longer finger lift on the GAE/G version, vs. the GR. I have a GAE, so I'm just weird like that - want it all to match/be correct.

Aftermath, Slick Willie and snorker like this.
  11. Kostas

Kostas Forum Resident

12. AArchie

AArchie Forum Resident

Thanks for that link. Do I want one ... you bet! :D Can I afford one ... sadly, no. :sigh:

13. Monsieur Gadbois

Monsieur Gadbois Senior Member

14. Davey

Davey NP: Melanie De Biasio ~ Blackened Cities (2016 LP)

Monsieur Gadbois likes this.
  15. Monsieur Gadbois

So if you order from them, there's probably a hefty duty fee plus shipping, right?

16. Davey

Davey NP: Melanie De Biasio ~ Blackened Cities (2016 LP)

Duty is hard to say, depends on where you live and how it's shipped and a host of other factors. Potentially, yes. Depending on the store, you can sometimes get the VAT removed from the price, but that's not guaranteed, and many stores won't ship new product to the US since it's not in their market. If one is in the US, first course is to talk seriously to some dealers indicating you are ready to buy, and get their best price, people on the board have reported buying the G in the US for around $3200.

17. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

On their site, it says that all delivery and import duties are included in the price when shipping to the US and many other countries.

18. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

When I was in the market for a G last year I got an offer of discount from a dealer in Cambridge MA, the G would cost me USD 3,500 taxes included. In the end I couldn't buy it unfortunately.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
  19. Monsieur Gadbois

Thanks, I found this from their site:

"Delivery duties are included in the item price when shipping to all EU countries plus USA, Canada, China, Australia, New Zealand, Israel, Puerto Rico, Switzerland, Singapore, Republic Of Korea, Kuwait, Mexico, Qatar, India, Norway, Saudi Arabia, Taiwan, Thailand, U.A.E., Japan, Brazil, Guernsey, Isle of Man, Jersey and San Marino. All import duties are included in your order – the price you see is the price you pay."

There is also a 10% promo code if you sign up, and they accept PayPal. Very tempting...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
    Aftermath and snorker like this.
  20. AArchie

AArchie Forum Resident

If I didn't have one ($3600) I'd be all over that deal!

21. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

Wow what a deal! If I didn't already have a 1210GR I would drive there this weekend and grab one

Aftermath and displayname like this.
  22. I would like to see a head-to-head comparison between a Pioneer PLX1000 and a Technics SL1200mk7. They still aren’t even in the same price range, but they are getting somewhat closer.

23. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

Dang! If I was shopping today I 100% would pull the trigger on this. That's less then I'd expect to see them used at this point. Still very happy with my Ultradeck, but I would have been all over this.

24. sethICE

sethICE Forum Resident

This seems like mostly a clothing website - is this for real?

Also, can a UK-market unit be used with 120V/60Hz US AC power?

oregonalex likes this.
  25. hockman

hockman Forum Resident

Very good deal indeed but yes, FarFetch looks like a fashion retailer. I'll be a bit hesitant in ordering from them. Anyone tried?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.