Petition launched to reintroduce Technics turntables (Update: The SL-1200 is Back!)*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by englishbob, May 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

Jup I think you're right.
    Nice necro btw; there's also a general thread on the SL-1200GAE/G/GR :p

2. AArchie

AArchie Forum Resident

I'm using a Herbies mat. I'm not sure I understand how there can be too much damping. In my mind, any vibration of the record would be noise. The stylus ought to ideally register only the groove perturbations and not vibration feedback from the LP. Anyway, I'm not even sure I hear a difference. I already used a center clamp and KAB arm damping.

As far as the 1200G additional weight specs are concerned, I don't have much, if any, worry. If anything, I'm putting extra wear on the bearing. I'll report back in 30 or 40 years! :winkgrin:

3. Davey

Davey NP: Melanie De Biasio ~ Blackened Cities (2016 LP)

Well, ideally I think you want to balance the damping with the forces involved to avoid absorbing too much energy from the cartridge output. My view as to the benefits of periphery rings and record weights may be different from yours. I think the advantage is the coupling of the vinyl to the platter without adding excess damping to assure the cartridge dynamics are maximized. I'd be inclined to try a thin foam mat instead of soft rubber to provide even support of the vinyl with minimal damping. Soft rubber mats absorb energy from the cartridge via the record surface, as well as from the platter.

But in the end, it's about whatever sounds best to you. It's a fairly complex mechanical dance, so no one answer suits all.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
  4. AArchie

AArchie Forum Resident

Are you suggesting that the damped record can sort of, suck response out of the stylus? That could be an interesting thought experiment.

I don't think I'm as sensitive to sound changes as many here. I believe in chasing down possible issues, but after a few big obvious ones, like getting a quite TT, it starts getting more "faith based" for me. I'd say that my ring did not hurt my sound in any way but I'd be hard pressed to describe any improvement. I continue to use it nonetheless.

5. Davey

Davey NP: Melanie De Biasio ~ Blackened Cities (2016 LP)

The purpose of a damping mat is to absorb energy. In this case, it is coming from the cartridge and/or the platter. It's not really my suggestion, that's what it is used for.

6. AArchie

AArchie Forum Resident

My reply was with respect to your statement, "... to avoid absorbing too much energy from the cartridge output. ..." I guess I don't understand what this means. I get how the mat absorbs energy from the platter and the LP. I'm not sure if this is related but is the sound the stylus makes directly off of the record dampable?

One thing I like about the peripheral clamp is that it sort of baselines how LPs sit on the mat. A lot of vinyl isn't really flat. More than edge warp, I see dishing. Using just a center clamp/weight, one side gets pressed into the mat while the other side lifts off of the mat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.