Petition launched to reintroduce Technics turntables (Update: The SL-1200 is Back!)*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by englishbob, May 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arem

arem Forum Resident

On the topic of Technics pricing, I present the following from an issue of the short-lived Scratch Magazine (which was aimed at DJ's and Turntablists) from Summer 2004. Compare the official MSRP, and the retail price offered by an equipment dealer. And I know firsthand that if you walked into a shop with cash money you could walk out with a brand-new table for less than that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Robert C, bluemooze and PhilBiker like this.
  2. DPM

DPM Senior Member

I am? Gee, no pressure there, AArchie. :sweating:

OK, the KAB mods I have on my SL-1200 MKII are the arm rewire, silicone fluid dampening trough, outboard power supply and heavy rubber mat. These mods, along with the inherit solid build quality of that table makes for some good music making. I've enjoyed that setup since late 2008. And truth be told, the sound of that setup isn't that far removed from the sound of the 1200G. After all, they do come from the same family DNA. Still, Technics has upped their game with these new tables. (It boggles my mind what their new SP-10 may bring to the table.) The proof is in the pudding, er.., ear.

Regarding my first impressions I posted above, I don't know what I'll be able to add. I can't really do a side-by-side comparison as the Stillpoints rack my Technics sits upon does have an influence on the sound. Still, the improvements I heard were the real deal, and in some cases, quite obvious. I was actually expecting something a bit less ear-catching. But as I stated above, the first few notes from Lisa Gerard's voice informed me that something was afoot. I just wasn't used to hearing her voice sound like THAT. Earthiness had been restored.

If I had to quantify/rank in some way the improvements I've heard (so far) I would consider the smoother midrange as the biggest one because it made its presence felt with vocals. The true texture/timbre of each voice was allowed to shine through. The better arm just seems to let more info out with less editorializing.

Next, I would rank the refined treble with its faster response time vis a vis initial attack (cymbal pings and crashes). Again, this has to be down to the magnesium arm. The Allan Holdsworth EP, Road Games, gained some kinetic energy--especially in the drums.

Finally, improvements in low level resolution--which the (KAB modded) SL-1200 MKII is no slouch at--would come in third. The various musical threads that dance along as the music flows were easier to follow with the 1200G. The increase in ambient information helped. The improved platter and plinth do make their mark. The new motor probably contributes to this too.

As of now, with just two albums of listening under my belt, I can't say I've heard an improvement in either pace/timing or bass performance. Again, the SL-1200 MKII is no slouch in these departments either, but who knows what further exposure to the all mighty G beast will bring. I'm really curious how our host's and Kevin Gray's mastering of ZZ Top/Tres Hombres is going to come across via this little monster. (Step aside, Gojira! There's a new G in town.)

Anyway, I hope I've helped. I can honestly say that the SL-1200G is a definite improvement on my (modded) SL-1200 MKII. And, FOR ME, the improvement is worth the $ outlay. I'm happy with the purchase. I'm glad I pulled that trigger. Of course, I can't make that judgement for anyone else.

AArchie, LarryP and recstar24 like this.
  3. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Can I say that you aren't going to hear all these turntables can do unless you invest in a really good phono stage with proper linear oversized power supply. More important than minor resistance and capacitance tweekibility.

4. AArchie

AArchie Forum Resident

This is really helpful! In addition to your mods I have a couple DIY tweaks to my table (shrink on tonearm, better isolation) plus KAB's strobe cancellation and another internal electronics mod, but let's face it, the G is really a ground up redesign. If Gs are really available for $3200, it's going to be hard to resist! :)

snorker likes this.
  5. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

SL-1200 are made for bass heads. There, I said it. I gave up my TD-125 for that bass. It was a mistake, but we live and learn.

6. Wngnt90

Wngnt90 Forum Resident

I have a chart that shows a price of $750.00 the year the 1200 mk2 was released.

PhilBiker and snorker like this.
  7. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

It was $350 when released in 1979. An ad shows it, can't find it now.

8. Wngnt90

Wngnt90 Forum Resident

9. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

$350 = $1,126.29 in today's money
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
  10. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

and the cool thing is before they went out of production they weren't all that expensive.. in other words, Panasonic hardly raised the price all those years, hence when I bought my brand new SL1200MK5 in 2007 for $425.00, I essentially got a $1200.00 turntable .. :) and so did a lot of us!! The 1200g looks to still be a nice upgrade! I may do it at some point ..... :)

snorker likes this.
  11. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

that table looks really nice. i am severley tempted.......

FashionBoy and PhilBiker like this.
  12. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Tonight I’m listening through my Schiit Asgard and Sennheiser HD600s for the first time with the GR, and I’m even more impressed than I was through my speakers, which are now the weak link in my chain. And now I’m tempted by the prospect of easily switching carts and looking at the 2M mono . . . .

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
  13. Gabe Walters

Everything I'm throwing at this turntable sounds just right. Allman Brothers Band, Live at Fillmore East (MOFI), is a monster. I can easily follow each guitar, the timing is perfect, and I couldn't be happier with this. Really think I made the right choice for me.

Robert C, LarryP, H8SLKC and 3 others like this.
  14. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

It was one of the big "pros" for me in going to the 1200GR - the ease with which I could swap a cart. The 2M Mono is pretty much a straight swap. There's some overlap in the tracking force range between it and the bronze but I'll usually take the one minute to adjust when I switch between them.

From mono Jazz to mono Beatles it's been a noticeable upgrade.

15. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

Ugh...been debating between the MoFi and the box set - any thoughts?

PhilBiker likes this.
  16. Gabe Walters

I haven’t heard the box set, so I can’t compare. The MOFI is nice and dynamic on this rig. It sounds really sweet.

17. AArchie

AArchie Forum Resident

18. AArchie

AArchie Forum Resident

Snorker,

I'd likely be interested in a 1200G at that price. Could you share contacts for those shops? Were the tables in stock? :)

PhilBiker likes this.
  19. AArchie

AArchie Forum Resident

This is from the KAB site: "...Obtained a new SL1200GR tonearm($625 retail). Beginning to evaluate for TD1200 damping system. Surprised to find that the GR arm is using the old tinplated wire - same as older MK2's. So rewire process will also be evaluated, since tin plated copper robs the sound stage of top octave detail."

He says the new GR arms are wired with the old MK2 wire. I wonder if this goes for the G as well? I find this rather surprising!

LarryP, PhilBiker and displayname like this.
  20. arem

arem Forum Resident

Kevn also tweeted earlier today that “The new GR arm assemblies WILL NOT fit in the older mk2 top plates. They are just slightly larger. Too Bad...”

21. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Is that a price of the wand only or complete assembly with armbase? Can you point in which section of the site this is mentioned?
    Does he mean the armbase is wider or the C bracket that goes into the armbase and is obviously wider?
    This [​IMG]
    or this (ignore the arrows)
    [​IMG]
    ?

22. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

I wonder with all this talk if it would be possible to upgrade to the tone arm on the G with upgraded wiring.

23. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

You buy the whole arm assembly. The G/GAE arm is more than twice as much at $1,313.60. Obviously it’s magnesium rather than aluminum, but I wonder what other differences there are? Better wiring?

24. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Good question. The G/GAE arm is much more expensive from the same source at $1,313.60. Here’s the GR arm for $601.79.

25. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Huh? That's many parts that must be (unnecessarily?) changed along with the wand. Also quite a difference in price between the two models.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.