Pharoah Sanders - RIP (1940 - 2022)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by octophone, Sep 24, 2022.

1. CaptainFeedback1

CaptainFeedback1 It's nothing personal.

I can't think of a more life-affirming piece of music than this - the whole of Elevation is just joyous. Absolute legend.

2. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

He was a constant in defining post-bop and appearing on all these "spiritual jazz" records after Coltrane. He added immensely to the body of music I now spend a lot of time exploring; he challenged listeners and his multi-phonic squawk is very distinctive. Great player-composer. That self-titled album, which had no traction when it was released (on India Navigation) is now pretty rare and hard to find.

3. 420JJJazz666

420JJJazz666 Hasta Siempre, Comandante

[​IMG]

Anybody else watch this stream a couple years ago?

Does anyone know if I can watch it again?

JerryBlue and Greenalishi like this.
  4. 420JJJazz666

5. YouCantWin

YouCantWin Lacking in Some Direction

I love this record and haven’t listened to it in too long. It’s going to the top of the stack for tonight.

6. PsychGuy

PsychGuy Forum Resident

Legend. Got to see him once, just before the pandemic. Played beautifully even though being on stage seemed a bit of a strain. RIP.

7. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

RIP Pharoah

8. 420JJJazz666

So I've just made a playlist of live and rare Pharoah Sanders performances...
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7krAR7O5kro1JaO615-kGRpu4zY6M8Lj

I've tried my best to find the best (most complete) sources, and weed out duplicates. Other than the first video, I have put these videos in chronological order (as far as I can tell).

It begins with a colorized upload of the classic 68 footage, and ends with a video of his final live performance.

I know that there is a gap from 2004-2013, I just haven't really finished filling that part in yet.
    I also plan on adding choice collaborations between Pharoah Sanders and Tisziji Munoz, who played guitar on the India Navigation album and had collaborated with Pharoah on numerous occasions afterwards (I recommend the Divine Radiance album [featuring Pharoah, Ravi, Rashied Ali, and Cecil McBee] to try his music).

Here is a sample of the kind of rarities we're talking, Pharoah Sanders performing In a Silent Way:

(the full broadcast this is excerpted from is in my playlist)

I have tried to avoid official releases, with a couple exceptions. I didn't put the 75 ORTF album on there because it's too easy to find! Same goes for the Night Music appearance and anything on the ESP early years set.

If you have any suggestions for this playlist, let me know, and please enjoy.

9. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

RIP one of the greats.

10. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

This are on rotation for tonight:
    THEMBI
    PTAH, THE EL DAOUD
    JOURNEY IN SATCHIDANANDA

ceddy10165 and Greenalishi like this.
  11. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

Just now saw this. I know he was not young but still, rough news to hear about. Going back a good 50 years, he is one of my favorites in jazz, and in all music for that matter. Very sad news.
    R.I.P the great Pharoah Sanders

ceddy10165, Bruso and Comet01 like this.
  12. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

The late, great Phyllis Hyman appeared on his 1978 album for Arista. Here's one of the tunes from the album:

Comet01 and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  13. I saw him do two shows at the Jazz Bakery in L.A. almost twenty years ago. He was a really down-to-earth person, and he graciously autographed my copy of Elevation and allowed my wife and me to take a picture with him.

14. linklinc1

linklinc1 Forum Resident

Thanks so much for compiling this & sharing!!
    He was just amazing!

I am currently listening to a live stream of a Yo La Tengo show on WFMU, but as soon as that is done I am going to freshen my (currently up & running) intake of Cannabis Sacrament & commune with that plant Spirit & the sonic vibrations of the Eternal Spirit of Pharoah Sanders (courtesy of your post & efforts).

420JJJazz666 and jwoverho like this.
  15. 420JJJazz666

[​IMG]
    My copy of Live at the East (signed at the Iridium late show 12/27/19)

16. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

Marvelous!
    That's such a fine album- on of my favorite Sander's LPs. When the mood hits me just right and I put that one on, nothing else can quite match it. An amazing record.

17. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

Rest in Peace, Pharoah Sanders.

Greenalishi and Brian Lux like this.
  18. Bruso

Bruso Designated survivor

[​IMG]

RIP Pharoah Sanders

Many Mansions

19. lothianlad

lothianlad Forum Resident

Sad news. So much great music.

Going to spin some of his stuff today particularly "thembi" and "promises"

Greenalishi likes this.
  20. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Such a body of work. I only enjoy about 5 of his recordings. But that says more about how large his catalogue is than my tastes.

RIP sir, you definitely went with your own drum. And that is what its about. Venture out even if everything doesnt always work or folks appreciate it. The cream will come to the top.

Greenalishi, Bruso and Comet01 like this.
  21. TripSide

TripSide Active Member

RIP .. The Great Pharaoh Sanders! Sad news to hear. Another passing of an era.

Been listening for years. Saw him live about 4 times - once at The Blackstone Theater in Chicago when we meet him and got his autograph, which he took his time doing - slowly drawing it. I get star struck I think so don't know what to say - until after the fact & then think of something. But he usually introduced his band members by saying "The Great" before their name. Really cool - Got many bootlegs trading back in the day that I love - from a guy in Poland - about 1997 - and getting these in the mail was a total happening for me - a gem a magical glowing diamond package type feeling about these. Maybe a spiritual connection too. Plus I have his almost complete catalog anyway & still crave more Pharoah!

Gotta play Harvest Time today from India Navigation. (Fall equinox. I play this every year)
    Gotta play Bedra -
    Gotta play Mansion Worlds -

Funny how when after dead - there is a greatness revealed.

22. Comet01

Comet01 Forum Resident

I *always* looked forward to Pharoah's band intros!

"On piano, THE GREAT William Henderson"
    "On bass, THE GREAT James Genus"
    "On drums, THE GREAT Idris Muhammad"

23. belyin

belyin Valid Where Prohibited

Does anyone here know the Spirits cd (Pharaoh with Adam Rudolph, and Hamid Drake)? I don't, but I just ordered a copy. Hamid is one my all time favorite musicians, and I know he had been playing with Pharaoh a fair bit in Europe over the past 20 years, but this is only recording together I could find.

420JJJazz666 likes this.
  24. grass-fed

grass-fed Forum Resident

:( Glad to have found him before he passed.

I have a feeling I'll be finding more and more of his music for years to come.

RIP

Greenalishi likes this.
  25. biggysteve

biggysteve Forum Resident

That is a beautiful album. Pharoah’s playing is serene, intense and phenomenal. The Thousand Petalled Lotus will blow you away.

420JJJazz666 likes this.