Phil Collins Album by Album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Talisman954

Talisman954 Forum Resident

Not to go off topic.
    Someone mentioned in the Genesis thread that Phil - The Other Sides has nothing but content from his 2 disc remasters according to what I just read
    Man With A Horn which was considered for Hello I Must Be Going. And For A Friend both of these are considered stand out songs and I can’t find them on my 2 disk remasters.

mark winstanley likes this.
  2. Talisman954

Talisman954 Forum Resident

Yeah I found that odd also but I’m no longer responding to his posts because every time I do I get banned.

3. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

That person was wrong. I don't have the new release, but as far as I understand, and correct me if I'm wrong, it has no overlap with the remasters, though some of it probably should've been on the remasters. "For a Friend", for example, is a great song and I was disappointed it was not on the Both Sides remaster.

4. Melllvar

Melllvar No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!

Phil performing in 'Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories':

Caught me by surprise when I was playing the game.

5. jawilshere

jawilshere Forum Resident

Love the single mix. Seems to have a little more muscle to it. Not released digitally was/is it?

6. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

I'm afraid I have no knowledge of what is on download and streaming... I'm sure somebody does.

7. jawilshere

jawilshere Forum Resident

Download or CD? Either would do.

8. Rigsby

Rigsby Forum Resident

That’s right it’s been specifically put together to mop up the tracks excluded for whatever reason from the deluxe editions, none of the tracks are included on the 2 disc reissues with the odd exception of the Do You Remember Demo which sounds like exactly the same version as far as I can tell

9. mark winstanley

There is a cd single available, but it has the album version and an extended version.

10. mark winstanley

I'm afraid it looks like all the compile are the album version also.
    Sorry

11. mark winstanley

In The Air Tonight - extended mix
    I wasn't even aware that there was an extended mix of this track. I assume this is the version on the cd single.
    I think the extra stuff, although quite nice, actually spoils the atmosphere of the song somewhat.
    I am not really sure it's the kind of song that suits this kind of styling, but in 1981 it was incredibly popular to add some beats and some noodling and make a song longer for the twelve inch singles, that had become incredibly popular. Though to me, it is hard to see someone dancing to this. I guess I could see this in a movie with some sleazy stuff going on, but as for listening to the song, I would stick with the album version myself.

This is the 7:38 version

This is a 10:00 version mixed by Stefan Linke.
    This manages to retain the atmosphere without the, to me, annoying accessories. We get a nice opening verse, with just the vocals and the keys, then the percussion comes in more like the original. Whether this is worth the effort or not, I guess I'll leave it up to those listening. I think this has some nice features, but like I say, it manages to retain the atmosphere that made the original so different and fresh at the time.
    I think the album version will always be my go to, but this is probably worth a listen for those that love the song.
    Phil Collins - In the Air Tonight (Extended Version) Mixed by S L

12. peterpyser

peterpyser Forum Resident

13. FACE OF BOE

FACE OF BOE Forum Resident

Two of my favourite things in one photo: Phil Collins and a poster of The Elephant Man movie on Phil's wall.

14. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

In The Air Tonight - Could anyone else but Phil Collins have an instantly recognizable drum break? Regardless of how I feel about the rest of Face Value, I really like this track.

15. mark winstanley

16. peterpyser

peterpyser Forum Resident

The 7:32 extended version (by Ben Liebrand) came out in 1988 on 12''/cd single only.

The 10:00 youtube link is just a homemade remix, and you can tell.

17. mark winstanley

Always appreciate the input you have for these mate.
    Thanks again

peterpyser likes this.
  18. peteham

peteham Senior Member

I first heard ‘In The Air Tonight’ in the summer of ‘81. I was playing catch with my friend Chuck in the park and he mentioned this great new song with these crazy drums. He must have mentioned Phil’s name because when I got home I noticed Face Value in my brother’s collection. I was still a full blown Beatle head, so I was piqued seeing Phil had covered ‘Tomorrow Never Knows’, but that’s where my memory stops until about four months later waiting in the car for my dad in the parking lot of a grocery store in the fall and hearing ‘No Reply At All’. I was then introduced to this new album called Abacab and my life forever changed. I then went back to Face Value, and by the following summer Phil was my absolute hero. I never really got Face Value in the big sense, until I got dumped in the summer of ‘99. This album that I loved for so many years was now an essential part of my being.

19. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

Here's the single mix:

As much as Ahmet Ertegun loves to rave about the song in interviews, he damn near destroyed its impact at the 11th hour. Phil played him the final mix that's now iconic, and Ertegun couldn't find the backbeat until the drums entered at the very end. Then he claimed it wouldn't be a hit unless "the kids" heard the drums earlier, so that extra backbeat was added to the single. (Literally! They had to overdub a drum track on top of the already completed master.) But DJs wound up gravitating to the original mix that maximized the impact of the drum break, so the album version became the eventual go-to (even though most of the singles in various countries contained the "extra drums" mix).

20. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

Just a confirmation that the "extra drums" mix was the "official" one at the time: It's the same version used in the original video, including the editing (mainly losing some instrumental passages at the beginning and fading early). There's also extra vocoder on the BG vocals at the end compared to the album cut.

21. rancher

rancher Unmade Bed

Well, I loved the Genesis thread, afraid I can’t contribute much to this one though ... just saw that Mike R joined Phil at a solo show for Follow You ...

ries and mark winstanley like this.
  22. rancher

rancher Unmade Bed

23. ries

ries Forum Resident

God, I remember requesting this song during a school party, never seen the dance floor get cleared so quickly! Never got asked to parties, wonder why!

Talisman954, LarsO, Melllvar and 2 others like this.
  24. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

I first heard Face Value as an album in about 1985 (going via an older mate who was a Genesis fan back to a cassette tape with FV/Hello, I Must Be Going on a side each). I liked No Jacket Required and Invisible Touch and so was working backwards through Genesis/Abacab/Duke and then the above 2 albums that year. My strongest memory of Face Value was studying 12 hours a day (or so it seemed) for exams in a very rainy October/November 1985 with these first two Phil Albums rotating on my stereo. Perfect study music and every time I hear Face Value - the stronger album - I think of that time.

25. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

Encouraged by this thread I played Face Value in full this morning on CD. It would be the first time in about a year. It still sounds like the great statement I remember.
    Then, I dragged out the DCC Gold version I bought on line a few months ago (unopened). Its like cracking out the champagne. I wanted a back to back with my 1987 CD. Well - the Hoffmann version sounds wonderful. Especially the separation between instruments and tone -particularly highlighted on The Roof Is Leaking/Droned/Hand in Hand. If you get a chance to pick one of these up - don't miss it.