Phil Collins Album by Album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Figure of Eight

Figure of Eight Forum Resident

Regarding Jonathan King, for a while he was seen as a major player in music, but by the beginning of the 21st Century he'd made... uh... quite a different name for himself, I think is the way to put it. His name is basically tarnished now.

2. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

I guess it had to happen.
    I finally saw the movie after the Genesis thread. The Phil Collins references were a lot less substantial than I was led to believe. My wife said there are more in the book, I think.

3. Figure of Eight

Figure of Eight Forum Resident

It's a tediously well-worn trope in terms of Collins' music, unfortunately.

4. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

I like Droned, even if it's a bit off the wall kind of instrumental. I don't love it though, it could use a little shake up and some changes, but then it wouldn't drone so much.

mark winstanley likes this.
  5. mark winstanley

Hand In Hand
    We start with the remnants of percussion from Droned, and ever so gently the melody of Hand In Hand slides into the picture. I always loved the melody of this track.
    The drums lead us into the main theme, and we have a small choir singing the melody. The drums have a hesitant start stop arrangement at the very beginning, and then we burst into what musically would be the verse.
    The verse section is very smooth and I really like the horn arrangements.
    There are some pretty cool subtle restructures of the beat and feel during the course of the song too.
    I have always liked this track. It has something joyous about it, and in the suite set up, it works almost as a resolve to the sadness and despair that we have witnessed during the first two tracks.
    As many have said it ends up being most people's high point for the album.

6. mark winstanley

As was pointed out by several folks, this works as a suite. So for those unfamiliar, and those just wanting to revisit, here is the complete three songs as they are on the album.

7. mark winstanley

Tomorrow I won't be posting any songs.
    I want to try something a little new on Sunday mornings. I am going to try a thread "Surrounded on Sunday" where I look at some surround sound albums.
    I suppose it's a little selfish, but I rarely get time to sit and listen to my 5.1 albums, and Sunday morning is my spare couple of hours to do so.
    I figure that it would be nice to try and communicate what any given 5.1/Quad album's mix is like for those apprehensive of what they may be getting with these types of albums.
    I'm not sure if it will be at all successful, nor if there will be any interest, but I like to take a punt every now and again.

If there ends up being any interest, I'll keep doing that on Sunday mornings. In a lot of ways that will probably be good for some folks who have gotten behind on the thread, giving them a chance to catch up without more stuff being compounded.

Anyhow, I hope that isn't going to annoy anybody. I certainly haven't lost interest in the thread. Like I say, I just want to try something to add a little variety to my schedule.

Cheers guys

8. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

Hand in Hand is very good and the best part of the suite. It finally gives some life to the second half of side one, and Phil gets to show off his drumming a bit more.

9. Blame The Machines

Blame The Machines Forum Resident

Hand In Hand

This is a brilliant jazz pop Afrobeat instrumental. The horn arrangement on this are great; the choir are near perfect; and the druming is excellent. If Paul Simon had come up with this, the same hipsters who are happy to bash Phil Collins would be singing this track's praises.

4.5/5

enro99, ippudo, Lance LaSalle and 4 others like this.
  10. mark winstanley

Very nice point

11. The_Windmill

The_Windmill Forum Resident

The drumming is spectacular. Infectiously uplifting.

12. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

13. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

Love Hand In Hand. Brilliant piece to end a great trilogy on side 1. I could listen to an extended version of this for a significant period. I wish there was an early live album of Phil solo released. My reasons for “earlier” will be stated later in the thread. Are we going to look at significant solo excursions at all (e.g the movie tracks, duets and producing )?

14. mark winstanley

I will try and cover all the songs and such, and certainly look at some of the production work.

By the same token, if I miss anything significant, please, all of you, feel free to step in and add the information. Or if you aren't comfortable doing that, please alert me, so I can check it out, and/or report it in the thread.

I try and be thorough, but with someone like Phil it could get difficult, because he was just everywhere, doing everything .... maybe I need to hire a P.I. :)

Scatterling of Africa likes this.
  15. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

Agreed he was everywhere. I am by no means an expert but will throw up what I recall.

16. Rigsby

Rigsby Forum Resident

Hand in Hand is one of my favourite instrumental tracks period, the drumming is really playful and just takes the track to another place and with the great horn section keeping things moving, by the time the key change comes along you’re almost out of breath. Just sublime.

17. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

There are. A whole chapter is dedicated to analyzing the music of Genesis and Phil's first three solo records.

Back on topic :)

The_Windmill and mark winstanley like this.
  18. mark winstanley

It's actually a really interesting movie, and the subtext is very good. It isn't really about Christian Bales character at all. Maybe I'm getting old, but hack and slash really doesn't do much for me, but that movie had some rather pointed commentaries on society. The book may be worth a read if it is the same kind of behavioral study

enro99, Lance LaSalle and LeBon Bush like this.
  19. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

Well, at first I found the movie just hilarious. But with every watch, it became clearer to me what a sad, alarming state of society this movie actually shows. All the hedonism and apathy are fascinating and frightening at the same time. The book is much, MUCH more violent (it was banned for years in germany) but it also shows us more facettes of Patrick Bateman and offers a slightly more detailed background on his adolescence. If you're into that kind of stuff, I can wholeheartedly recommend Less Than Zero and Rules of Attraction by the same author (both were also turned into movies, like American Psycho). Those novels share some of the characters and ideas on society in general.

20. The_Windmill

Now I know where the gibberish bit before Throwing It All Away comes from!

21. The_Windmill

I've read it but I don't remember much details.
    But overall, it's exactly that, as I experienced it. Much deeper then a movie can go.

22. squonkduke

squonkduke Forum Resident

Hand In Hand demo version.

23. The_Windmill

Interestingly enough, there's no horns part at all, not even simulated.
    I wonder if it came out of improv sessions in the studio

24. squonkduke

squonkduke Forum Resident

Yes, i understand the pawn hearts.... i mean, the horn parts here were mostly improvised
    :)

25. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Well, I've bought a copy of Face Value today.

A couple of listens and hopefully I'll be able to join in!