Phil Collins suffering from health problems, can 'barely hold' drum sticks

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by vinyl diehard, Sep 10, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trader Joe

Trader Joe Forum Resident

I saw a recent photo of him in a wheelchair.

Can he walk on his own?

Is he a paraplegic now?

2. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

Genesis On BBC Breakfast
    September 9,2021

Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
    tug_of_war likes this.
  3. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

and just five years ago, same show speaking about his health issues

Phil Collins on BBC Breakfast
    January 2016

tug_of_war likes this.
  4. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Poor Phil but gotta give him credit for going out there and giving it his all.

5. bobgeorge

bobgeorge Forum Resident

During the “We Can’t Dance Tour” 1992 ( almost 30 years ago, Phil 40 years old), Phil needed “medication” for his voice to perform.

Now, 30 years later his health declined in such a way, due to various reasons, i cant imagne Phil to sing songs that requires intense power from your voice, as some songs have to be brought. In front of a packed arena/stadium. I also detected he actually cant keep up with the tempo. Its seems delayed.

First the UK, then the US. Europe will certainly follow next year. Nor being pessimistic, but realistic, i expect cancellations on booked dates. A rehearsal, is a totally different cup of tea, than the actual performance with 20.000 - 50.000 faces looking at you.

Its the same as Elvis Presley in his last years of performing. Isn’t there really anybody to speak up and say, this cant go on, and needs to be stopped. Immediately. But as usual and said before, they are too far with all the investments done, its too late to call it off. Do not expect the most positive reviews in newspapers and such. And that is not what Phil Collins deserves. Ending a remarkable career, sitting on a chair, with a voice that actually cant deliver. The tour from 2007 should have been the last Genesis tour.

tug_of_war, dunkoid, Sluggy and 3 others like this.
  6. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Eddie Trunk, he da man! (He really does say that frequently)

7. dockofthebay

dockofthebay Forum Resident

Get a grip.

Phil isn't an oblivious Brian Wilson, being endlessly wheeled out in a desperate cash grab by people taking advantage of him.

While this is 100% being done for cash, Phil is fully cognisant of what he is doing, as well as his physical limitations.

Not that you seem to be aware, but he just toured for 2 years straight, with a handful of early cancellations due to an accident.

People attending were aware of his limitations and as far as I'm aware, those who did go gave favourable reviews - I certainly did - as opposed to those who speculated from the sidelines.

tug_of_war likes this.
  8. bobgeorge

bobgeorge Forum Resident

A two year tour (Not Dead Yet). Yes, but with a pause of several months between the visits of certain continents. And no more than approx. 17 concerts per continent. 97 concerts during a 28 month tour is 3.5 concerts per month.

Its sometimes hard to accept reality. Thst is the case with PC present day. Going on too long can be an ugly stain on your career.

9. souldeep69

souldeep69 Forum Resident

On a positive note, Phil remembers all the lyrics. I watched very carefully to see if maybe he was following a teleprompter. No way. His head was moving all around with the emotion of his singing, he often closed his eyes on the intensely emotional parts - his eyes were never pointed in one direction for more than a second. So, if nothing else, he's not senile. He remembers all the lyrics and some of those songs have lots of lyrics, and he's feeling them and understanding them.
    Phil is not confined to a wheelchair. He has ankle and leg injuries but can walk with crutches. It's just painful to do it for too long. I recently broke my ankle and can sympathize.
    IMHO, he sounded better every day. He's not what he was but most of us aren't what we were either. It's still his voice and his style and I wouldn't want anyone else doing it. I'd love to see them on this final tour if all the circumstances and financial conditions come together nicely.
    It takes guts to do what he's doing. Try to think back to the last time you were on stage in front of 20,000 people or so, night after night, and had to give your all every moment, every time. You can of course stand in judgement of others who do that, because you know exactly what it's like.

10. Pim

Pim Forum Resident

The difference is unbelievable. This fragment from five years ago is still the old Phil. Maybe not drumming, a bit older, but still very much the same guy. Heartbreaking.

11. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever Thread Starter

If Collins had to tape his drumsticks to his hands, then probably.

12. vinyl diehard

That's not what he said in the interview I read. He literally can't hold the stick in one hand.

13. dockofthebay

Fantastic Wikipedia research there.

14. Zardok

Zardok Forum Resident

I have an idea which might be original, I don't know if its been tried before.

Why don't those who want to see Phil Collins and Genesis go to the concerts and those who don't want to see them give it a miss? Because none of you is going to convince anyone to change their mind however much "objective" evidence is furnished.

15. vinyl diehard

Someone is bored at home.

16. bobgeorge

bobgeorge Forum Resident

Thats whats the internet for. It helped me to prove that Phil was on tour for 2.5 years with months of not performing in between. You did try to make it look like he performed every month. You should have used Wikipedia first, instead of saying something without checking if first.

Try better next time.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  17. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    :cry::cry::cry:

Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
  18. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

I heard he doesn't care anymore.

19. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

He can walk with a cane.

20. dockofthebay

Isn’t there really anybody to speak up and say, this cant go on, and needs to be stopped. Immediately.

21. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I think we need to steer clear of medical diagnosis. At the end of the day, if the fans know what they're getting and they still want to see Genesis, then that's okay. Phil is probably desperate to continue until the very end because this was his life, and he's going to be forced to retire forevermore because of physical issues. That's sad on its own, without the rest of the story.

Still, for all the excitement of a gig and performance, the interviews etc. have given us a glimpse behind the curtain, and it all looks tragic. Phil's heart and soul is into the tour, but the well is running dry. Does it matter that he can't drum? No. Does it matter that he can't stand all show? No. What trips me up is that I see those interviews and not only does he appear to not be able to perform at any reasonable level, but the entire thing looks physically painful for him. I don't want great artists suffering in this way for the entertainment of fans. I know letting go is tough, but ultimately none of us get off this planet alive.

I'd like to think of Phil being somewhere comfortable and at peace. His session work alone is a fantastic professional legacy.

22. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

If you

I agree about Elvis, although only 42, Elvis could really still sing and hit the notes when he wanted to. If Elvis could have just stayed in "Aloha From Hawaii" shape throughout the 70's, we would look at that late period in such a different way.

23. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

Because he's already done a solo tour where he didn't play. This has been knowledge for 10 years

24. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

I know the money may not be there, however, I would rather see a "Celebration of Genesis" type show maybe in a very few specific venues (MSG, Hollywood Bowl, 02 arena or what ever its called now). Phil could do a few tunes from his chair, then others could make guest appearances (Hackett, Wilson, Gabriel, Chester, etc) then call it a day. This would be a good Blue Ray, album and streaming release and a way to go out in style. The bulk of the music could be from the "3 member era".

Vaughan likes this.
  25. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

On the 2010 solo doc where Collins taped sticks to his hand, Phil did not actually record complete songs. Just basic beats, fills, crashes for a number of songs. Most of those beats were spliced and arranged in Protools to construct the drum track. Actually, that is even done with "healthy drummers" in the studio anyway if sampled drums are not being used.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.