phil smee's freakbeat top 50

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by godstar, Aug 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

"Things She Says" by The In Crowd is probably one of my favorite bits of freakbeat ever :love:

2. bowling-name

bowling-name Forum Resident

Increasing specificity of sub-genres is amusing...

Would John's Children or the Electric Prunes be considered Freakbeat or Garage, or something else entirely?

3. child of nature

child of nature dreaming, more or less

I would consider John's Children freakbeat with psych tendencies, as they were British. The Electric Prunes are garage/psych since they were a US band.

I thought Phil Smee's term "freakbeat" was certainly apropos--it's freaked-out beat music often created by guys hopped up on Purple Hearts. :)

4. ChrisM

ChrisM Reclusive Enabler

Yes... like the beat groups were trying to transition into the psychedelic mode.

Cheers,
    Chris

5. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

6. child of nature

child of nature dreaming, more or less

Just bumping this thread up a bit--I was thinking about it as I was making an iPod playlist. I sort of "DJ" between the sets of my friends' band at our local gastropub, and I have compiled a playlist of the best freakbeat tracks in my collection. The band covers all eras of British rock, and I've been helping them expand their set lists. :thumbsup: I think they want to tackle some of these tracks, which should be great. !Eek! I'm a...Freak! :)

7. asomedayfool

asomedayfool New Member

Great thread!

easybeats "going out of my mind"
    The motions "everything (that's mine)
    The Montanas "that's when happiness began"

Some awesome tunes that i would like to add!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.