Phish: What Are You Listening To?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by B-Mike, Jul 27, 2015.

1. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Gotta make it to Starbucks tomorrow for internets. Then i can update you :D

posnera likes this.
  2. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Definitely. They're a jam band but instead of being indebted to the Dead, that part is devoted to Rush, VH, Metallica, etc. They're a really amazing mix of influences, which is why I did their shows so much. And they come up with great stuff like "Plunger"...and I like a lot of the stuff on their last couple records, they just don't have the songs the way the Dead or Phish (or Rush) did. I mean, Phish was never going to have a radio hit, but I certainly think they had several songs catchy enough to have been in a more just world...Umphrey's is never gonna have a "Julius" or "Free" or "Bouncing"...which is okay! It's just a thing that keeps them from moving up into my upper echelon of favorite artists.

The last show they played here was heavy. Like, some of it bordered on metal, Animals Is Leaders-type stuff, and it was absolutely face-melting.

Billy_Sunday and Lownote30 like this.
  3. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

After a recommendation I'm just finished listening to Reba from 5.16.95... I've had this for years from the WENT FM broadcast and had kind of forgotten how great it is. It also represents my biggest Phish "regret"... I lived 10 minutes from the Lowell Memorial Auditorium and had the chance to hit this show, but I didn't know the band that well yet and ended up not going (of course). Yes, that was a big mistake.

Now listening to the Hood from the end of this FM broadcast, with the Linus & Lucy tease.

Billy_Sunday, Cassius, adamos and 2 others like this.
  4. musicarus

musicarus Forum Resident

As you can still listen, you have pulled back the curtain, so please, have no regrets.

adamos and johnnypaddock like this.
  5. musicarus

musicarus Forum Resident

Interesting The Curtain With has the IV-V section as in Reba/Inca Roads. One wonders about the course of events/experiences that resulted in those compositions.

6. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

1994.11.25 - UIC Pavilion, Chicago, IL

II: 2001 >
    Mike's >
    Simple >
    Harpua >
    Weekapaug >
    Mango >
    Purple Rain >
    HYHU
    Antelope

:bigeek:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
  7. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

If I'd become a fan a bit sooner, I could have seen them at Newport Music Hall in April 93 where they recorded the jam from "Demand" on Hoist.

8. warewolf95

Why all the hate everywhere for Time Turns Elastic?

I heard it for the first time the other night and thought it was sick. Felt like it was their Terrapin or something.

I was shocked when I went online and saw seemingly everyone hates it.

How do they put up with other lengthy stuff but this awesome song is blasted?!

jay.dee likes this.
  9. JayB

JayB Senior Member

If you're just getting into Phish listen to 6/18/94 right now.

Cassius likes this.
  10. JayB

JayB Senior Member

The other show in this box is even better IMO.

Thanks for the reminder..haven't listened to this in a while.

Crispy Rob and johnnypaddock like this.
  11. mdphunk

mdphunk Sharing in the groove

It's a great composition. A lot of people have issues with Trey's lyrics...he tends to write kind of sappy, hippy-dippy stuff, particularly since he's been in recovery. Let Me Lie is another song from that era that people kind of cringe at when they hear.

The other issue is that they played it a LOT in 2009, and it took up a lot of space in the setlist for a song that is the same every time. The joke at the time was that when you saw Trey change guitars (he played TTE in a different tuning) it was your sign to run to the bathroom to beat the rush.

warewolf95 likes this.
  12. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

No hate from me for that song. That and Petrichor are the two best Trey compositions in years. Still, though, his earlier compositions in that style are much more complex. Saying that, Time Turns Elastic is literally the only song I like from Joy.

Crispy Rob and warewolf95 like this.
  13. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Incredibly... 12.30.93 is even better.

Of course, 12.30 is almost always the best show of the run...

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  14. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Petrichor is better than TTCraptastic... but that isn't saying that much either.

Let Me Lie I have a soft spot for after hearing 11.1.09 (the acoustic set).

15. warewolf95

Everyone also seemingly hates Joy. Is it just subpar material?....

16. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

As a long time Phish fan, other than Time Turns Elastic, the rest of Joy is incredibly subpar. It's my least enjoyable Phish album next to Farmhouse.

warewolf95 likes this.
  17. warewolf95

Anyone knowing Trey is a Genesis fan? Cuz The Squirming Coil sounds a lot like Firth of Fifth and Dancing With the Moonlit Knight.

seaisletim likes this.
  18. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I actually think "Joy" is underrated... or at least it's better than "Big Boat" and at least on par with "Fuego" (IMHO).

People are burnt out on "Number Line" ... but like "Bouncin"... it's not Phish's fault it became semi-popular. It's a good tune. "Sugar Shack" is a great song that never hit its potential live. "Ocelot" is another good song. "Kill Devil Falls" can rip live... and "Light" is a monster live (although like "Piper" ... I don't think its much of a studio song).

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
  19. Sydster

Sydster Forum Resident

A few handpicked “best ever” versions that I’ve been enjoying in a playlist this week:

Bathtub Gin 11/7/96 (aka “The Rupp Gin”)
    Tweezer 12/2/95
    Reba 5/16/95
    Mike’s Song 12/1/95
    Weekapaug 12/31/95
    Harry Hood 11/12/94
    Run Like an Antelope 10/24/95
    Llama 12/29/92 (never heard Trey shred harder than the solo in this version)
    You Enjoy Myself 12/9/95
    Bowie 12/29/94
    Taste 7/22/97
    Tweezer->Izabella->Twist->Piper 12/6/97
    Chalk Dust Torture 7/10/99
    Ghost 5/22/00
    AC/DC Bag->Slave Hampton 97
    The Divided Sky 11/27/92
    Squirming Coil->Jam 5/8/93
    Runaway Jim 7/18/99
    Mike’s Groove 12/7/95
    Bathtub Gin 7/29/98

20. Sydster

Sydster Forum Resident

adamos, Crispy Rob, B-Mike and 3 others like this.
  21. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

22. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I liked Joy just fine, and loved Fuego. But I always liked "poppy" Phish songs. The fact that the same band could do "Number Line" and "Elastic," on the same record, even, is why I loved them in the first place.

Big Boat
    I still can't get into, unfortunately.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  23. JimSmiley

JimSmiley Team Blue Note

24. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Considering Phish inducted Genesis into the RRHOF... I'm thinking Trey is probably down with Gabriel Genesis. ;)

I think "Waiting all Night" is a perfect studio creation. Poppy? Yes... but I love it.

25. warewolf95

Well there's my answer right there folks! :D