Phish: What Are You Listening To?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by B-Mike, Jul 27, 2015.

1. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Further approaching the 2009 finish line, we begin tonight with 12/28/09, Miami, FL

To start, things feel back down a "level" from the 12/5 show in Charlottesville.

That means hot but not "OMGTHISISEXPLOSIVEENERGYHOLYCOW", jah feel?

That being said a nice-but-ordinary Sample In a Jar opens up with a "now this is what I was expecting" NICU to follow.

NICU almost gets really hot. It's good stuff.

The first surprise is the 3.0 debut of My Soul that comes next. I will admit that I love this song - it's just simple and fun and catchy. Sometimes that's a bad thing but for some reason I dig this song a lot. Great to hear!!!

2. warewolf95

12/28/09

Ok, My Soul had it CRANKIN'!!! The guys were really going all-in on that.

Following it up with a really mellow Roggae had me thinking this set was going to be "chill" after all.

I like my Phish HOT (don't we all?)

Roggae is gorgeous though and even if the song portion isn't perfect the jam is just exceptional - swiftly bookmarked by yours truly!

:)

3. warewolf95

12/28/09

Nearing the end of a very mixed set 1 with the worst Broken Heart of the year - easily.

Shame - it's very possibly my favorite new song of the year! Yea it's technically a Page solo track but gosh darnit it's fantastic either way! I ALWAYS look forward to it!
    Trey just butchers this one :/

That being said, as a whole, this will be a grab-the-highlights and run set. The energy was set to "chill" throughout and most of the songs (bar the jams) were just of the "serviceable" quality level.

My highlights from set 1:

My Soul (the hottest thing of the set - it RAGES!)
    Roggae (the song part is "meh" but the jam is sublime!!!)
    Stash (see Roggae)
    Undermind

:)

4. warewolf95

Finishing set 1 of 12 28 09

We get officially the chillest Possum ever played.

Yes, I said "chillest Possum ever played", you heard me right!

Actually, I like to imagine if the Grateful Dead played Possum in 1974, this is what it would maybe sound like - let's put it like that.

It's actually very enjoyable but it's incredibly weird to hear a version that isn't just rip-roaring-rocking, ya know?

5. If the price is right, rubbing alcohol will de-goo the whole thing in a jiffy.

GuidedByJonO))) and warewolf95 like this.
  6. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Unless it's eaten through to the non-label side of the CD.

GuidedByJonO))) and warewolf95 like this.
  7. CowboyBob

CowboyBob Forum Resident

Have a chance to see Trey solo next week. Anyone comment on this latest solo tour? It’s in my hometown, so I really shouldn’t miss it. Just don’t know what to expect...

Erik B. and warewolf95 like this.
  8. Monroro

Monroro Forum Resident

Speaking of snowstorms, when I was in college in Boulder a bunch of us drove out to Omaha NE through a huge blizzard for a single night of Phish before turning back the next day. There was an inch of ice covering the highway and there were turned over tractor trailer trucks everywhere. Finally got to the show right as the first set was ending. Second set was a rager. Fun adventure overall.

Crispy Rob and warewolf95 like this.
  9. warewolf95

I can't speak one way or the other but check the previous few pages - some people attended and commented on shows :)

10. warewolf95

12/28/09 Miami

Just finishing up set 2

A very enjoyable show but also one of the most inconsistent ones I've ever heard.

For reference, I'm making a 2009 Best of list - if a show is not best-of-year material, I only end up listing highlights instead of the entire show.

Normally there might be 3 or 4 standout highlights for a non-best-of-year show.

This show has basically 1/2 or 2/3 of it in my highlights list, because the jams were sick but the energy level is pretty low for set 1 and a lot of the actual song renditions aren't up to snuff.

Very, very unusual. Almost every song it felt like they would start rough and then the jam would mosey on in and slay everyone's mind.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  11. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

My college band had a gig somewhere in or near Cleveland the same night Phish played there December 95, and on the way back our car went off the road in a snowstorm. Fortunately no one was hurt.

Monroro, budwhite and warewolf95 like this.
  12. warewolf95

Can anyone tell my the reason most - but not all - shows are webcast?

Is it to do with venue permits or something?

Or they just dont want every single show out there?

13. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

I don't know the complete answer to this, but I have heard that some venues don't have the technical capabilities / bandwidth.

wavethatflag and warewolf95 like this.
  14. zakyfarms

A couple shows are available on livephish.com

warewolf95 likes this.
  15. warewolf95

Thats basically what I figured as well.

Huh.

16. zakyfarms

In the early days of Phish webcasts it seemed like they wouldn't announce any webcast until the show was sold out, but I don't think that's still in effect.

warewolf95 likes this.
  17. zakyfarms

warewolf95 likes this.
  18. warewolf95

19. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

Actually the goo attacks the label side dissolving its silver surface, i.e. the half not covered by a (goo-resistant) colour imprint. And by destroying this opaque background surface (for the playing side) it lets the light, and thus the laser ray, come through unreflected.

In certain cases one may try to salvage a rotten disc by restoring the reflecting background, i.e. covering the transparent ("eaten") spots with an opaque paint/ink/sticker.

warewolf95 likes this.
  20. warewolf95

3 to go

12/29/09 Miami, FL

From the start the energy level - while not being blazing - is definitely up from the previous show's sleepy encounter.

It's always a good sign when the show begins with an almost literal bang with a rocking Golgi>Maze that has the feet tapping immediately.

I'm sitting here in starbucks nodding away looking like an idiot. Thanks Phish. :D

adamos, Erik B. and Crispy Rob like this.
  21. warewolf95

12/29/09

HOLY CRAP CHECK OUT THIS MAZE!!!!

The goods start around 4 or 5 minutes when Trey breaks out about a 20 second long sustained feedback that just destroys, and then the jam lifts off from there.

Things turn into a cousin of the "Guyuute Swirl" for another few minutes and the song becomes the literal interpretation of the title - this jam is a swirling maze!

WOW!

adamos and Crispy Rob like this.
  22. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

That's one of his Trey'dmarks.

23. warewolf95

12/29/09

Unfortunately, after that destroyer-of-worlds Maze, Driver comes and dashes any hopes we might've had of this set being a "hot" one vs a "chill" one.

That's not bad - a finely played chill set is cool. :)

A rare The Connection follows and then, again, a super-chill Wolfman follows that.

Normally Wolfman has been a RAGER in 2009 (MVP of Summer leg 1, for reals), so it's interesting to get one that just floats on down the river enjoying the scenery.

Very nice. No rushing, no pressure. Just a good time. :)

24. warewolf95

Dude, it was like that Camden 2000 Chalkdust (ok not really but you get the idea) :)

wavethatflag likes this.
  25. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

He needs to whip out "The Landlady" more, where Santana-like sustain is part and parcel of the song.

I'm wearing my 7 dollar Curveball "floating orbs" shirt today. Why? Because I'm cool. :righton:

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
    adamos, Erik B. and warewolf95 like this.