Phish: What Are You Listening To?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by B-Mike, Jul 27, 2015.

1. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Jam-Filled. More like Long Boy, amirite? Very interesting show about 40 minutes (and one and a half songs) in.

Mike Dow, adamos, JayB and 2 others like this.
  2. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

I'm gonna be iced-in tonight and tomorrow - I'm actually downloading the webcast to watch tonight :D

Crispy Rob likes this.
  3. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

Saw it last night. Spontaneous and not planned but made it to the show anyways . It was a lot better than expected but the show was only like an hour and forty five minutes long. He also shared some really funny stories.

Worth it to me to take a side trip on my way to my friends house. Tonight I’ll be seeing the CRB

adamos, Crispy Rob and warewolf95 like this.
  4. warewolf95

Per the request of someone on another forum/blog, here's some art for anyone wanting to make a compilation of the 2009-2018 non-album songs.

Another stolen cut and paste edit job but it looks good to me! :)

[​IMG]

Mike Dow and Erik B. like this.
  5. warewolf95

Slight variation for those who dislike titles :)

[​IMG]

6. warewolf95

12/29/09

Caspian>Jibboo>WILSON>Jibboo>Heavy Things

....huh?!?!

Crispy Rob likes this.
  7. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

I spent several hours over the summer de-gooing all 20 shows of the Live Phish series with a 50/50 isopropyl/water mix. It worked beautifully. It feels good to finally have all of those discs free of the goo-balls gunking them up. Should have done it years ago.

adamos, Erik B., Crispy Rob and 2 others like this.
  8. macdaddysinfo

macdaddysinfo Forum Resident

9. warewolf95

12 30 09

2 to go....

35 minutes in and this show is not doing anything for me.

First off, the energy is STILL low.

Second, look at this weird-ass setlist - what is this?!

Soul Shakedown Party
    Jesus Just Left Chicago
    Dixie Cannonball
    Corinna
    Whats the Use
    TELA (!!!)
    Gone
    Rocky Top
    Lifeboy
    Head Up>Love You

Its like they just said "hey lets play all the odd songs in one show".

Into Corinna currently. Excellent! Best thing so far.

Mike Dow and macdaddysinfo like this.
  10. warewolf95

12 30 09

So i guess Corinna was the turning point of set 1.

Everything after was excellent.

Ending with an unexpected double punch of CDT and Bowie.

If you want a set that plays like an album, check this out. Its not my preferred pick abd I doubt ill ever return to it but as a whole it really flowed great.

11. warewolf95

Found myself a digital copy of the 2009 Phish: The Biography

Reading it while playing 12 30 09

Theres some really great stuff in here around the 1995 era talking about the comparisons and differences between the Dead and Phish and peoples' opinions etc

Its really fascinating to me because I love both acts equally and can understand both sides of opinions.

adamos, Mike Dow and Ivand like this.
  12. warewolf95

Also, I find it fascinating that both bands kind of had similar career trajectories, except one took place over 30 years and the other basically happenned within a decade.

13. warewolf95

12 30 09

After the best Sand since Camden, we get the best Curtain With of the year imo.

This is a song im still familiarizing myself with, but you know when you keep hearing a song and one time it finally "clicks"? That just happenned. Sick

:)

adamos and Mike Dow like this.
  14. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I remember first hearing The Curtain With on an '88 Nectar's tape with a college friend who was also a big fan. At the end Trey said "The Curtain...with.." and we thought a tape cut was the reason he didn't say anything after "with."

15. warewolf95

12 30 09

Back On The Train

Doncha just love it when they jam out a non-jam song?

Monroro, adamos and Mike Dow like this.
  16. warewolf95

12 30 09

BOTT

Holy jeezis. This is some magical 2000-sounding ambient exploration type stuff.

This is easily in the top 5 or so jams of all of 2009.

JayB and Mike Dow like this.
  17. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

Yep.

warewolf95 likes this.
  18. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I went to the Trey solo show at the last minute. I bought a ticket around 6:30 PM, front row balcony off of StubHub for $45.56. Crappy electronic ticket, but whatever.

I thought he was good. He played a lot of his new songs. He closed with "More" I think. He played Silent In The Morning, Dog-Faced Boy (which was cool because I was listening to Hoist in the car today), The Lizards, The Inlaw Josie Wales (totally called this with my sarcastic comment above), and Winterqueen (a "new" song (even though Fuego came out over four years ago) I liked right away for some reason).

He's solo acoustic, but he has gadgets at his command so as to be band-like. He was hitting some sort of bass drum pad with his left foot at lot, and he can loop rhythm lines and solo over them.

It was definitely worth 45 bucks. Like @Erik B. said, it's a short show, not two sets with a long set break. Just one set with like a three-song encore.

I turned into the BART parking lot a little hard and ran over a curb. It didn't sound good but there was no obvious damage when I checked the front tires. Anyway, came back to a flat on the front passenger side. I see a Big O in my future . . . .

trd, warewolf95, Crispy Rob and 3 others like this.
  19. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

Bad luck. Glad you made the show and did it last minute. I absolutely hate not getting a hard ticket to add to the album but oh well

trd and warewolf95 like this.
  20. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Halloween 2018.

warewolf95, Erik B. and Crispy Rob like this.
  21. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

It's important to change a tire once in a while, or you lose testosterone. :D I have road service in my insurance, but it seemed like the thing to do. The whole process probably took 45 minutes, and only because I hadn't done it in years.

trd, Crispy Rob, warewolf95 and 2 others like this.
  22. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

IWT

This is what a troll smells like

warewolf95 likes this.
  23. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

I wouldn’t even know where to begin

wavethatflag and warewolf95 like this.
  24. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Giant doin' cartwheels, statue wearin' high heels
    Look at all the happy creatures dancin' on the lawn
    Dinosaur Victrola list'nin' to Buck Owens
    Doo, doo, doo, lookin' out my back door

[​IMG]

:winkgrin:

trd, wavethatflag and warewolf95 like this.
  25. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I thought last night’s show was really good. Not quite as much banter/storytelling as I’d expected, but we did get more songs (26) than any other show this tour so far, with the caveat that counts Horse and Silent in the Morning separately.

Some other highlights were Limb by Limb and Twist. Lizards followed by Wilson made for a nice side trip to Gamehendge. Kill Devil Falls worked nicely as an acoustic opener. I don’t feel strongly one way or another about it but people seem to love More.

One funny moment - a woman was annoyingly singing along a lot about two rows behind me, and during More she started dancing in the aisle as well as singing along. I had an aisle seat and took a quick look back giving her a bit of stink eye, and noticed the guy seated across the aisle was giving her the exact same look. When the lights came up, I realized that the other guy was a friend of mine. We grabbed a couple post show pints and had a good laugh about it.

warewolf95, Erik B., adamos and 3 others like this.