Phish: What Are You Listening To?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by B-Mike, Jul 27, 2015.

1. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I would have totally called AAA.

warewolf95, Erik B. and wavethatflag like this.
  2. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I was sitting next to a young couple that were really into it, bouncing around in their seats, vaping up a storm, and the woman bumped me a few times, but she was polite about it. This gave me purchase to chair dance however I wanted, and the two seats on the other side of me were empty. Not a lot of movement in the crowd from what I could see. I really appreciated The Horse before SITM.

I liked the "Wait" story, and then the story about getting all their stuff stolen on an early CA tour.
    I was in the BART garage, and by the time the tow truck would get there, I'd be done already. If this had happened on the highway, I would have called the calvary.

warewolf95 and Crispy Rob like this.
  3. trd

trd Forum Resident

I was Row B in the balcony, probably right near you

It was a very enjoyable evening. Even some of the songs I dislike (stealing time) were enjoyable in this format. It’s a shame he couldn’t pull of Lizards but that’s really my only complaint. Mores stories would have been welcome too I guess. An interesting jam tacked on to Twist and I thought his voice sounded excellent. Highlight for me was Dog Faced Boy

TREY ANASTASIO, SATURDAY 12/08/2018
    PARAMOUNT THEATRE
    Oakland, CA

SET 1: Kill Devil Falls[1], Stealing Time From the Faulty Plan[1], Sleep[1], Frost[1], The Inlaw Josie Wales[1], The Connection[2], Winterqueen[1], Water in the Sky[1], Miss You[1], Heavy Things[1], Sand[1] > The Horse[1] > Silent in the Morning[1] > Backwards Down the Number Line[1] > Blaze On[1], Strange Design[1], Till We Meet Again[1], Limb By Limb[1], Twist[1], The Lizards[1], Wilson[1]

ENCORE: Waste[1], Driver[1], Dog Faced Boy[1], All of These Dreams[1], More[1]

[1] Trey solo acoustic.
    [2] Trey solo acoustic; first acoustic performance by Trey.

Geee!, warewolf95, adamos and 2 others like this.
  4. wavethatflag

Changing my own tire is as close as I'm ever going to get to heading out into the wilderness with an axe, and living off the land.
    I was on the left side of the balcony, three seats in from the middle aisle. Dog-Faced Boy was my highlight also. In fact, I said "No way!" when he started to play it, because I was listening to Hoist in the car earlier.

5. trd

trd Forum Resident

My first Dog Faced Boy since 8/12/96, my second show

warewolf95, Erik B. and wavethatflag like this.
  6. musicarus

musicarus Forum Resident

As I think previously noted, IWT. Drove down from Saratoga in my '82 2WD Mazda pickup. Fun show! My 2nd and sporting a Big Ball Jam. Driving back north, not so much. It wasn't a month later we had a blizzard featuring 3' of blowing/drifting snow. Next thing I knew was calling in sick to spend time on the phone to get tix for their dual May '93 shows at The Palace that featured interesting guest appearances, Dick Solberg, the Sun Mountain Fiddler on 5/5 and members of ARU on 5/6, my birthday.

Crispy Rob and warewolf95 like this.
  7. wavethatflag

I was there. The only reason I didn't go to 5/5 is because Phish always seemed to hit Albany during law school exam weeks. That was my fourth show.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    trd, warewolf95 and musicarus like this.
  8. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Dog Faced Boy was a nice surprise. I was down in the orchestra but a bit under the balcony (row PP, for those who frequent the bar often)

9. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Nice. I moved out to the West Coast right after the late April West Hartford show, so didn’t see any of those early May ones. West Hartford was a really fun one, although a larger venue than I was used to at that time.

musicarus likes this.
  10. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Powdered donut show, so far very good, really jammed out Very Long Fuse. As a Ween fan, I'm still not totally sold on Phish's cover, and agree with Dean Ween that Phish doesn't really nail the (very Prince) feel of the song that well, but it's still a welcome cover and shows that Phish has good taste. In fact, I discovered Ween through a Doniac Shvice mention of Pure Guava back in '92 or so. I think in the same edition, Fishman gave a shout out to Car Bomb by Negativland (from Escape from Noise, featuring Jerry Garcia (on "mouth sounds and chimes") and Mickey Hart (on "percussion and processed animals") on one track). I bought Escape from Noise and had it for a few years, a good listen ("Christianity is stupid! Communism is good!") that I stupidly traded in to Amoeba because it was worth a pretty penny 8 or 10 years later. But I digress and have wandered far afield.

11. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

8/6/2017

Night 13

Most events aren’t planned

adamos and warewolf95 like this.
  12. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

And finally today....none to go!

We have reached the conclusion of 2009 with 12/31/09, Miami, FL

So far this run has been loaded with highlights, but none of the 3 previous shows were anywhere near consistent enough to warrant being put on the year's "best shows" list.

13. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

Now please provide us with a summary of your findings and your final top 2009 shows. :)

14. warewolf95

Since there is, practically, no such thing as a poor modern Phish show, this list is divided in to 2 parts - 1. Shows totally worth hearing in full and, 2. Highlights of the more inconsistent shows. There are no highlights listed from the shows to be heard in full, only from the ones not on the "best shows of year" part of the list. :)

Also, stars (*****....) indicate a mind-blowing experience. :p

2009 - Best shows and highlights

Shows:

HAMPTON RUN
    3/6
    3/7
    3/8

SUMMER LEG #1
    6/6
    6/7
    6/9
    6/12
    6/18
    6/20

SUMMER LEG #2
    7/30
    7/31
    8/1
    8/7
    8/11
    8/13
    8/14*******

FALL TOUR
    11/01
    11/20*********************
    11/22*********************
    11/24
    11/27*********************
    11/28
    11/29*********************
    12/03********************* (HOTTEST DWD EVER HEARD)
    12/04 (Sloppy in places but energy loaded)
    12/05 (Some set 1 inconsistency but MAGIC second set!)

NEW YEAR'S RUN
    12/31 (3/4 of the show is absolutely mandatory listening)

Highlights:

SUMMER LEG #1
    Tweezer>Light 5/1
    Farmhouse 6/2
    Mike's>Simple>Wolfman>Weekapaug 6/2
    Kill Devil Falls 6/2
    Ghost 6/4
    Meatstick>Drowned 6/4
    Kill Devil Falls 6/5
    Reggae Woman 6/5
    David Bowie 6/10
    Waves>Ocean Sing 6/10
    Rock and Roll>Space>Light 6/14
    Bathtub Gin 6/14
    SET 2 OF 6/21

SUMMER LEG #2
    Reggae Woman 8/2
    You Enjoy Myself 8/2
    David Bowie 8/5
    Down With Disease 8/5
    Wolfman>Character Zero>Antelope 8/8
    YEM>Number Line>Piper 8/8
    Rock And Roll 8/8
    46 Days 8/15
    Crowd Control through Axilla 8/15
    Number Line>20 Years Later 8/16
    Halley's Comet>Rock and Roll 8/16

FALL TOUR
    DWD>Free 11/18
    Taste 11/18
    Waste 11/18
    Bug 11/18
    David Bowie 11/18
    Split Open and Melt 11/21
    Rock and Roll>Ghost>If I Could 11/21
    11/25 Divided Sky
    12/2 Ocelot>Brian and Robert
    12/2 Divided Sky
    12/2 Tweezer>Joy

NEW YEAR'S RUN
    12/28 My Soul
    12/28 Roggae
    12/28 Undermind
    12/28 Stash
    12/28 Possum (Chill Grateful Dead version)
    12/28 Mike's>Light>Hydrogen>Groove
    12/28 Alaska
    12/28 Number Line
    12/28 Contact (super funky!)
    12/28 First Tube
    12/29 Maze
    12/29 Ocelot
    12/29 Reba
    12/29 Tweezer>Caspian>Jibboo>Wilson>Jibboo>Heavy Things (!!!)
    12/30 Corinna
    12/30 Tela
    12/30 Gone
    12/30 Sand
    12/30 The Curtain With>Lifeboy (INCREDIBLE!)
    12/30 Back On The Train (2000 AMBIENCE!)
    12/30 Run Like An Antelope

The year started great with the mighty Hampton run, but the first Summer leg was just....let's just say it sounds fine until you hear the rest of the year and realize they were NOT up to snuff yet. Not for lack of effort but for some reason the first summer leg sounds very tired/uninspired in spots, but that's easily looked over when you remember there is a lot of rust to shake off. Good stuff to be found - just gotta dig a bit.

Leg 2 was LEAPS AND FRIGGIN BOUNDS ahead of Leg 1. I don't know what they did in the break but these shows are a whole level up and almost every show from this run of dates is full on excellent and worth hearing. Phenomenal.

Fall tour - and the guys surprise again by leveling up ANOTHER full step going from "every show is awesome" to "every show is phenomenal!!!". If I had to tell someone what to hear from 2009, I would easily recommend 11/20-12/03 as mandatory listening. If you want 2009, that's probably the stuff to get. Just ridiculous.

And then we have New Years. Maybe from having a break for a few weeks, but these shows felt a giant step down from the previous 2 tour legs and, while still loaded with highlights, the only show that escaped major inconsistency (and just barely at that) was 12/31

In a nutshell, 50 shows, 27 of which are worth hearing in full and a load of other highlights throughout.

I'd call it a pretty good comeback - all good things take time and the boys in December are totally different than those in March. :)

15. Ivand

Ivand Forum Resident

Impressive/detailed review. Thanks!

Are we getting another discount from LivePhish this month?:confused:

jay.dee, warewolf95 and Erik B. like this.
  16. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

Pick ups since Black Friday

[​IMG]

17. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

Me too. Third time through KV. . . It's not getting any better. This is what troll smells like.

18. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

you are making me want to do an 09 run

warewolf95 likes this.
  19. warewolf95

Summer leg 2 and Fall tour are both absolutely worth your time, but the run of shows from 11/18 to, id say, 11/29 is the batch of the year fer sure.

:)

20. Received my Baker's Dozen vinyl box today. Nice package all around. I am a little miffed though that some sides are really short. Side D contains only a 7+ minute "More"; 5 of the 12 sides run less than 12 minutes. WTF?

21. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

Starting on the December solo acoustic shows - 12/3 Mesa today. I like that he opened with Turtle in the Clouds (by request).

22. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Yeah, I passed since overall it just didn't seem like a set I'd spin very often. Like A Live One, it seemed like something made for other formats, then shoehorned onto vinyl with no real consideration for the format. I think it would've been cool to have a unique vinyl compilation, with different songs...since a lot of these sides are so short, there would've been plenty of room to add some shorter tunes (by Phish standards) to give every side a consistent running time and provide some better value for money. As it is, I'm just sticking to the streaming version, I guess.

Geee!, wavethatflag and warewolf95 like this.
  23. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

Man, I really like KV - especially the second half. I thought it was pretty fun.

24. warewolf95

And the journey continues!

Onwards we go with 6/11/10, Chicago, IL

An absolutely fantastic setlist (for my taste, at least - can't beat a Disease opener!), the show opens with a RIPPING Down With Disease that sees the guys already at energy level Mach 10. :D

It's the kind of energy that makes the hair on your arms stick up and a smile stretch across your face.

THIS IS SICK! :D

adamos likes this.
  25. warewolf95

6/11/10

Check out this funky-as-hell Wolfman!

The song portion seems pretty chill but around 4:50 Mike starts "slappin' da bass" and a funky jam slowly takes off.

Trey isn't using distortion and it sounds great for keeping the mood.

Mike is friggin' POPPIN' them strings though!!!

adamos likes this.