Phish: What Are You Listening To?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by B-Mike, Jul 27, 2015.

1. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Not sure what Steven Tyler is doing in that article, but that's another topic... :laugh:

Agreed on Trey. I'm glad he's still with us and making music.

warewolf95, adamos and Erik B. like this.
  2. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I liked the article, but I only read the Walsh, Trey and Tyler paragraphs. I expected Trey to come off intelligent, grounded and alright, ‘cuz he’s got a degree. :D

I find Joe Walsh the most interesting of all those guys, though. He wakes up on a plane as he’s about to land in Paris, and he can’t remember how he got there. I wish I had the cash to play out my problems on that grand of a scale.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
  3. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

I thought it was interesting to hear how unafraid the older guys were about telling it all, while the younger artists (especially the guy from DIIV) kept evading the questions and holding things close to the vest. Not that I blame 'em, they are still pretty close to the situation, but it was an interesting contrast.

4. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

With absolutely no intention of undercutting your thoughtful observation, reading this reminded me of the (almost) famous last words... “I’M ON DRUGS!” :)

5. wavethatflag

I’ve never seen “Shrine” from Party Time in a set list.

Edit: It’s never been played live. Seems like a great topic for a new thread! :D

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    warewolf95 and adamos like this.
  6. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

Just finished reading the article. Trey’s quotes are thoughtful and interesting; it’s a good piece.

7. Sydster

Sydster Forum Resident

That was on my cassette too. Haven’t listened to it in awhile (and the cassette is long gone) so I wonder if it made the cut on the spreadsheet version. Must remember to give that a spin. The “Reba” in this show just kills me. Trey’s tone and phrasing at the peak of the solo are righteous.

Lownote30, Mugrug12 and warewolf95 like this.
  8. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

I didn't get around to it, but I was gonna watch set 2 of 8/14/10 while hanging in Starbucks tonight. I had the dvd sitting by me and this guy came in and saw it and goes "YEA PHISH!" :D

I've seen this guy in here almost every night for 2 years but we've never talked before - now we have a connection, lmao

He tells me he's seen 36 shows. His first was Charlotte 1995 and his most recent was 12/28/17

:)

budwhite, Erik B., walrus and 2 others like this.
  9. walrus

Those moments are so fun. Anytime I wear a shirt of an obscure/cultish band (The Jam, Jellyfish, Marillion, Big Star, etc) at a show I will undoubtedly get some dude high-fiving me who's really excited about. Of course, it was always some dude, never a smart, attractive female, but still. :laugh:

Crispy Rob, adamos, budwhite and 3 others like this.
  10. wavethatflag

I bought this shirt at the last Paul Weller show I went to, and I was wearing a Who shirt. Who wanted to strike up a conversation about it? Some guy older than me. Nice guy, good talk, but yeah, no babes.

11. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

Nice. I’m at a lowly 15. If I get Dick’s it will be 18

warewolf95 likes this.
  12. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

I have never in my entire life had a babe come up to me and say “hey nice t-shirt” when wearing a band t.

That’s not true. One time with a Phish t -shirt it happened. But I was with my then wife

FML

warewolf95 likes this.
  13. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

@warewolf95 Did you guys just become best friends ?

warewolf95 likes this.
  14. warewolf95

[​IMG]

Doggiedogma, budwhite and Erik B. like this.
  15. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

I am on my iPhone and can’t post that but that’s what I was thinking

warewolf95 likes this.
  16. warewolf95

Great minds think alike ;)

Erik B. likes this.
  17. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

Great article thanks for posting. I also thought the questions were excellent
    Fascinating. Thank you for posting this. Above all I thought the questions were very smart. interviews can be wasted w bad questions and this was the opposite.
    It was interesting to see the different viewpoints from totally different people. Trey seemed the most open to surrender himself to getting help and authority figures. Maybe I'm
    Looking in too far but he might have Experience at this from improvised
    Music, the best moments when you sacrifice the ego and give yourself
    Over to a bigger something.
    I've seen diiv twice they kinda jammed...

Kinda

wavethatflag likes this.
  18. JamesD1957

JamesD1957 Forum Resident

Just finished reading Phish:the biography, but it stops with 2009. I’ve started “100 things” since it just came out fairly recently. Any recommended reading?

GuidedByJonO))) likes this.
  19. wavethatflag

Now that’s an astute observation. He surrendered to the air. :D

I wish Garcia would have had that sort of revelation.

Erik B., adamos, walrus and 1 other person like this.
  20. walrus

We all do. I think a lot about the amount of compositions we lost to Jerry's condition, not only his premature death, but his general state post-1990. It's always bummed me out that the band's resurgence in 1990 didn't result in another In The Dark-like compositional renaissance as well, at least in a tangible way (i.e. a proper album of their early 90's new songs).

wavethatflag likes this.
  21. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

Having met Steven Tyler within the last year, I can safely say he is sober, and his voice is in incredible shape.

budwhite likes this.
  22. walrus

Tales from his time in Nashville have told me otherwise. Not that he's anywhere near his early 80's low ebb or anything, but "nine years sober" may not be entirely accurate. Of course, onstage it's hard to tell...he strolled onstage (with a bunch of other famous people) during the Stevie Wonder gig a few years ago and was a mess, but that could also just be Steven Tyler's natural state most of the time.

budwhite likes this.
  23. warewolf95

Continuing my previously interrupted viewing session of 8/14/10 with set 2.

The Sloth didn't work too well as a set opener tonight imo - it needs more oomph to it. It wasn't for lack of effort or energy, but it just didn't come off great to me for whatever reason.

Thankfully the energy gets higher and we get back into the swing of things with a killer DWD. About 15 minutes in length, it's nowhere near an all-time version, but it's definitely as hot as "insert random early 3.0 DWD". :)

EDIT - Spoke too soon on that DWD - it gets pretty far out into Type II land for about 10 minutes of pure, unadulterated RAGING. Definitely worth a listen. :)

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
    wavethatflag likes this.
  24. warewolf95

8/14/10

Down With Disease>Jam>What's The Use

Woah...

At first it seemed like DWD was gonna be a standard Type I rager, but then eventually they jumped off the ship into some great Type II raging before abandoning all life vests and going into a completely unexpected and PERFECTLY executed What's The Use

WTU was beautiful

I thought at first they were doing some Floyd or something and then I remembered what it was, haha (sorry - I'm still becoming acquainted with the Siket Disc)

wavethatflag and adamos like this.
  25. warewolf95

8/14/10

DWD>Jam>What's The Use>Scent Of a Mule

Talk about being blindsided by a sequence!!!!

wavethatflag, trd and johnnypaddock like this.