Phish: What Are You Listening To?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by B-Mike, Jul 27, 2015.

1. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I have to admit, I've never taken the time to figure out where there is a source similar to archive.org for streaming unreleased Phish shows. There seems to be a "spreadsheet" some people mention on Phish.net but I'm not clear what that is, or if it's what I'm looking for. Any pointers would be great - I am not up to speed on downloading by bit torrent, so really hoping there are easy streaming options...

2. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

http://www.phishtracks.com is one, but I have not used it too often.

agn and Crispy Rob like this.
  3. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Yes, that is the main site I know for streaming Phish. The spreadsheet is for downloading mp3 AUD recordings (google "Phish spreadsheet" and you'll see it).

Crispy Rob likes this.
  4. B-Mike

B-Mike Forum Resident Thread Starter

agn, Fullbug and Crispy Rob like this.
  5. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Thanks all! I am looking forward to revisiting some old shows there sometime soon.

6. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

Falling behind in my summer tour listening, just getting around to the first night in Atlanta. Yep, that "Kill Devil Falls" is really worth the hype.

B-Mike and Fullbug like this.
  7. B-Mike

Completely agree. Set 2 from Friday (8/7/2015) has some great stuff packed into it.

Chalk Dust, Tweezer, Lizards, Makisupa, Ghost, Harry, Tweezer Reprise, Good Times Bad Times

8. Whew. Just finished last night's first set. Fun collection of oldies.

GuidedByJonO))) likes this.
  9. GuidedByJonO)))

Yeah, I can't wait to get caught up with last night's show. I was watching TV with my wife, following the setlist on the Phish from the Road Twitter account and wishing I was there.

10. arrowman

arrowman Well-Known Member

I've been seeing Phish since '93, and last night's was about as good as it gets.

ARK likes this.
  11. Rev. MIke

Rev. MIke Well-Known Member

I think last night is a show from 3.0 that I could actually replay down the road. The Utica 2010 show might be the last one I said that about. I am actually listening right now.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
  12. B-Mike

13. B-Mike

Good old Hampton ...

[​IMG]

14. GuidedByJonO)))

[​IMG]

It doesn't have some of the bigger jams or bust-outs that have been the talk of Summer Tour 2015, but this is definitely a contender for one of my favorite shows of the tour so far. Pretty consistent throughout. Really funky first set and the "Mike's Groove" run is something special.

JimSmiley likes this.
  15. JAG

JAG Forum Professor with Tenure

can't see the pic...I was at the Hampton Comes Alive shows and it does not get any better than that

16. GuidedByJonO)))

Hampton Comes Alive is indeed what is shown. To be honest, I've always been a little disappointed in that set. There are some fantastic performances in those shows, but those emphasized the "silly" factor a little too much. A valid part of their 90s, sure, but the Beastie Boys, Chumbawamba and Will Smith covers all seemed to stretch the shows a little too far in that direction for my tastes. I think I was just slightly let down because, after A Live One, that was the first major multi-disc live box to get a wide release.

17. B-Mike

I agree that Sabotage, Tubthumping, and Gittin' Jiggy are not among the best of the 1998 covers. On the other, Hampton also has Rock & Roll Part 2, Quinn, Funky Bitch, Roses are Free, Boogie On, Nellie Kane, and Bold As Love.

johnnypaddock likes this.
  18. Just finished 8/12/15. Best show I've heard this tour. Tight first set and great long jams in set two.

19. GuidedByJonO)))

Really anxious to catch up to that one! Working my way through the Kansas City show which, other that the Set I "Divided Sky" and the Set II "DWD", isn't anything terribly special.

20. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

I think the Hampton Comes Alive box was Phish's desire to finally release full shows that were an accurate representation of where the band was at that time even though they came out a year after the fact when Phish had, by then, introduced more of a "spacey" element to their jams via Trey's loops and some of Page's experimentation.

Between "A Live One" and "Hampton," we also had "Slip, Stitch and Pass," which sampled a stellar show recorded in a relatively small venue in Hamburg, Germany on March 1, 1997. That disc offered a great bridge between "A Live One" and "Hampton." For relative newbies who hadn't been to a show (or listened to tapes) it was their initial exposure to material like "Mike's Song," and "Weekapaug Groove," great covers like "Cities," "Jesus Just Left Chicago," and off-the-chart versions of "Wolfman's Brother," and "Taste."

Many of the discs that ended up being released in the "Live Phish" series were personal favorites of the band members. I've always had the impression that those Hampton shows were important to the band at the time. I listened to the Hampton box so often after the first several years of release that I always seem to choose something else - usually more recent - when listening to Phish. Still, it's a killer set in my opinion.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
    jay.dee and fsfang2 like this.
  21. fsfang2

fsfang2 Forum Resident

5/31/2009 - Boston, MA @ Fenway Park. Good show and I love the set list!

22. Complier

Complier Senior Member

23. BigCypress99

BigCypress99 Member

Amsterdam box and 7.31.15 from Atlanta night 1 (best KDF I have heard to date).

24. B-Mike

BigCypress99, we need you officially released.

BigCypress99 and Mike Dow like this.
  25. Tom B

Tom B Forum Resident

I just broke the seal on the 2lp Party Time set that has been on the shelf since whenever it came out - RSD 2011, no? Not sure why I never got to this til now.

Edit - it's not bad for a sort of 'knock-off' release. I know they've played Alaska a bit but I swear I've heard Let Me Lie very recently somewhere - have they played it on the current tour? I guess I could check easily enough. Nice tune.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2015