Phish: What Are You Listening To?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by B-Mike, Jul 27, 2015.

1. JayB

JayB Senior Member

Golden Age is next my man..my favorite part of the whole show. :)

adamos and warewolf95 like this.
  2. Jerfan13

Jerfan13 Makes wrinkles advertised as creases

Last pH was that Remain In Light set. So good!!!

adamos, warewolf95 and Doggiedogma like this.
  3. Day_Tripper2019

Day_Tripper2019 Forum Resident

The 12-31-91 is shockingly bad.

warewolf95 likes this.
  4. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I hope my comment wasn't taken in any kind of negative way as it was not meant to be and it doesn't reflect a dislike for Phish but more a lack of knowledge and interest.

jay.dee, warewolf95 and Doggiedogma like this.
  5. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Oh my god yes that was like a crazy movie or something. 24 minutes of oh my god

:p

6. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

I suppose you must have got ejected from a J.J.Cale thread and now looking for a new community that would embrace and console you. ;) You have stumbled across the right place, but you need to improve your phamiliarity with Phish music.

For starters I would propose something relaxing; how about the Nassau '98 improv?

warewolf95 and johnnypaddock like this.
  7. B-Mike

B-Mike Forum Resident Thread Starter

I don’t know about everybody else, but I like J.J. Cale.

lc317 likes this.
  8. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

Not at all. It's all good.

9. lc317

lc317 Forum Resident

Speaking of JJ Cale - saw him open for Phish at my 2nd Phish show at the Greek in Berkeley in August of 1993;

was an excellent set, though I did not know much about him at the time other than knowing he wrote some of Eric Clapton 70s hits like Cocaine. Years later picked up some of his albums, and it is really good stuff, very recommended!

B-Mike and jay.dee like this.
  10. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Mike covered one of JJ Cale's songs "Ain't Love Funny." I saw that at Alpine Valley in 1997.

11. Harry Hood

Harry Hood Forum Resident

The dvd's I've got each flow as one continuous show, but with track menus. The problem was only 1 camera, so it might zoom in on Fishman for 45 secs whilst Trey starts playing a solo.

For nostalgia fans, at least 1, maybe even all 3. has the audience chess move as set 2 track 1.

12. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

Yes, I meant the song downloads themselves were separate files. Never had the DVDs.

warewolf95 likes this.
  13. Harry Hood

Harry Hood Forum Resident

I remember as well, one of them has a Highway To Hell encore. There's no bass in the verses, so Mike brings a chair out on stage and just gets up for the choruses.

14. DeadPhishBlues

DeadPhishBlues I just got back from Kill Devil Falls

YEM was magnificent on Friday night...and the why the girls' introduction was handled....BOOM ! There they are and did they deliver. I do love these Friday night Jams and TAB moves me so much differently than Phish does.
    I'm starting to feel sad that we only have two more shows. Any thoughts on whether Page or Mike show up ?

warewolf95, adamos and walrus like this.
  15. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Yeah, when they first announced it I was like "how exciting is a series of TAB shows with no audience going to be?" (I actually like Trey's solo stuff just fine, but it's just a different level of excitement) but he's done an amazing job of keeping it interesting.

One thing I was thinking about...I'm surprised how many pre-99 Phish songs he's been playing with the full band (the Trey + piano & strings are kind of their own thing), especially last week with "Bouncing" and "Billy Breathes," and I'm wondering how people feel about this? I mean, it doesn't really bother me at all, but I know a lot of fandoms are very sensitive about that kind of thing. IMO it's a nice gesture (even if the performances of both felt a bit tentative) since Phish can't tour, but it's just an interesting thing I've noticed the last few weeks. Feels like the pre-Farmhouse repertoire and TAB repertoire were kept very separate until now, as long as both bands were active.

Billy_Sunday and adamos like this.
  16. walrus

Do they still live in Vermont? It's about a 4 1/2 hour drive from Burlington to the Beacon, so I wouldn't really count on it unless they live closer to NY and can just pop in.

17. Robamorican

Robamorican Forum Resident

I saw the band a crapload of times between 1991 to 1996 or 1997? I forget.. last night I put on what was what I remember being the best show I heard live by them:

12/1/95

I did a lot of shows that winter run, including the NYE run.. 12/1/95 in Hershey was the best. And listening to it last night.. 25 years later!! I can double down on that. That was my peak.

18. Ilusndweller

Ilusndweller S.H.M.F.=>Reely kewl.

1 year later 12/1/96 has a nice 2nd set Tweezerfest. I suggest the bass mod Oktava MC-012(cat in hat)> PSC 48V phantom power boxes> line in Sony TCD-D7. I mail ordered to a bunch of different addresses and got one set of great seats.

warewolf95, Billy_Sunday and adamos like this.
  19. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

A Phish night seems like a long shot at this point but they do like surprises....If it did happen maybe this Friday would be more likely since the final one is over Thanksgiving weekend and the other guys might not want to travel to NYC then? To your point just one of them sitting in could be more likely, you never know. Although this far in Trey may not want to swap out his TAB friends so they can enjoy a well deserved curtain call at the end.

Maybe Phish will do something from The Barn around NYE, that’d be cool.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
    warewolf95 likes this.
  20. walrus

My guess is they'll show a prior NYE show on Youtube, and i wouldn't be surprised if they popped in via zoom to talk before or during set breaks. I highly doubt they'll actually play together until next year if they don't all show up for one of the last two Beacon jams. Assuming the other three don't live in NY, that's a lot of work and travel time just to play a show to no actual people.

If Trey hadn't put out two records this year I'd have said there's a decent chance they'd secretly decamp to the Barn to do some recording. Certainly not impossible (they have plenty more as-yet-unrecorded songs) but I also wouldn't mark it as likely. Not sure I'd really want to watch 3 hours of them playing a fake show in the barn, to be honest. Trey's been doing a really good job on his own streams to keep it fresh, but it's also a lot easier to put together with everyone being local (and presumably not having much else to do).

warewolf95 and adamos like this.
  21. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

I hadn’t thought about that but the older Phish songs are blending in well so I’d guess most people are happy to hear them. On a related note there’s some songs in the regular TAB rotation that they haven’t played. Maybe that’s related to the lack of horns. But this definitely feels like its own unique thing where he’s pulling in a little bit of everything.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
    warewolf95, walrus and trd like this.
  22. walrus

yeah. I imagine the super horn songs like “Mozambique” are out, unless he does a horn-heavy show this week or next. Just found the old school Phish inclusions interesting. I like Lawton’s drumming a lot, just slightly jarring, like listening to Mick sing Stones songs with someone besides Charlie Watts.

warewolf95 and adamos like this.
  23. PrineHootieWho2000

PrineHootieWho2000 Forum Resident

Mostly been NYC 12/31/19.
    My first experience. I knew it’d be so great that when I ordered it I did the option for the recording to come with it. I saw that live via stream and I plan to at their first show back on stage on July 13.

24. mdphunk

mdphunk Sharing in the groove

I think it's working because the arrangements are so unique and fun. Take the "Tube" from last week, for example. They didn't just try to do a typical version of "Tube" with a funk jam, which would have sounded awkward. They made it a TAB jam, including the fun vocal stabs from the ladies and Trey's "Blinded Me With Science" quotes.

If we were seeing a straightforward TAB show, I think people would have gotten bored long ago. A great example of this was the GOTF week, when my Twitter feed seemed very down on the show because it was something they'd seen before. (The election-week anxiety didn't help, either)

Re: Phish playing, it seems pretty clear that it's not going to happen as part of the Beacon Jams. Even beyond Page's message a few weeks ago stating that he wouldn't be there, since this show is essentially a telethon it feels counterintuitive to me to have a "surprise" Phish show. If Phish were going to play, they would want to capitalize on that by advertising it in advance and having the largest audience possible.

My money is on a DAAM airing of 12/31/95 for NYE since it's the 25th anniversary. It would be awesome if they decided to show Cypress or another NYE from the 90s that we haven't seen pro-shot video of before.

adamos and walrus like this.
  25. PrineHootieWho2000

PrineHootieWho2000 Forum Resident

I know for a fact they’ll broadcast SOMETHING for NYE (given the series it’d most likely be something never released at all) and then pull a Metallica move and release the audio immediately after.
    Here’s a question to bring up for discussion: why haven’t they already released Big Cypress?