Phish: What Are You Listening To?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by B-Mike, Jul 27, 2015.

1. trd

trd Forum Resident

They released it last year, I think. I recently bought one. You sold at a good time I’m guessing. Although, I’m sure it still goes for a lot given the way collectible vinyl prices are generally kind of nuts.

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  2. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Got extremely distracted by family and had set 1 of 8/16/11 interrupted for the last 2 hours....

Currently resuming with a very nice Ocelot.

Where I left off before:

Runaway Jim
    >Foam
    I Didn't Know

RJ was terrific with a really nicely done chill tone to it. Very patient jamming. Extremely enjoyable!!!!
    What's a RJ without a segue into Foam? :)

Foam was even better than Runaway Jim. An awesome, awesome version.

I Didn't Know brought some good laughter with a raucous vacuum solo

Now Ocelot is bringing that slow-jam, swampy kind of vibe. Just...patience is the word for this set, I guess. The guys are takign their time with the songs and just soaking into them. Check out the great soloing by Page underneath Trey's playing. Like listening to Bob Weir doing his rhythm-soloing thing behind Jerry :)

Awesome Ocelot. Awesomelot. Yes, I went there. Throw your pebbles and marbles, I don't care ;)

3. warewolf95

8/16/11 Chicago #2

Currently in the middle of Theme From the Bottom

So, 8/15 is the benchmark. 8/15 was MAGICAL.

8/16 has moments (Disease>Twist) that come CLOSE to 8/15 but are still light years away.

Let me put it like this though - if 8/15/11 did not exist, this show - 8/16/11 - would easily be in the top 3 or 4 shows of the year so far.

Easily.

This comparison is a compliment to both shows. Night 1 was just so insane there is no hope of competing. Night 2 however is a perfect representation of where Phish is at in 2011 on a great night.

8/15 was a freak accident type of thing. The stuff you pray for but know is not gonna happen most nights.

8/16 is a perfect example of what you CAN realistically hope for on any given night in 2011.

Does any of that make sense to anyone? :p

Billy_Sunday, adamos and trd like this.
  4. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I think you guys are talking about Ghost vinyl--I bought the one they're selling at Dry Goods now, so far I have White Tape, Junta, Nectar, Ghost, Fuego, Sigma Oasis, and A Live One. Paid way too much for A Live One and Nectar, although the Nectar seller immediately came down 50 bucks. Music Direct told me I had almost no chance given the amount of pre-orders they had for A Live One, so then I bought it on Discogs for, gulp, double, and then a few days later Music Direct tells me they just talked to the supplier, and that if I pre-ordered now I'd get one. So, sometimes you can find deals and other times you pay through the nose.

So if you want A Live One at retail, pre-order at Music Direct now, at least as of a week or two ago. Things change fast in the vinyl world these days.

edit: Oh yeah, I made the Lawn Boy pre-order window. Tipped off a few people on the Forum to it, which was very Helping Friendly of me.

Billy_Sunday, warewolf95 and trd like this.
  5. trd

trd Forum Resident

Huh I guess I should do that. I was on the fence about whether I wanted that and passed but for retail maybe I’ll finally grab it. I have the albums and I have MSG95 but I never play it so I thought I’d skip ALO but...

warewolf95 likes this.
  6. wavethatflag

Yeah, don't even ask me why I became obsessed about A Live One, as soon as they started releasing full shows, I probably never listened to it again. But back in the 90s one of my buddies' bachelor parties involved playing cards, smoking cigars, drinking booze, and listening to A Live One over and over. It had just been released.

7. trd

trd Forum Resident

It’s great. I was trying to find an introduction to phish for a coworker who is a huge jazz head, musically into interesting stuff and a hifi guy. I ended up going with ALO over an album because I think it’s that close to perfect.

just ordered ALO and SS&P from music direct, why not?

Nice to see you around again

8. wavethatflag

I was gone? Maybe not so active for the last week because I'm over at Vinyl For Sale all the time. Of course I do work a lot more than I used to, so I can't be here as much. But I'm here a lot. At least I think I am. I appreciate the sentiment though, trd.

I don't spend a lot of time in this thread, but I gotta at least scan wolf's reviews when he has like three consecutive posts.

warewolf95 and trd like this.
  9. trd

trd Forum Resident

Beers soon! They’re opening a Humble Sea near you

10. wavethatflag

Everybody I know who drinks beer is telling me this. I don't not drink beer, but I'm not a connoisseur.

I better listen to some Phish while I'm here, Side C of A Live One, after what I'm listening to now.

11. trd

trd Forum Resident

You me and @Crispy Rob - good times to be had

12. warewolf95

Peace and love mate :)

trd and wavethatflag like this.
  13. trd

trd Forum Resident

Wait are you saying @wavethatflag is the Ringo of the phish tread? Not cool, bro

14. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

February or July? I was there for the February show.

trd likes this.
  15. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

IWT, although it was a tough decision between Phish and my only (so far) chance to see Big Audio Dynamite, who were playing at the same time. But it was also my only Phish show of 2011.

The folks I was with (and I) all had a great time, thought it was a high energy show with a lot of crowd pleasers like that sequence and of course Fluffhead and 2001. We went to an after party with some folks who were on tour at the time and they were all ragging on the show because there weren't any big exploratory jams, and also thought the only worthwhile moment was Mound, which I guess was kind of a rarity by then. On the other hand, I had seen Mound plenty of times back in the day, so that wasn't a highlight for me, and I had enjoyed a tight, well played show with a setlist that worked pretty well for me. To each their own. It wasn't as good as any of the Greek 2010 shows or several of the other (only Bay Area) 3.0 shows I've seen since, but it was still a very good show, lots of fun, and I was glad I went.

16. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

IWT! Spectacular sunset during Divided Sky and then the Hood with the stage lights turned off for maximum starlight.

Billy_Sunday, trd, adamos and 2 others like this.
  17. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Trey never really put his mind to learning the Chuck Berry double-stops, unlike Jerry and Keef. I can do without the Phish version of that one.

trd and warewolf95 like this.
  18. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

5/17/91 at the Campus Club in Providence, on Page's birthday, they ended Set II with BBFCFM, with Trey (in a sleeveless black shirt) throwing himself into the drum kit Cobain-style at the end. Epic. Crazy show with a power outage early on (where they played a jazz riff and IIRC the Spiderman theme song instrumentally in the dark), and an acquaintance crowd-surfed during Possum at the beginning of the first night. Probably the wildest night of Phish I experienced. They had promised to make up for the Alumni Hall Brown University show in February that year (which I was also at) where Brown security pulled the plug on the show way too early in Set II, and they delivered. Also saw them encore with BBFCM at the Living Room in Providence on 5/11/90.

19. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

You added an extra "i" to "funnest"

Billy_Sunday, lucan_g and adamos like this.
  20. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Yeah, same. I bought tickets for the 2020 run because I had a conflict with the Chase Center dates for last year. Now that the Chase Center dates for 2021 work for me, not sure I can pull off also going to the Gorge...

21. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I wasn't super-psyched on most of the Hoist material. It was the first album since I'd gotten into them and their albums were easily obtainable that I didn't seek a copy out until years after release. I bought Nectar, Rift, Billy Breathes and Story of the Ghost on or very close to release day (and bought Junta and Lawn Boy asap after they became widely available on Elektra), but Hoist took 5 or 6 years for me to get around to picking up used.

Last edited: May 15, 2021
    warewolf95 likes this.
  22. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Bite the bullet and buy some SPF 100 or whatever and go see them live, especially after the long drought of live music we've all suffered. You obviously love this music, and there is nothing better than experiencing it in the moment. No judgement if you decide not to, but that is just my advice as a getting older guy to a younger guy. Carpe diem and whatnot. Take care of your shoes and don't worry about anything else...

In other words, to quote the Butthole Surfers, "Well, so, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done," but YMMV obviously, and there is the whole "if you see your mom this weekend be sure and tell her" part of that song, too...

Last edited: May 15, 2021
    Billy_Sunday, adamos, trd and 2 others like this.
  23. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I was front row for the first (February) show in that box.

GuidedByJonO))), Michael and adamos like this.
  24. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Yes, I'm one of the people telling him about the second Humble Sea opening. The three of us need to hit that spot together for sure. We've made a couple socially distanced trips down to Santa Cruz over the pandemic and have picked up to go crowlers and cans from the original spot, and I've also had a few batches shipped here. Craft beer shipments have bee one of the few bright spots of this weird time.

trd and johnnypaddock like this.
  25. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

I might be mistaken but I think one of those shows might be on YouTube... I saw one from around that time frame last year. Would have loved to see it live!