Phish: What Are You Listening To?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by B-Mike, Jul 27, 2015.

1. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I need to investigate, clearly.

wavethatflag likes this.
  2. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

Ahh, just checked... It was 11.20.91 Campus Club. Sorry for the false alarm!

Crispy Rob likes this.
  3. Coltrane811

Coltrane811 Forum Resident

Listened to the 2011 Bethel Waves that is getting a vinyl release, it was very nice. Pretty sure I don’t need the vinyl. I like the idea of the series though. I wish they did a 2-LP version with the meat of some random show instead of just one jam, however.

Geee! and Pesus like this.
  4. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

That is great advice :)

I can't afford it this go around unfortunately but if I could I would ;)

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  5. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

IMHO ALO is significantly improved on vinyl. I was surprised.

Because its not a 'complete' show I actually play it more. It makes sense to just throw on a side or two as the urge hits. And the only flipping is the Tweezer, which is a much rarer listen anyway...

Last edited: May 15, 2021
    Crispy Rob and trd like this.
  6. trd

trd Forum Resident

What this guy said!

wavethatflag likes this.
  7. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

F--k man, I'll take Ringo status and all that comes with it any day of the week.
    [​IMG]
    Phish, A Live One

johnnypaddock, adamos and trd like this.
  8. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I probably know a ton of people who were at that, but I wasn't. Out of the country that semester. It wasn't as good as the Living Room, but was still a pretty good venue while it lasted. By the time I got back to the States, Phish were moving on to 2,000-3,000 seat theaters, rather than clubs...

johnnypaddock likes this.
  9. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Heck yeah. Ringo status gets you into the RnR HoF not once, but twice! (And you barely have to try the second time).

trd likes this.
  10. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Sell some grilled cheese or beer or whatever in the lot. If I had worried about seeing only the shows I could afford back when I was in my late teens and early 20s, I would have seen dozens fewer great shows. I know it's easier said than done perhaps, and obviously everyone's financial situation isn't the same, but there are often ways of making things happen if you really want to make them manifest themselves.

trd and warewolf95 like this.
  11. Pesus

Pesus Forum Resident

Have listened to it a few times myself over the last week or so. Really outstanding improv. I love right from the get go Fishman comes out hard with his ride cymbal. Lots of great grooves and trippy playing by all.

Coltrane811 and Crispy Rob like this.
  12. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

wow, that's really cool! very cool indeed...

13. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

We got there early and were able to keep our coffee shop purchases on the stage in front of Page when not in use. Since I was traveling in Europe, and venue security was fine with it, I had my camera with me (almost never the case in the pre-iPhone era) and took a few shots of Trey and Mike from my vantage point, mostly during the first set. That was the first Carini and no one knew what the heck it was, dark intense jam with everyone in the crowd very stoned and following along quiet as can be, hanging on every note. Quite an experience... It was fun to be seeing them in smaller venues again.

14. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I'm looking forward to it. I ordered both and have heard the Ruby Waves but not the Bethel Waves. Will save it until the vinyl lands.

15. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

When did the Waves soundcheck first circulate?

16. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I think I have it (probably from phish.net soon after they played it) but haven't listened yet.

lucan_g likes this.
  17. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

I think it debuted on the Superball From the Archives. I have it as a 128k MP3. still pretty great.
    Definitely better than the Alpine Ruby Waves
    IMHO.

Pesus, trd and lucan_g like this.
  18. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

From The Archives 15 Part 1
    Super Ball IX Bunny Radio, July 1 2011

Last edited: May 15, 2021
    Bigdz68 and lucan_g like this.
  19. warewolf95

You are absolutely correct :)

No, unfortunately though, funds are super tight right now and I'm taking care of my grandmother (95, fell and broke her hip this past January) while me and my uncle are also in the process of getting our 2001 Volvo road-worthy.

God I would love to go but it is just not a good time, lol :p

Those 2 Charleston shows were SO. MUCH. FUN. I've been to loads of great shows but that was something else.

trd, Crispy Rob and wavethatflag like this.
  20. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

There will be more shows between Halloween and New Years. Just sayin'

warewolf95 and Crispy Rob like this.
  21. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Ok, those are good reasons for not going. There’ll be other chances... Hope your grandmother recovers well, that’s a lot to go through at that age.

ARK and warewolf95 like this.
  22. warewolf95

Thank you :)

Yea, she fell 2 days before her 95th birthday and had to spend it in the hospital. I felt sooooooo awful for her :(

150 doctor appointments, insurance headaches, physical therapy, you name it...6 months late now and you'd never know anything happenned.

Thankfully she is the ultimate trooper (seriously, she takes GREAT care of herself) and is in as good shape as I've ever seen someone be at 95.

Beyond blessed is what I am - she has no mental problems of any kind and aside from weakness while standing/moving (needs a walker) she still does everything herself whether we like it or not and gets mad when people try to help :p

She's probably my biggest inspiration - I can't ever get over how determined she still is at her age. She doesn't take ANYTHING from ANYBODY, haha.

As for the truck, we've had it for about 18 months now but there were major engine issues we had to get sorted out that took forever. Now that's all fixed and it's just getting good tires on it and getting our business legalities in order. She will be roadbound shortly. It's been an extremely long and hard road with much exhaustion and head-down-plowing-forward, but the goods are right around the corner finally.

Hope all is good in your neck of the woods. :)

adamos, Crispy Rob and trd like this.
  23. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Good to hear she is doing well all things considered. One of my grandmothers made it to 101 and managed to stay in good mental shape until the end, and spent only the last several months in a nursing home, through her 100th birthday she was still living in her house and getting around okay albeit often with a walker. It was pretty amazing.

All is as well as can be in these strange times here - even got to see some live music (outdoors) for the first time since January 2020 earlier this evening...

Billy_Sunday, trd and warewolf95 like this.
  24. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

5/16/1994 -- Wiltern Theater, Los Angeles, CA

after the 3 shows on 12th, 13th, and 14th, we had an off night on the 15th.

Then up to LA for a date at the wonderful Wiltern Theater. My one and only time there. Nice place.

And, yes, another set-ending Creature From Mars!! Ha! 2 times in the last 4 shows. Definitely another killer show. 1994 is the goods.

Set I
    Buried Alive > Poor Heart > Sample in a Jar > Divided Sky, Axilla II, Rift, Down With Disease > Bouncing Around the Room, Stash, Sweet Adeline

Set II
    Also Sprach Zarathustra > Run Like an Antelope, Sparkle > It's Ice > Julius > You Enjoy Myself, B.B.F.C.F.M. > Amazing Grace > B.B.F.C.F.M.

E: Fee > Rocky Top

25. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I'd call this setlist a solid outing.

Billy_Sunday likes this.