Phish: What Are You Listening To?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by B-Mike, Jul 27, 2015.

1. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

THAT SEGUE OUT OF MIKE'S AND INTO HORSE!

wavethatflag and Sydster like this.
  2. warewolf95

Just finished set 2 of 12/30/93

As I mentioned, set 1 was a very mixed bag with some great spots but also very disappointing for the most part (for me!).

Set 2 destroyed

This was a nearly flawless second set. If we delete Purple Rain>Hold Your Head Up, this was as close to perfection as I've heard recently. An outstanding second set.

Overall, it was worth it :D

Here's my highlights notes for this show:

12/30 Portland **(Sticky night for Trey but set 2 is among the best of the year!!!)
    The Curtain
    >Sample In a Jar
    Colonel Forbin/Narration
    Bathtub Gin (Uptempo type II fun. Ending dissolves into ambiance. Very cool.)
    2001 (Better than most recent versions)
    >Mike's Song (FAN FREAKING TASTIC. CARINI ANYONE? Multi-sectional Type II. A Journey!!!! Holy crap!!! Greatest Mike's Song of '93?!)
    >The Horse/Silent in the Morning (THAT SEGUE!)
    Punch You In the Eye (Great uptempo version. Excellent reading!)
    >McGrupp and the Watchful Hosemasters
    >Weekapaug Groove (Vocal jam!)
    Slave to the Traffic Light
    Good Times Bad Times

3. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

2/20/93 (another breakthrough '93 second set) also had a pretty blah first set from what I remember.

johnnypaddock, trd and warewolf95 like this.
  4. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

Some Santa Cruz friends were doing that NYE run and called me after the show, raving.

I flew to Boston the next day -- 12/31 -- for the NYE show!!

Some airlines had put up some NYE sales and I got to Boston and back on direct flights for $99 each way! I think I was back on the west coast within 48 hours of departing SF.

GoodKitty, trd, johnnypaddock and 3 others like this.
  5. warewolf95

I haven't given up yet guys, don't worry :p

I started 12/31/93 yesterday, but I had a massive migraine (air pressure headaches when we get rain/storms) and had to check out after the Reba. Gonna start from scratch hopefully tomorrow.

And then all day today I was full on in a Queen mood out of nowhere. :p

So hopefully tomorrow is the day, lol

Hope you guys are well :D

Billy_Sunday and GuidedByJonO))) like this.
  6. Billy_Sunday

The OJ Simpson show! Who was there?? Any first hand accounts?

Phish 06/17/94
    Eagles Auditorium, Milwaukee, WI

Set I
    Sound Check: The Wedge, Funky Bitch

Runaway Jim, Foam, Glide, Split Open and Melt, If I Could, Punch You in the Eye, Bathtub Gin, Scent of a Mule, Cavern
    Set II
    Also Sprach Zarathustra > Sample in a Jar > Poor Heart, Mike's Song > Simple > Mike's Song > I am Hydrogen intro > Simple > I am Hydrogen > Weekapaug Groove, Harpua > Kung > Harpua > Simple > Harpua, Sparkle > Big Ball Jam > Julius, Frankenstein, E: Sleeping Monkey, Rocky Top

Comment
    The story goes that the boys in the band saw OJ Simpson running from the cops just before the beginning of Set 2. There was no way the crowd could have known about this media event yet. There are "OJ" teases all throughout Set 2, especially in ASZ and Simple.

GoodKitty, trd, adamos and 2 others like this.
  7. warewolf95

I just played that second the other night! The first time I heard it I couldnt stop laughing lol

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  8. hyde park

hyde park Forum Resident

I did not go, but I had friends who did go and they taped it, so I was able to hear it very soon afterwards. Definitely a fun one.

Billy_Sunday and warewolf95 like this.
  9. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I remember watching O.J. with my parents that night (home for summer after my first year of college). First Phish show five nights later, someone shouted "Is O.J. guilty?" during the gap at the end of the acapella "My Sweet One."

10. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I was at the Dead show in Eugene that night (as perhaps you were?). I didn’t even know anything about the Bronco chase until I got back from the East Coast Dead tour later that summer...

warewolf95 and trd like this.
  11. Billy_Sunday

Well, I had gone to Red Rocks the week before for the 2 Phish shows so apparently going to Oregon for the GD shows wasn't in the cards -- looking back on it, I'm not quite sure why I opted out. I mean, 1 month earlier I had driven all up and down the West coast doing Phish shows.... heh, perhaps that's exactly why I didn't do it! 1994 was, in fact, the first year that I saw more Phish shows than GD shows. I was moving away from a great band that was clearly in decline, to a great band that clearly on the rise....

12. j4yheindeo

j4yheindeo Forum Resident

Phishing for some of y'all's thoughts on the "LP on LP 1" and "LP on LP 2" releases please?

I see they are in stock nearby, wondering if I need run right out?

Also, could someone give a brief description of what means 1.0, 2.0, 3.0?
    I see many references to these periods, and would appreciate a clear breakdown.

Please & Thank You! :tiphat:

warewolf95 likes this.
  13. Billy_Sunday

Phish 1.0 = from the band's inception until the first hiatus, which began after the Fall 2000 tour.

Phish 2.0 = 12/31/2002 through Coventry in 2004. Basically all of 2003 and 2004.

Phish 3.0 = 2009 to the present. We are currently in 3.0.

14. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Yes, it basically denotes the two hiatus periods (hiatii?) that the band took. It remains to be seen whether the forced hiatus due to the pandemic results in 2021 on being called 4.0. I hope not. It's all rather silly, because it's the same four members of the band all along.

15. warewolf95

So I can't really play much technical Phish on guitar, but I can play a bunch of certain licks and passages :p

Stash - the main "head" of the song is great fun to play once you get it down.

It's Ice - I can finally play that dang main lick rather proficiently, but my memory sucks too much to remember the chord changes yet, haha

Divided Sky - no way I will ever get that "reverse" section down, but I've been able to learn several other key licks and sections. Great fun to play as well

:)

Billy_Sunday, walrus and adamos like this.
  16. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

Looks like my Phish on LP sets have shipped (along with yet another Phish shirt to get that free shipping). Will be curious to check them out this week.

warewolf95 likes this.
  17. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

I think the Bethel Waves is really great, and hasn't been released in high sound quality. The Alpine Ruby Waves is also very good, maybe not quite as epic for me personally, and is already available lossless. That said, your tolerance for flipping an LP mid-jam may be the deciding factor.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
  18. Tattooed Headshrinker

Tattooed Headshrinker Accidentally Like A Martyr

Is this still Ruby Waves? :D

I’m listening to the new LP on LP 01 & 02 this morning after picking them up from my local shop yesterday.

19. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Riviera Maya 2020 run … on official nugs.net CDs.

warewolf95 likes this.
  20. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

This series may have made more sense choosing 15-22 min tracks with no flip. But i struggle to see the point of what they are doing….

21. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Trey's SPAC show last night had an acoustic guitar/piano duet version of "Split Open And Melt." I'm curious how that sounded. Also "Stash" and "Fluffhead" with strings.

Crispy Rob, adamos and warewolf95 like this.
  22. Making bank?

ARK, JimSmiley, trd and 1 other person like this.
  23. Tattooed Headshrinker

Tattooed Headshrinker Accidentally Like A Martyr

I know I’m a couple days late for the anniversary, but I decided to listen to the OJ show today thanks to comments from this thread. The entire show is great, and I’ve always particularly loved that second set.
    Ohhhh-J! Run OJ, run!

Billy_Sunday and warewolf95 like this.
  24. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

For some historical context regarding timing:
    I was driving from Durham NC out to the western part of the state that afternoon. The OJ news was all over the radio long before I got to my destination. I remember watching the Knicks playoff game that night and they cut away from the game to show part of the Bronco chase.

LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- It's 1:50 in the afternoon at Parker Center in downtown Los Angeles on June 17, 1994. One of the most watched moments in U.S. history is about to begin.

"The Los Angeles Police Department right now is actively searching for Mr. Simpson," LAPD Commander David Gascon says during a press conference.
    OJ Simpson: A look at how the white Bronco chase unfolded, leading to his arrest

warewolf95 and Billy_Sunday like this.
  25. warewolf95

Raging some 2003 TAB right now. I will get back to 1993 shortly, I promise. :)

Oh man, now I'm jonesing to do a full on 2.0 marathon :p

wavethatflag likes this.