Phish: What Are You Listening To?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by B-Mike, Jul 27, 2015.

1. heathen

heathen Forum Resident

10/22/2021 Phoenix

Set 1: Martian Monster was interesting until Trey pulled the ripcord for Soul Planet. It seemed like he was just ready to move on. Once the song part of Soul Planet was out of the way, the jam started off promising. Trey brought the energy down a bit and they all really locked in together nicely. It was very obvious they were listening closely to each other. As they started to ascend into the 3.0 crescendo it actually felt organic, as opposed to how it can often sound forced. Fish could've mixed it up a bit more throughout the jam, but I can't complain too much. The transition into My Friend was smooth and also didn't feel forced. Mike apparently forgot most of the lyrics to Scent of a Mule, but it was a typically fun version. Ghost was decent with a nice Julius tease at the end. Altogether a decent first set, with the Soul Planet jam being the definite highlight.

2. heathen

heathen Forum Resident

10/22/2021 Phoenix

Set 2/e: I'm always happy to hear Phish do Loving Cup. I think they generally do a great job of it, and it's such a good song to begin with. This version was a bit rough around the edges, but not bad. Mikes/Hydrogen/Weekapaug was also a bit sloppy, and also pretty unremarkable versions overall. The Everything's Right jam eventually got interesting, and I could swear I heard some subtle Manteca teases in there. After the jam picked up in pace, I also thought I heard a subtle Third Stone From the Sun tease from Trey. Overall the jam felt like they were constantly searching and didn't quite get there. The effort was there but it just didn't amount to a lot this time. Harry Hood was pretty good...definitely the highlight of an average-at-best second set. Suzy Greenberg and Cavern were fine but unremarkable.

Altogether I'd say this was a slightly below average show. The Soul Planet jam was definitely the highlight. There was just not enough substance to the second set. The first set was probably above average, but the second set dragged the whole show down to below average status.

adamos, warewolf95 and lucan_g like this.
  3. gdpeck

gdpeck Forum Resident

I was at this show. The live perspective is different from the couch tour perspective, but I don’t entirely disagree with the above. I felt like set 1 was excellent, and set 2 was very good. It was great to finally have a hometown show. (I’ve lived here for 16 years; Phish last played here 18 years ago). The energy was great, and it seemed like the band was enjoying themselves. I felt like they opened pretty strong with Julius. I really enjoyed the Soul Planet jam. The rest of the first set, especially More & Ghost were highlights. Second set highlights were Loving Cup, Cities & Harry Hood. I enjoyed Everything’s Right, but it did seem to get a little stale during parts of the jam. I really like A Life Beyond the Dream, but appreciate it more from Trey Anastasia Band. It seemed to start quite slow for me, but built up very nicely and emotionally as the song progressed. I liked the choice of covers, and thought Cities was fantastic, especially going into Harry Hood. The sound was phenomenal, where I was at, and I loved the lights. I’ve only seen Phish a few times, and am still in the mode of liking every show, but this one was special personally for a few reasons. Grading it on the 1-5 scale, I’d give it a 4.01.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2021
    Billy_Sunday, trd, adamos and 2 others like this.
  4. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Live Phish 18: The Bomb Factory, Dallas 5.7.94

[​IMG]

Billy_Sunday, trd, jay.dee and 6 others like this.
  5. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Trey did a "Tweezer" tease as a joke when TAB played at Bomb Factory in January 2020.

6. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Ha. I hadn't known about that.

7. CantonJester

CantonJester Lost faces say we adore you…

Here's to hoping they can conjure the magic tonight that they possessed in Chula Vista 22 years ago, September 18, 1999.

Billy_Sunday and Crispy Rob like this.
  8. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

I was assimilating some new discs into my collection today and decided to
    play `Big Boat' for the first time. I had bought it upon release in 2016. I was
    pleasantly surprised at how enjoyable and listenable it was. Commercial, no
    less. Wish they had issued the last one on CD.

adamos likes this.
  9. heathen

heathen Forum Resident

Set 2 is one of the all-time best sets of Phish music IMO. Like, easily top 10 and maybe even better than that.

10. 420JJJazz666

420JJJazz666 Hasta Siempre, Comandante

What is a good show for someone who has never listened to much Phish apart from the song "Free" which I didn't particularly like, but enjoyed "Bouncing around the Room?"

heathen likes this.
  11. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

Sigma Oasis did get a CD release last September but they must not have made a lot because it sold out on Phish Dry Goods fairly quickly. That’s where I got it; I don’t remember if it was available at other retailers.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2021
    ARK likes this.
  12. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

There’s a CD version of Sigma Oasis

ARK likes this.
  13. CantonJester

Summer & Fall '94, IMO.

Chicago UIC Pavilion 6.18.94 (part of the Chicago '94 Boxset).

adamos, Crispy Rob and lucan_g like this.
  14. CantonJester

15. heathen

heathen Forum Resident

Anything from 92. They don't ever get way out there with the jams, they're playing is as tight as a drum, and you get songs from the Bouncing era.

Try this one on for size: Phish.in

The only bummer about pre-93 shows is that Page wasn't using a real piano on tour back then. If that bugs you, go for early-to-mid 1993. (Starting in August 93 they really began to jam more freely, which is a great thing but might not be best for where you're at right now.) This is a classic early 93 show: Phish.in

If you can, seek out official releases for better sound quality.

budwhite, trd, jay.dee and 2 others like this.
  16. heathen

heathen Forum Resident

Even though 94 is my favorite year of Phish all around, I don't think it's the best choice in this context. That said, one could do a lot worse.

Billy_Sunday and trd like this.
  17. CantonJester

Interesting. I took his point to mean less production and more musicianship (not that Billy Breathes isn't an amazing LP), but I can see what you mean.

I'd start at '93 for the reasons you cited about Page's gear.

18. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

The irony for me is I listen to the first set more! Perfect introduction for a new person as well.

trd likes this.
  19. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

As others have said:
    1. 6.18.94
    2. First set Bomb Factory.
    3. 12.7.97

Report back.

20. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

In general 92-95 is a good intro to Phish era. Around summer 94 they get into more of the 30 minute improvs that not everyone likes, that are especially common in summer 95.

budwhite, ARK and Billy_Sunday like this.
  21. heathen

heathen Forum Resident

The show as a whole is a perfect encapsulation of what makes 94 so great. They could still play tight and efficient, but also could get really out there and wild. The first set gives you the tight efficient older Phish, while the second set gives you the newer wild and free Phish.

22. heathen

heathen Forum Resident

If he doesn't like Free, starting with anything 95 or later is probably not a good idea. For one thing it was pretty heavy in the rotation in 95.

23. CantonJester

We only know he doesn't like Free. We don't know why. Maybe it's not the improv...Maybe it could just be the heavier, funky sound. Or it could be the nautical theme, haha..

24. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

6/22/94 was my first show and I remember feeling lost during the second set.

25. 420JJJazz666

420JJJazz666 Hasta Siempre, Comandante

Yes, less production. I've heard the studio version of Free and hated it.
    I listen to a lot of improvisational music, some of it really really far out (for example, Sun Ra is my all time favorite artist), so improv doesn't bother me in the slightest.
    I will check out this 94 show and see how it goes.

Billy_Sunday, jay.dee, adamos and 3 others like this.