Phish: What Are You Listening To?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by B-Mike, Jul 27, 2015.

1. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

This fall is one big jam sandwich. Pretty damn tasty.

2. heathen

heathen Forum Resident

@420JJJazz666 What did you end up listening to, and what did you think of it?

warewolf95 likes this.
  3. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Yeah, I found the highlights tracklisting kind of odd, and the whole thing a bit underwhelming, honestly. (Granted, IMO "Roggae" is barely a song) And I don't hate Trey's "dad-rock" stuff like some people do, I know they're not going to be writing "Fluffhead 2.0" 30+ years into a career, and that's fine, but it seemed to rely a bit heavily on those songs. Like, it's a perfectly fine listen as a streaming thing but I did find it a bit odd, overall, and particularly safe with the song choices. I assume the complete box is sold out, so I'm hoping at some point down the line the thing comes to digital. They haven't really added much new of significance to the general public streaming service catalog in awhile so that might be something they'll do at some point.

warewolf95 likes this.
  4. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

Inglewood last night was only my 2nd Phish show. I've been listening to them on and off since Rift came out, but never caught a show until 2013.

The people sitting in front of me were at Chula Vista as well and they were saying how fantastic it was.

Well... after the first set they turned to us and said that this show already surpassed that one.

It was incredible in every way, tbh. Just blown away.

5. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Not one of my favorites, but the vocal arrangement is nice and I guess the band enjoys the slow shuffle groove.

As for the official release, it would be fun to have but I have a folder of Charlie Miller's recordings of the entire run.

warewolf95 likes this.
  6. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

That show looks incredible setlist-wise and based on the Jambase review. Glad you enjoyed it. As I said previously in this thread, the four Bay Area shows I've seen this year make we want to drop everything and travel to Phish shows for the first time since the '90s. They are on fire right now. I have a bunch of friends who will be at the Santa Barbara Bowl show tomorrow, but unfortunately a mid-week drive to Santa Barbara and back is not in the cards for me, nor is Vegas because Halloween is still a big enough deal for my kids that I don't want to miss being with them.

7. CybrKhatru

Understood. I am so tempted to go to Vegas for 10/31 but I do not have the time or funds for it, sadly...

8. Jerfan13

Jerfan13 Makes wrinkles advertised as creases

Vegas is gonna be something…

Joti Cover, lucan_g and CybrKhatru like this.
  9. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Well, it looks you caught a great one at the Forum at least.

CybrKhatru likes this.
  10. CybrKhatru

Indeed. I am very grateful.. Pun intended :D

Crispy Rob likes this.
  11. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Last night’s setlist is making me very jealous. Can’t wait to listen…

warewolf95 and Crispy Rob like this.
  12. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

All of this talk really piqued my interest, so I picked up 10/23. Holy moly, they are completely locked in! I'm going to check out last night's show next, and definitely those two SF shows.

Joti Cover, lucan_g, adamos and 2 others like this.
  13. leefarber

leefarber Senior Member

Last night at the Forum was fun and crazy, but a bit haphazard. I couldn't believe it went so long (not that I was complaining). Definitely unique, but a bit of a kitchen sink feel. 10/23 on the other hand was a work of art from beginning to end. A beautifully cohesive show that I believe will be studied for years to come. I'm serious... there was something really special about it. This road to Halloween is wonderfully nutty. Can't wait to see where it leads!

14. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

I’m pretty likely to buy the Halloween stream but those west coast start times…

15. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

The main exclusion to me was the obvious Lawn Boy. Surely they excluded that on purpose...

16. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

"Stash" heading to commercial in the first World Series game.

ARK, johnnypaddock and warewolf95 like this.
  17. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

Free earlier.

ARK and johnnypaddock like this.
  18. zakyfarms

First Tube now.

johnnypaddock likes this.
  19. mdphunk

mdphunk Sharing in the groove

Anyone heading to Vegas this weekend? We are doing a live podcast taping at Brooklyn Bowl 1:00 PM sat and Sun afternoons. Say hi!

trd and leefarber like this.
  20. trd

trd Forum Resident

ARK, adamos, CybrKhatru and 2 others like this.
  21. johnnypaddock

Just finished 10/24... Wow. That was seriously something else, non-stop greatness. Both sets were incredible but that second set is an instant classic if you ask me.

22. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Earlier - ChangesOneBowie

Now - Pat Benatar Crimes of Passion

23. zakyfarms

The previous night was more to my taste, but they're all good these days.

johnnypaddock and Crispy Rob like this.
  24. leefarber

leefarber Senior Member

Last night in Santa Barbara was STELLAR. A close second to 10/23 Chula of the three So Cal shows (not that I didn't enjoy the nuttiness of 10/24). Almost everything was jammed, segues flowed naturally, a standalone Weekapaug from out of nowhere, and stage banter that we only later realized originated from Trey's 1983 demo "Bivouac Jaun". This truly is 4.0 and they are at the top of their game. Halloween is going to be nuts.

Billy_Sunday and Crispy Rob like this.
  25. johnnypaddock

I would have a really hard time choosing between the two.