Phish: What Are You Listening To?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by B-Mike, Jul 27, 2015.

1. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Oh! You should have so made the Lizards reference. You blew it, man. :D I wasn't even thinking of that line last night.

adamos likes this.
  2. wavethatflag

Max Creek! I used to see them in wonderful Albany, NY.

footlooseman and Crispy Rob like this.
  3. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

Mike puts on a great show. I have seen him now 4 or 5 times over the years, always a good time. Scott M of course is a masterful player, super shredder for sure.

Not planning to see Trey this weekend, believe it or not. These days it's getting harder and harder (as you get older!) to make it to out of town shows. 2017 will go down in my personal phishtory as the first year since 1990 that Phish has toured and I do not see them at least once. Kinda sad. Oh well. I probably could'a hit Colorado if I had made it a priority...

Mike is coming to Santa Cruz. I'll be at that one for sure!

Crispy Rob likes this.
  4. hyde park

hyde park Forum Resident

Was planning to catch Mike when he played in Chicago (at the Metro which would have been great) - but I hear that whole 'harder and harder (as you get older!) thing...

Crispy Rob and Billy_Sunday like this.
  5. wavethatflag

Do you have his albums with Leo Kottke? Those are worth getting, esp. the first one.

I bought Mike's Green Sparrow or whatever CD from Rasputin for .99 cents. It was OK. It sounded vaguely like The Steve Miller Band. I should listen to it again probably.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
    Crispy Rob and Billy_Sunday like this.
  6. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I haven't heard any solo Mike, even the Kottke ones. Will pick up any that I find next time I'm at Amoeba or Rasputin though.

Billy_Sunday and wavethatflag like this.
  7. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

8. JimSmiley

JimSmiley Team Blue Note

Fall 97. Cow funk.

johnnypaddock, Crispy Rob and Cassius like this.
  9. Harry Hood

Harry Hood Forum Resident

Mmm, setlist looks good! But it's so long since I played it I can't remember how it sounds.

adamos likes this.
  10. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

Been a long time since I saw the creek. Always a popular band in New England, even saw them warm up for the Jerry band back in 83. Rob fried grew up near me, he was a nice guy went to dinner with him and a buddy who played drums one time.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  11. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

It's good; 1996 may be a transitional year but I like it. Good Slave to The Traffic Light to close the first set. Also a nice Fast Enough For You and Tela is always welcome.

In the second set Mike's Song > Lifeboy > Weekapaug Groove is solid. There are also a few acoustic numbers late in the set (mainly from the soon to be released Billy Breathes).

12. Harry Hood

Always love a 96/97 Slave. And I think I remember using this Lifeboy for my ipod comp - it might even be the only v1.0 official live version available, from memory.

adamos likes this.
  13. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

I was at 8/13/96. I don't recall in being "epic" but It would be fun to go back and listen, I'm sure I have that Live Phish disc somewhere no doubt covered in sleeve slime. My favorite of the August run was 8/6/97 Red Rocks, but I think the later fall shows 11/23-12/6 were probably the best of the year.

Today is all about celebrating 11/21/97. What a great night. We made our way down 3/4 of the way towards the stage dead center half way between the stage and the board, so my buddy could run his Schoeps. Set II may my favorite set of the 4. It was my first show indoors that year hearing Mike's new modulus bass, it was very powerful. We played the DAT several more times that night in the Holiday Inn just across the street until just before the sun came up, with at least a half dozen random groups making their way through our room at some point during the evening.

14. Harry Hood

20 years ago today......

GuidedByJonO))), Cassius and adamos like this.
  15. phish

phish Jack Your Body

I was listening to A Live One on vinyl yesterday evening and today I popped the Orange Beach, AL show in the car cd player. That was the missus and my best friend's first show and I though it was right decent.

Orange Beach, AL

SET 1: Chalk Dust Torture, The Moma Dance, Heavy Things, 555, Rift > 46 Days, Tube, Devotion To a Dream, Wolfman's Brother, The Ballad of Curtis Loew, Free > Character Zero
    SET 2: Down with Disease[1] > Theme From the Bottom > Tweezer > Prince Caspian > Waiting All Night > Fuego > Slave to the Traffic Light > Also Sprach Zarathustra > Boogie On Reggae Woman -> Run Like an Antelope
    ENCORE: Bouncing Around the Room > Tweezer Reprise

[1] Unfinished.
    DWD was unfinished. Fuego included a brief Tweezer jam. Antelope contained Munsters theme and Boogie On teases. Fish quoted Setting Sail in Tweezer Reprise.

johnnypaddock and adamos like this.
  16. hyde park

hyde park Forum Resident

Phish has a great sale going on their website - looks like my wife and two kids will each get a Phish t-shirt for Christmas.

wavethatflag likes this.
  17. wavethatflag

Amsterdam 8 CD box set for $17.77 is a no-brainer.

18. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

After watching the culmination of my entire sports life growing up in the state of Michigan: ***** slapping the Ohio State Buckeyes on our way to a national championship
    [​IMG]

And slightly worse for wear from the long night prior, we scuffle for that prime FOB spot again, and they drop Mikes>Hydrogen>Weekapaugh followed by Hood. I know that soon after the band would make a habit of dropping almost cliche big moment/over the top setlists but at the time this was unheard of. Fall 97 felt like the a championship run in sports: Momentum ,confidence and execution just snowballed. The band felt it, the audience knew it as well. People are loosing their ****, and taking it in , living in that moment the best they could because they knew it was a special place in time that would never happen again.

[​IMG]

19. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

Very much enjoyed the most recent episode, turning points part 2. Episode 123: Turning points in Phish history w/Wally Holland (part 2) | Free Podcasts | PodOmatic"
    Although personally I would've snuck Chilling Thrilling in there, probably at the expense of Lawn Boy.
    Honorable mention to the slow Llama? Maybe not, but I sure love it.

mdphunk and adamos like this.
  20. skyjelly

skyjelly Forum Resident

Livephish also has a sale going on right now. 50% off!

Ivand and adamos like this.
  21. mdphunk

mdphunk Sharing in the groove

zakyfarms likes this.
  22. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Going back to listen to more of the original series again. This is a fun, hot show.

23. CowboyBill

CowboyBill Forum Resident

No mentionn of not bringing Goo Balls into the show. ;)

24. Ivand

Ivand Forum Resident

With the ongoing discount at Live Phish, I was hoping folks could recommend some Live Bait releases. I’ve only heard Vol 12, which is available on mp3 for free.

Thanks!

25. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

Looks like they are all free now. Have at it!