Phish: What Are You Listening To?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by B-Mike, Jul 27, 2015.

1. hyde park

hyde park Forum Resident

Received all our Phish shirts a couple of days ago - can't wait for our family Christmas morning picture sporting Phish.

I been listening to them for over 25 years and I finally have an actual Phish shirt...

2. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Trying to remember which volume has the hour long "Runaway Jim" from Worcester 97.

wavethatflag and Crispy Rob like this.
  3. B-Mike

B-Mike Forum Resident Thread Starter

That's Vol. 3.

wavethatflag likes this.
  4. JimSmiley

JimSmiley Team Blue Note

[​IMG]
    12-06-1997
    Gin>Foam. Fantastic Tweezer and Rocky Top encore.

wavethatflag, Cassius, adamos and 2 others like this.
  5. JimSmiley

JimSmiley Team Blue Note

[​IMG]

And now 12-07-1997. Another great fall 97 show.

6. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

Southpark Meadows 7/25/1998 First Set. Man how do I miss that venue.

Cassius and Billy_Sunday like this.
  7. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

Yeah, I'm going "phishing" yeah, that's it!

I actually "smuggled" a Canadian with an expired US Visa back into the US after the 5-22-94 Phish show in Vancouver. We had all driven up together (in my car). My friend in question was (and still is, ha ha) Canadian, living in the US for work. Anyway yeah on the way back he was like, 'uh, I think my Visa is expired I might not be able to get back into the US, what should we do...?'

Me: crouch down on the floor in the back seat and pull those blankets over you

Luckily, we were more or less waved through....

And, yes, I was at the 2 July '97 Amsterdam shows. Good times. Back of the worm, indeed. That was one heckuva show to trip at!!! :yikes:

8. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

Heads up: tomorrow, Jambase will be premiering official audio of the 30-minute "otherworldly" Simple from 12/9/97.

Cassius and JimSmiley like this.
  9. JimSmiley

JimSmiley Team Blue Note

10. ScramMan2

ScramMan2 Forum Resident

Live Phish Vol. 5: 7/8/00, Alpine Valley Music Theater, East Troy, Wisconsin

jay.dee likes this.
  11. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I was at that show. I didn't think it was great so I was surprised when they released it. There are subtleties I like on the CD though.

12. ScramMan2

ScramMan2 Forum Resident

I worked there from 2006 through 2012. Always on the east lawn right before you get into the pavilion.

nitsuj likes this.
  13. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

Helping Friendly Podcast

The latest episode of the Helping Friendly Podcast focuses on two great fall '97 shows (12/2 & 12/3 - Philadelphia) and is a great listen. The guys are fun to listen to and they certainly know their stuff. They put a lot of work into these podcasts and I greatly appreciate being able to listen.

14. JimSmiley

JimSmiley Team Blue Note

That is a helluva Mike's Groove on 12-2.

Dec 02, 1997 Setlist - Phish.net

jay.dee and Mike Dow like this.
  15. JimSmiley

JimSmiley Team Blue Note

16. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Always nice to revisit this one.

17. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

Has anyone ripped that Simple stream? I'd appreciate a copy.

18. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I was listening to 12.12.92....my first show.

19. JimSmiley

JimSmiley Team Blue Note

20. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

Right On. I saw my first show the same week....hard to believe (in some ways) it's been 25 years.

PHISH, THURSDAY 12/10/1992
    STATE THEATER
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Soundcheck: Blues Jam, The Wedge, Dog Log

SET 1: Golgi Apparatus, Llama, Foam, Fee[1] > Poor Heart > Split Open and Melt, I Didn't Know[2] > All Things Reconsidered[3], Reba,Sweet Adeline[4], Cavern

SET 2: Rift, Tweezer > Tela > My Sweet One > Big Ball Jam > Maze, Glide, You Enjoy Myself[5], Hold Your Head Up > Love You > Hold Your Head Up, I Walk the Line, The Oh Kee Pa Ceremony > Suzy Greenberg

ENCORE: Bold As Love, Carolina[4], Tweezer Reprise

[1] Trey sang verses through megaphone.
    [2] Fish on Madonna washboard.
    [3] Simpsons, Random Note, and Aw ****! signals.
    [4] Without microphones.
    [5] Extended jam segment of duets, first Trey and Fish, then Page and Mike.
    Trey sang the verses of Fee through a megaphone. I Didn’t Know featured a Madonna washboard solo from Fish. All Things Reconsidered was introduced by Trey as “the variation on NPR’s All Things Considered theme” and featured Simpsons, Random Note and Aw ****! signals. Sweet Adeline and Carolina were performed without microphones. YEM included an Odd Couple theme tease and an extended jam segment of duets, first Trey and Fish, then Page and Mike. Fish introduced Mike as "The Man in Black" after I Walk the Line. The Wedge from the soundcheck incorporated elements of I Want You (She's So Heavy).

musicarus, lucan_g, adamos and 2 others like this.
  21. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I was not at those two shows, but saw a bunch around that time, the two Port Chester Capitol Theater shows in late November and then the new year's run at the New Haven Palace Theater, Springfield, and Boston. They were playing at such a high level and with so much energy back then... (That's not a knock on recent shows, they are a mature and different band, but still excellent. I didn't see them this year due to lack of Bay Area shows, but the shows I caught in 2014-2016 in particular were outstanding).

22. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

I really enjoyed my first few shows but felt like Summer of 93, specifically August, was when they went technicolor. They talked about the SOAM from 4/21/93 (the one on Hoist) being the break through for them. At that point they broke through their own limitations in their collective mind of what Phish could be and realized that Phish could be anything. Absolute freedom, that combined with the momentum they had going in terms of their growth snowballed into the perfect storm. 93/94 they were on a run very analogous to an up and coming sports team on the run towards their first championship. Confidence +excitement + momentum. Also I'm of the opinion that 29 on the cusp of 30 is a magic age/sweet spot. Trey turned 30 in 94, Jerry in 72. Based on these 2 gents as a case study for exploratory improvisational guitar skills , It's a good age where there is still plenty of youth/balls/aggressiveness combined with a bit of knowledge and wisdom, driving towards perfect goldie locks playing.

Last unrelated thought: 6/26/95 SPAC YEM. Came up on shuffle during my commute last night. First time I've ever locked in and focused on that one. 95 was one of the finest years for YEM and this version is a true highlight. I very quickly lost any inhibition in terms of my outwardly appearance to fellow commuters. If you're looking for inspiration, check this one out.

23. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Good point. I saw several shows in '93, but only one in August, and then didn't see any until mid-'95, the longest gap I had between shows until when I lost interest for several years from '99-'09 (in part because the band arguably lost nterest as well). However, the later '93 and especially '94 shows that I've heard are great. That era is also when they really learned to play bigger places, which I couldn't have envisioned working as well with the '92 approach.

Cassius likes this.
  24. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I was holding off until I bought the CDs from LivePhish, but don't have the funds for a little bit, so I finally decided to jump in and start streaming audience copies of the Baker's Dozen shows while at work today - haven't heard anything from the run until now. Just wrapping up first set of night 1 right now.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
  25. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I was at July 28/29 of Bakers this summer, and I’m heading back to MSG for the New Years run. The bug seems to have bitten me once again 25years on...old habits die hard....