Phish: What Are You Listening To?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by B-Mike, Jul 27, 2015.

1. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

It's probably for the best that my area isn't getting a show, since I doubt I'd know if I could even afford the tickets until well after the sale dates.

2. mdphunk

mdphunk Sharing in the groove

Expect a Watkins Glen fest announcement in the near future, on top of these dates. Also a strong chance of a fall tour that would hit the midwest and south.

Hopefully doing Camden through Watkins.

3. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Hope you're right about this. None of these tourdates are really reachable from Nashville. (If they were playing actual Atlanta instead of a lame suburb that adds an hour to drive time, that might be an option).

4. Tom B

Tom B Forum Resident

Request put in for some west dates. I’ll be in California around then, so two nights at Tahoe, 2 in SF, 2 in LA then a single Austin night for the way home. Seven potentials. Fingers crossed. Could be a fun couple of weeks - with time for a Portland, Oregon diversion between Tahoe and SF dates.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
    Crispy Rob and wavethatflag like this.
  5. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I was there in the front row across from Page that night. It was a blast, as you would guess. [Edit: when you get to Carini, just imagine it is a crowd in Amsterdam that didn't know that the hell they were playing coming out of that long post-DWD jam, as that was the first version played.]

6. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I requested both nights in Tahoe and both at Bill Graham Civic. Weekday shows in Tahoe might be tough for me to pull off, but I can cross that bridge when I get there. Or if I wind up getting Tahoe and Bill Graham, trade the former for the latter. Certainly plan to hit the Bill Graham shows, as it's been a Phish drought for two long around these parts.

7. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Hate that they’ve abandoned Toronto the last few years.

Watkins or Dick’s...decisions decisions...

wavethatflag likes this.
  8. GuidedByJonO)))

[​IMG]

Wrapping up my listen to the second night of The Great Went. A killer three set show and a great prelude to the Fall tour to come. Just so many highlights, especially in the second and third sets. Set two is just straight killer all the way through, with arguably one of the best ever "Diseases" right into arguably a Top 10 "Gin". Toss in a loose "2001" (before it got too predictable, imho) and a nice "Hood". Up there with one of the single best sets ever. Three inevitably tones down a little, but I'm a sucker for the "Caspian" and the "Mule" with the "Digital Delay Loop Jam" is always fun to hear.

9. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

That was a very fun weekend.

jdrueke and Billy_Sunday like this.
  10. GuidedByJonO)))

Extremely jealous. There was talk among my friends of making a road trip out there for it, but the logistics and real life interference kept it from happening. Had to settle for the two nights at Deer Creek instead (the first night being particularly memorable with the "Rotation Jam") and later that Fall in Champaign (with what remains my favorite "Wolfman's" of all time.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  11. B-Mike

B-Mike Forum Resident Thread Starter

The Great Went begs for an official release.

jay.dee, adamos, Mike Dow and 2 others like this.
  12. GuidedByJonO)))

Agreed, it would make for a very cool package. Heck, maybe even a big Festival Box. The Went is out there in good quality thanks to the FM broadcast, but I'd love an official release.

13. Vorlon

Vorlon Forum Resident

Laurie Anderson's Oh Superman. These days "and when justice is gone - there's force" gives me the shivers.

14. mdphunk

mdphunk Sharing in the groove

The combination of video from the screens and film that Todd Phillips shot could make a great video package. I'd love remixed audio, too.

musicarus and GuidedByJonO))) like this.
  15. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

My first show... I was never the same after that weekend! An all time great poster too. Thanks for posting this one... I'm playing it ASAP.

Mike Dow, Crispy Rob and musicarus like this.
  16. nitsuj

nitsuj Forum Resident

Was hoping for an Alpine weekend as well (Dead&Co will feed that jones). I have heard some talk about midwest fall tour dates from some 1.0 nerds.

17. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

18. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

1.0 is simply a sign of good taste. :D

ribonucleic, jay.dee and nitsuj like this.
  19. nitsuj

nitsuj Forum Resident

Of course, a term of endearment on my part :thumbsup:

lucan_g likes this.
  20. tvstrategies

tvstrategies Turtles, all the way down.

21. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

I can be seen briefly in this film, the scene outside Den Gra Hall in Copenhagen where Trey is hanging out and chatting with some heads...

Crispy Rob, adamos and Ivand like this.
  22. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

I have requested a ticket for the first show at Dick's in Denver. Fingers crossed

Erik B., Billy_Sunday and adamos like this.
  23. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I saw them in Toronto in the early 00s. I went with a friend who was completely out of his element but liked the show anyway. It was an outdoor venue, nice place. The ticket was pink with an elephant on it, if that jogs anyone's memory.

budwhite likes this.
  24. GuidedByJonO)))

Whoa. Had my mind blown in a weird way just now.

I'm working my way through Parke Puterbaugh's Phish: The Biography (a little under halfway through so far), so I was reading through a thread on the phish.net forum about the book to see what others thought. I saw references to some negative reviews that really messed with Trey's mind and were even tossed around during the 2004 break-up. I wasn't an obsessive phan at the time of that break-up, I'd shifted down into casual mode for a few years, so I didn't really pay a ton of attention, though I'd heard word of bad reviews.

Anyway... that thread led me to a review of Puterbaugh's book by the very guy who wrote those bad reviews, as he fully acknowledges.

The part that blew my mind? That it was Jesse Jarnow that wrote those reviews. I had no idea. And I've loved Jarnow for many, many years - through his Yo La Tengo book, The Frow Show on WFMU, his Dead tweeting and his articles about the Dead for Pitchfork. But I had no idea he (very possibly) played a key part in Phish's 2004 break-up.

This might be general knowledge to many of you, but it kind of took me aback. Like I said, I was going through other life stuff at the time and not fully dialed into Phish.

Edited to add a link to the article where Jarnow talks about it:
    Review of Phish: The Biography

25. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Watkins