Phono pre or cartridge decision

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Pinknik, Mar 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member Thread Starter

I'm mulling over the possibility of getting a mono cartridge for my turntable. I've got a JMW10 tonearm, and can get a second arm tube, so listening to mono or stereo would be as easy switching the tube. This isn't super cheap, nor is it super expensive, but would I be just as well off finding another phono-pre with a mono switch on it? Right now, I have a stereo phono-pre with no mono switch. I'm curious for any opinions and ideas and suggestions, thanks.

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I think mono tips (no matter how expensive) are harder on fragile grooves than stereo tips. Why take a chance on inner groove damage?

Do you have a LOT of mono LP's and are they very clean? If so, protect them. I would stick with a stereo cart and just build a little passive "L+R" switchbox that you can insert after your preamp and before your amp. Cost you $50.

My 2 cents.

3. Pinknik

Thanks for the tip Steve. I don't really have a ton, but I do have several that I enjoy immensely, yer Elvis & Pet Sounds for instance, Classic's Axis: Bold as Love, several Beatle monos, the Doors first, Surrealistic Pillow to name a few. Being no technical wiz, how might I build that passive device of which you speak? Thanks :)

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Well, basically, if you go to Radio Shack and get a couple of Y connectors you could do the same thing. The old "double Y" deal.

The idea is to get your two output interconnects into a Y, combining the stereo signal to L+R mono and then splitting that mono back into two equal parts for your two speakers.

In other words, start with two ends turning into one at the other end and then splitting that "one" back to two for your speakers..... Do that by plugging a female Y with two male ends coming out the other side.

Then just plug those into your amp and you will have a mono summed signal coming out of both male ends.

Having read that back it makes no sense, and I can't draw pictures on this thing, but for about $6.00 you could do it. Problem is, you have to undo it when you want to go back to stereo, but hey, who said life was easy?

Can anyone else translate the above into English?

5. Pinknik

Actually, I know exactly what you're talking about, I was going to ask if doing that would accomplish the exact same thing or not. Wonder if Audioquest or Monster make Y-connectors :)

6. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

No, Steve's got yer back. Don't bother going into Monster cable and getting wikkid crazy 'bout it. Remember - Mono is simple. Your pre's are also low, and the one thing you don't want to do is get overzelous with your pre cables. (MHO)

Course, out from the pre to your amp, sure. Amp to the speaks, definately! ;)

The Rat Shack is fine.

You can get a "Y" for your RCA going into a single RCA. Then buy the same thing in the opposite sex so that your channels cross into mono, paired.

L/R from pre >====--====< L/R to TT

Cheap, easy and not a big deal. Me thinks you won't have really much of a difference unless your cart and pre has a tad of crosstalk, which STILL shoulnd't be an issue.

Try it. (shrugs sholders) You MAY find a difference.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.