Phono pre/Preamp/Amp/Monoblock combination that provide SPEED & CONTROL

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by hoangkhoi1207, May 23, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hoangkhoi1207

hoangkhoi1207 Member Thread Starter

Hi all

I'm Kevin and I would like to ask you guys for a combination of phono preamp, preamp and monoblock that would provide speed, bass authority & punch to the music.

I just started this audio path about 5 years ago, I listened mainly to HipHop (sorry not sorry), and rock, funk, soul, and sometimes jazz too, not much so in classical, vocals, laid back, chill type of music, hence the speed and control of the music is the most important factor to me.

Here is my current setup:

• Soure: vintage Thornes TD125 Long Base with Audio Technica VM760SLC MM Cart.
    • Rega Fono Mini A2D phono preamp
    • Rouge Audio Cronos Magnum Integrated Amp 1st generation
    • Bel Canto REF1000M Monoblocks
    • Joseph Audio Pearl speakers 1st generation

I have made 2 mistakes before:

1. I used to have the EAR 834P MM/MC phonostage on tube, which is very slow and laid back that I switch to the Rega and found it suite me much better.

2. I added 2 Bel Canto REF1000M Monoblock and they slow down the speed & less power on the music as well. However, the details & the soundstage that these Monoblock brought to the systems is immense & beautiful hence I kept that in the system chain

I would like to upgrade my systems provide a faster speed, more control but retain the huge soundstage like the Bel Canto monoblocks.

1. Replace the Cronos Magnum Integrated with a preamp

2. Replace the Rega Fono to a better phonostage, preferably with MC for future upgrades.

3. Replace the Bel Canto monoblocks

I know this could take me a while to finish these upgrades, however I would like to know what should I be looking for? Brand names, models, etc? I am in Singapore and it is not easy to get new equipment that provide audition, most of the time I will be looking at local marketplace and buy used equipment, which I much prefer but most of the case I will be unable to audition them.

One of the audio dealer I know told me to go for Naim if I want the speed, for phonostage I can go with Avid, is that true?

I am very grateful to have your opinion on this, thank you guys all very much in advance.

Thank you
    Kevin

2. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

I'm guessing you're Bi-amping because the CM shouldn't be run without powering speakers. Have you tried swapping the connection to your speakers?

hoangkhoi1207 likes this.
  3. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

hi Kevin,
    the JA Pearls are excellent sounding loudspeakers but they will never win any awards for realistic transoent speed and dynamics even when partnered with robust seperate amplification.
    an efficient speaker like an audio note an e or an j or spendor d series will meet your goals with your current amplifier.
    i had the rogue cronus mag ii with spendor d7 speakers and the speed, timing and punch were like that of a horn speaker with none of the drawbacks.
    think about it, i would hate to see you dump money and not meet your goals.

4. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I dunno anything about these speakers. Are they the type of audiophile demo show speakers that are meant for playing pared back, acoustic music? Like a jazz trio, string quartet, or "girl and guitar" type music? If that's the case I wouldn't expect great results with hip hop music out of them...

5. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

Get the rega fono mini a2d out of your system. It's really not up to the rest of your system. I had one long time ago and gave it to my daughter for her play-fi system.

hoangkhoi1207 and theflattire like this.
  6. hoangkhoi1207

Thank you guys all for the inputs, I shall reply as below:

Nope my JA Pearl can't be bi-amped. The CM has an output as preamp so I run it through there.

Defintely. I know that this is currently the weak link in my system, I used to have an EAR 834 Tube Phono which sound great but too laid back, I only have the Rega on hand so I prefer it over the Ear. Do you have any recommendation for Phonostages that provide speed/fast pace that I asked for, and could handle a MC cart?

Nope, JA speakers are quite versatile, hence i like them very much as I can listen to different genres.

Thank you very much for your advise, I shall look & try those speakers if they are available, great idea, however, for now I will be sticking with these JA speakers as I know they can sound much faster/speedy. I used to have the older bookshelf JA RM7XL running through a simpler Audio Technica LP7 TT with integrated phono and the same Cronos Magnum integrated and they sounds great. However, the amount of details & size of the soundstage can't be compared to my current set up, on the other hand, I traded off the speed that I'm looking for.

In fact, I tried removing the monoblocks and hook the Cronos Magnum directly to the Pearl, they do sound faster, but again, I lose the soundstage & details. So I believe I could improve the amplification modules first, starting with a better , faster phonostage & preamp, removing the integrated and maybe changing the monoblocks as well, at the same time I'll be on the look out to try those speakers you recommend.

My local marketplace here is having a Naim NAC 202 preamp for sale at about $1k. Could it be a first option to swap out for the Cronos Magnum integrated acting as preamp at the moment?

7. Slack

Slack Forum Resident

Supratek makes preamps with superb phono stages and they sound very fast and dynamic.MC only though.The power amp is much less important once you get a really good preamp and you may not recognise your Bel cantos with a good preamp driving them.Or look at cheap gainclone type chip amps -they are not perfect but at least sound fast and dynamic.
    I agree about the EAR 834 preamp.That is a very old fashioned soggy sounding phono preamp.The Suprateks sound nothing like that.

8. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

Speed is not a quality that I look for or even would be able to recognize in a component so no phono preamp recommendations from me. I don't get the whole 'PRAT' stuff, sorry. However I just bought an Elac Alchemy phonostage that sounds very dynamic (more dynamic than all my previous phono preamps), it has inputs for 2 TT's (even balanced in and outs) and 2 channel (L and R) gain pots for loading MC carts anywhere between 0 and 1k (and a screen to monitor the loading). Haven't tried the MC setting yet, but the MM sounds very dynamic.

9. B. Scarpia

B. Scarpia WatchingYouWatchingMe

Shunt regulated passive RIAA phono, JE Labs 76 Pre, Mullard 5-20 inspired KT-88 Mono Blocks
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Sorry, not for sale.

je245 and hoangkhoi1207 like this.
  10. hoangkhoi1207

Wow I certainly haven't seen this brand before and it looks like the brand is also not common here in my area. I will read up on more review, it looks intersting and initial reading all show up the good stuff about these preamps. Thanks so much for the recommendation. Do you know any other brand like this but more common that I could find a 2nd hand piece?

Thanks! I'll take a look at the Elac, even though I have a bad experience with Elac equipment before. haha

11. Slack

Slack Forum Resident

Supratek really can't be beaten.There would be some in Singapore.They are more common than you think.On Audiogon there is a thread about them-Preamp Deal of the Century which has had 26 million views.Just they are a made to order item and you buy direct from the maker so have to wait for one.But that is why they are good value-no retail mark up.Maybe contact Supratek and ask about any in Singapore or I know owners in Perth if you wanted to pop down there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.