Phono stage recommendation around $2000

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Lachy, Nov 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lachy

Lachy Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Unfortunately after many attempts at reviving my dysfunctional and noisy phono stage I’ve given up it on it. Even after sending it to the manufacturer for repair, and a second failed repair by a third party I don’t want to sink anymore money into it. As such I’m now in the market for a quality phono stage around the $2000-2500 price point.

Here is my current system:
    VPI Prime Scout Turntable
    Soundsmith Aida Cartridge
    PH16X phono stage (recently declared dead)
    Atoll Electronique IN100se integrated amp
    Magnepan 1.7i speakers
    Fully treated room w/homemade panels

As for sound, I love a clean, fast, and transparent presentation. I crave that detail that makes a recording sound real.

I mostly listen to classical/jazz music, but occasionally I spin some rock.

I’d love some recommendations from people! Through my own research I’ve found the Sutherland 20/20 which looks like a stellar piece of equipment and appeals to my engineering background. Can anybody comment on the sound of it?

displayname likes this.
  2. jfine

jfine Forum Resident

Used Manley Chinook, and you can use the tubes you had from the PH16.

tman53 likes this.
  3. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

I got nuthin' for you other my my personal observation, I'm quite satisfied plugging my turntables directly into my amps with their on board phono stages. Doesn't anybody do that anymore and just listen to the music?

Dale A B likes this.
  4. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

The Icon Audio PS1 MK2 is one I'd look at. Two-chassis design with choke filtered power supply, tube regulation, nice no-feedback design, quality MC input transformers, point to point wiring, just a nicely designed package, around $2000 or so from some sources, or quite a bit cheaper if buying direct from UK. Kind of the antithesis of the Sutherland designs, but there's a lot of ways to good sound, just have to select the flavor you like best. I tend toward the no-feedback tube designs with good transformers, but you've got to pick your own path. Too bad about he PH16X, that seems like a nice no-feedback tube design, I'd expect it to sound nice, if it worked right.

[​IMG]

5. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Look into Graham Slee and save some money for more records. :)

Fishoutofwater and patient_ot like this.
  6. NielsSS

NielsSS Forum Resident

I can support bluemooze. I am very happy with my GS Revelation riaa and Elevator head amp. Absolutely not noisy.

Fishoutofwater and bluemooze like this.
  7. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

A Musical Surroundings Nova II sounds great (dead quiet, transparent, and detailed among other traits) and sells for $1200. I got great results with mine and a Primaluna tube integrated amp.

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  8. Tom Littlefield

Tom Littlefield Forum Resident

I am the owner of a 20/20 and it is really a stellar phone stage. Very neutral sounding and retrieves every detail from the groove of the record.

I think that you would be very happy with it!

I would suggest you get the linear power supply that Ron now sells directly. I bought directly mine from Chad who works with Ron on certain projects and I believe he builds the ones for him as well

Ontheone likes this.
  9. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

Another vote for the 20/20 here. There is at least one somewhat lengthy thread on this forum discussing the 20/20 in detail. The biggest thing I notice with this unit is how few people move on from them. The 20/20 has been on the market for awhile now, but it seems like most owners are not looking to upgrade, with the exception of adding the new power supply.

jusbe and Ontheone like this.
  10. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

How does a better preamp prevent you from just listening to the music?

11. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I would figure out what you can actually audition before committing to a purchase. Do you have a local dealer that sells any of the brands/models mentioned thus far? Do they have demo units available to take home with a deposit?

The GS Accession M is available through the factory loaner program.

This is probably an obvious suggestion, but maybe look into a Soundsmith phono stage. Presumably those would pair well with their cartridges.

bluemooze likes this.
  12. james

james Summon The Queen

13. harby

harby Forum Resident

I'll tell you one thing about that $50 BOM box, "Made in USA" doesn't normally use Chinese roman fonts on the silk screening:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Be wary of this type of font:
    [​IMG]
    (I douldn't find the exact numeral face, since it is so made-in-China it's not from any of the Chinese fonts included with Windows. Observe the monospace and terrible kerning when they plop western characters into their font face as an afterthought.)

Also the round inspection stamp.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
  14. zombiemodernist

zombiemodernist Forum Resident

In an ugly duckling way, I've always found there's something oddly charming about those asian roman typefaces, the monospacing, bizarrely compressed proportions, the truncated serifs and descenders are almost funny. But yeah for anyone who is even slightly typographically attuned it's a dead giveaway to origin of the board layout at the very least.

bluemooze, patient_ot and cut-out like this.
  15. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

The Sutherland 20/20 matches your description of your ideal phono stage. It is clear, detailed, dynamic and literally noise free.

bluemooze likes this.
  16. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Hmm. Maybe they outsource production of the boards and do finally "assembly" in California.

17. macster

macster Forum Resident

This is your chance to move away from tube slavery and bondage. Get this and just spend your time listening to the music instead of tubeosis.

M~

recstar24 likes this.
  18. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

i have been eyeing it. I have to send in my mpre for service (the volume knob got “stuck”) and there is a strong possibility they’ll be sending it back to me with a ph1 in hand.

19. Nephrodoc

Nephrodoc Forum Resident

I would add the Parasound JC3 jr to your list. But, it will ultimately depend on what’s available to addition in your area.

20. macster

macster Forum Resident

If I may be so bold as to suggest that you "talk/email" to them about purchasing a "demo/refurbished" units? My units are show demos and I ended up paying in the real low $3K inc. Ca tax for the both of them, plus the high grade power cord, plus shipping.

M~

recstar24 likes this.
  21. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

The Sutherland gear is very good, Ron will also help you out if there is an issue. Something to consider when looking is that you currently own a high output cartridge. You have more flexibility and can seek out phono stages that don't have extra gain settings and parts. However, I always buy thinking forward and try to buy gear that is better than the rest of my setup for future upgrades in other parts of the audio chain.

22. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

You should ask Garth Leerer and Michael Yee about your claim.

23. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

bluemooze likes this.
  24. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

This is a highly respected piece of equipment. What is the purpose of your post other than exposing your xenophobia?

25. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

You had to know the above post was from a guy in Davis...o_O

Balthazar likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.