SH Spotlight Photos of my visit to RTI (Record Tech). How albums are manufactured...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DoctorDave, Feb 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

"Excellent!" - Thanks Dave (and RTI)

2. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Funny--the "industrial/mechanical" geek in me would be analyzing the presses and what parts are used. "C'mon, Rood, let's get back to the mastering suite!" "Hang on! I'm checking out the pillow blocks on this press!" :D

3. dude

dude Senior Member

Are there any record plants that us normal folk can tour?

4. rmos

rmos Forum Resident

I was getting ready to ask the same question....ya beat me to it.

5. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

RTI only gives abnormal folks free tours? :confused:

6. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Nice pics... thx!

7. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Well if that's true, there's hope me then. :goodie: ;)

8. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Europadisk here in NYC used to give free tours...but that was years ago.

9. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Good! - I should be right at home then...

Bob :D

10. badfingerjoe

badfingerjoe Senior Member

Hi Dave, From the looks of it, your trip to California was a very memorable one. Those pictures are fantastic. Thanks for posting them.

Joe

11. Sput

Sput Boilerphile In Memoriam

[​IMG]

Where are the pictures of the wife and baby? It's rule 34,987 of the Husband Handbook. "Even if you drive a truck, photos of the wife and child must be displayed at the work place."
    You can lose points for that.

12. Steve Hoffman

At someone else's studio? :confused:

13. Sput

I swear I've seen photos of you, several times on this site sitting there. Once I asked about those two non speaker things on the wall. You can just see the tops of them in most shots. What are they?

14. Steve Hoffman

Behind those silver squares are the amplification units if that's what you mean.

I don't take framed pictures of my wife and kid around with me to all the studios I work at. That would be weird..

15. Sput

Yeah, that would be wierd. Eventhough I'd swear my grandfather carried his slide projector everywhere he went.

16. Steve Hoffman

That would be better. Unless of course he just had slides of his vacation in there..

17. Russ

Russ Outlaw

I've always had a preconceived notion of what occurs at a pressing plant...this was not that. I think early images of a Dark Side Of The Moon promo supplied me with vision. Odd how you can be so passionate about something and be completely off base.

I agree with thomoz...the first thing that entered my mind was, I hope they handle them as meticously as I do.

Eye opening, Thanks!

My First post....YAY!

18. michael w

michael w New Member

I'm surprised at the openness of the pressing area.

Definitely not clean room conditions, which explains the occassional piece of contaminant getting pressed onto vinyl.

And the manual sleeving explains the occurrence of scuffs and fingerprints on brand new LPs.

19. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Neither are the real big problem in the complaints we've talked about. Neither are necessarilly going to be any different than most any plant that has existed either. Did you think RCA and Columbia's plants had people employed with "dust free" space suits on? How about sleeving in the 50's and 60's? Automation isn't the problem either.

20. michael w

michael w New Member

Like looking into a time warp.

Just thought record manufacturing procedures might have updated a little.

What are these complaints you mention ?
    The "real big problem" being ?

21. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

Dr. Dave--thanks for posting these photos and captions from your trip to visit Steve and Kevin at RTI. The pictures are great...you had a wonderful trip!

22. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

A couple months ago, someone posted a link to a short film made at RCA during the shellac era. It's neat--they used to cut records in wax, vs. lacquer like they use on today's master discs. And today's records are pressed in vinyl vs. shellac. But the whole process of cutting, plating the masters, mothers and stampers, and pressing records is basically the same as it's been for decades. I downloaded this to my computer, but they were hosted over at archive.org.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.